Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral vs. Medial Lesions?  (Read 901 times)

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Lateral vs. Medial Lesions?
« on: June 25, 2010, 03:58:37 AM »
In reading some of the posts on here, have noticed several comments regarding cartilage lesions contrasting medial femoral condyle lesions vs. lateral ones. Several people have noted in different situations that having a lesion and microfracture repair is preferable for the lateral condyle over the medial one and vice-versa. I have seen this in the case of other injuries too. So, i'm wondering if there is anything to this; does the mechanics of the knee cause one side to bear more of a load than the other or something else like that? Thanks.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline Loola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • How knee surgery changed my life
Re: Lateral vs. Medial Lesions?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
I had mfx of the medial femoral condyle and patella that failed. Its my understanding that the medial aspect of the knee is more weight bearing than the lateral. I am fixing to undergo aci with high tibial osteotomy. I also have a blog letting people follow my journey if your interested http://howkneesurgerychangedmylife.blogspot.com

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
Re: Lateral vs. Medial Lesions?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »
Well, let my try to give you an example..

Imagine a square on a table... if you have a medial injury, then it is on the botton of the square... if you have a lateral injury it is on the side

Now, if you grab the square and start hitting it against the table, if you have a medial injury, everytime you hit it against the table the injury will suffer..

Now, if it is lateral, it wont be a direct impact, but i guess the "vibration" will hurt it a little... I think thats the difference

did that make any sense at all. haha!

Cheers