Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 734 times)

Offline piffle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What to do next?
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
Hi, I need a bit of advice.

On April 1st 2010 I had arthroscopy & chrondoplasty on my right knee.  My surgeon removed some cartilage that was damaged (Grade IV) and also a large "shelf" of tissue from somewhere around my knee which he said shouldn't have been there.  This had been rubbing for many years probably and I now have an unfixable hole in my kneecap.  He also moved my knee slightly as it wasn't tracking correctly.

I was discharged from the hospital after 4 weeks but was still under physio for another 2.  I was happy to be discharged as at that time it felt like things were improving.  I wasn't feeling a lot of pain, it was still a little tight around the knee but the surgeon said it could be 2-3 months before it settled.

I am now 12 weeks post-op.  I'm still unable to fully kneel down as the scar is quite uncomfortable and there is still some tightness but other than that I have full use of me knee. However over the past few weeks the pain and achiness has been increasing. I'm feeling pain every day now - which is more than the weeks after the operation.  It's not excruciating or stopping me from doing anything but it's pretty constant. I get pain on walking upstairs most times, and any form of walking around can cause it to ache, some days even after a few minutes. I've also started to have the spasm type pain that I haven't felt since January (which was what originally made me go to the drs).

I'm a bit fed up that I've been through all this and am no better off but it was always a risk I guess. I just don't know what to do now? To I go back to my GP and get referred back to the hospital (I went private through NHS Choose and Book). I'm just wondering if there is any point, I'm not sure what else they could do but I am only 30 and the thought that I have to deal with this every single day for the rest of my life is a bit depressing.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »
Are you still doing your PT exercises regularly? They MUST be maintained, 6 weeks of PT after a scope is only enough to get you going, not to maintain the function and build up the strength. From the sound of things that they were improving, but have slipped, muscle function/tightness may be playing a part. Perhaps go back and see your PT before seeing your OS? Glutes, hips, calves, quads, hamstrings...they all need to be developed after a scope.

Bit baffled what the OS did to move your knee slightly to help the tracking - only things like soft tissue adjustment or a bony re-alignment will actually alter the tracking of the knee internally. The right muscle strengthening afterwards will play a big part in helping the overall tracking of the joint.

Sounds like you also had a plica removed - these are notoriously lengthy to recover from and again need a lot of PT and patience.

Hope things improve...but I'd be perhaps seeing a PT again and getting their view on muscle strength...

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 368
  • Neelie knee!
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
Lottie is right, the best thing to do is to try to get all the musclles as strong as you can.  This is what my OS told me after my scope in February (ok it hasn't worked for me but there is a reason).  Do you belong to a gym or can you use the local council one as payg?  Static cycling, crosstrainer, the stepper and walking on treadmill (uphill if poss) can be really good for building up legs and you can use the machines to build up the other muscles.  Just need to see which ones are comfortable for your knee.  Also, swimming is very good all round exercise  and kind to knees (stroke will depend on what you find most comfortable).  Do you ice the knee?  Is it swollen or just sore?  Are there particular activities, other than walking that aggravate it?

Get advice from your physio first before starting any exercise regimen.  Also, get him or her to check your gait as you may be walking differently and causing the ache.  Where do you get the soreness?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up