Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Menisectomy  (Read 1764 times)

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Partial Menisectomy
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »
Hi all,

I had a partial menisectomy a couple of days ago, it all went well without any complications.  I haven't needed many pain killers and have been given crutches and exercises.  My knee is really swollen, but I can bend it to about 90 degrees.  I was wondering how other people were after the surgery, i know everyone has a different recovery time but was wondering how long it took to be able to walk without crutches and get back to full recovery.  Also, is it normal that my knee is clicking, or is it a sign that i shouldn't bend it so much? 

knee pain since very young
2008 - diagnosed with patella tilt
2010 - partial meniscectomy

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 368
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Partial Menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
Do you know how much wwas removed and from which meniscus?
Is there anything else going on with the knee?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
I have no idea how much was removed, but it was from the medial side.  I don't think it was a lot because they told me the tear that showed up on the MRI wasn't a large one.  I also have a bit of patella tilt, however, that wasn't treated during the surgery.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:35:15 PM by weirdknees »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »
I had a partial meniscectomy in February - around 10-15% of lateral meniscus removed (along with some shaving at the back of the patella.  I also have a healed over osteochondral lesion but that's another story)

I was PWB on crutches for a week after pretty much fully and then for the next couple of weeks when out and about.  Painkillers and anti-inflammatories for about 5 days - but it was never immensely sore, just took as was told to.  Back to work after 3 weeks (office job), and able to drive.

Meniscus related symptoms pretty much gone at that time, locking, giving way.  My kneecap clicks/pops whenever I bend it still, but that's due to the shaving of the patella.  Perhaps yours is just down to the inflammation following the op - are you icing regularly?  I presume you'll see a physio at some point (I saw mine at a week and two weeks after) - perhaps ask him or her, if not the OS at the post-op review (mine was 3 weeks post).

Are you doing 'bed' exercises followed by ice - leg raises, heel slides, ankle pumps?  All good for ROM and some strength

I am still having pain and swelling, but that's due to the lesion not the meniscus.  My OS said a partial meniscectomy is pretty minor and all should be normal after (I was told 6-8 weeks to recover at the time).
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
Thanks for the post.

I have had very little pain today and even tried walking on it without my crutches.  It didn't hurt to put weight on it, but it felt slightly unstable and was worried it would buckle inwards, so thinking that maybe I should stick with the crutches until it feels strong enough?  Even though it is very tempting to ditch them.

I'm icing it a little and doing as many exercises as possible - all the ones that you mentioned.  The swelling has gone down about 50% and ROM is getting a bit better.

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
Weirdknees, recovery from a meniscectomy shouldn't take too long if you don't have any complications and follow the rehab. The problem lies down the road, as there is always this doubt which hangs over having parts of your natural shock absorbers being taken out. Will we be of those who end up with arthritis ten years down the line from our newfound bone on bone situation?

Vickster, how did your lesion heal by itself?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »
I'll send you a message - it's not directly relevant to this thread  :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »
It is very early days yet.  I was told to rest pretty much in bed for 5 days getting up just for the loo and food.  They blow the knee up to the size of a pumpkin and put tubes down the size of drinking straws arthroscopy is key hole not necessarily minor.  the exercises will switch on the muscles mainly the
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:40:03 PM »
Sorry pc or web page oplaying up   The quads must be switched back on so do the exercises.  ICE loads.  The noises are probably poor tracking due to the swelling.  Treat all recovery time with a bucket of salt all OS ,s are way too optimistic.

You will have swelling aching and some pain for sometime yet  as well as the wobbly feeing due to muscles switching off.
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Thanks for all the posts  :)

I agree that the OS might be a bit too optimistic about getting up and about straight away.  I've been trying to walk around the house without the crutches a bit today, but it feels quite a bit worse than it did yesterday.  It keeps twisting inwards slightly and then I get a sharp ache, I probably need to do a lot more exercises.  Swelling has nearly gone though and nearly full ROM. 

support