Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Re: Ancestry  (Read 3979 times)

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 01:32:10 AM »
I am an American mix, with some heritage well researched and parts not so well known.  

Mom's side (tons of history and documents!)
:
English, tracing back to arrival on a boat in 1621 (I guess that would make me a Daughter of the American Revolution, since it is documented with our family historian, but as far as I know, no one has joined).  The last name is "Beecher", as in Harriet Beecher Stowe ("Uncle Tom's Cabin"), Ward Beecher, and so on, and it was in my line until the generation of my great-great grandparents.

Scotch-Irish.  The last name is "Gamble", and we know those relatives immigrated from Ireland in the 1850s or so (probably during the famine years).  Somehow, my sister traced the name back to the Innes/MacInnes clan when she worked at a Scottish importing company.  One of our family's original Irish immigrants shot off his fingers so he wouldn't have to fight in the Civil War.

American Indian.  Like so many, it's an undocumented piece of family history that the family ignored for a while.  I think a great-great-grandma was Cherokee.  I have none of the physical traits (as 1/16th of my heritage, it's pretty diluted)... just a fascination with the culture.

Also some lineage with the Wilsons, and rumor (though I haven't seen any documents) that we're related to Woodrow Wilson (president of the US during WWI).

Dad's side (less documented):

Hungarian.  My great-grandmother and her husband immigrated in the late 1910s, so my grandma is full Hungarian.  That makes me 25% Hungarian.  I have inherited the Eastern European figure ("curvy") with the Western European coloring (blondish hair, green eyes, fair skin).  I also have inherited the love for Hungarian food :).

English?  The last name, "Prater", traces back to England, but no one in the family has tried to trace our line.

My husband, incidentally, is 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian, 1/4 French, and 1/4 English... kind of a scary mix!  The Irish and French in him likes to drink beer and wine ... the Italian likes to drink, eat pasta, and defend the family ;).  I joke with him that someday, his Irish and Italian blood are going to add up to make a temperamental drunk :).  Good thing he can laugh :).

Cheers,
Barb :)

1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2003, 11:21:15 PM »
I'm pure blooded Irish.  On both sides of my family, we can trace ancestors back to the 1500's in Ireland.  Both my parents and myself were born there.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2003, 12:57:46 AM »
I'm a true mutt. ;D

Part Cherokee Indian, Scotch-Irish,  German & French.  I like me a lot!! ;D

I do have a rather quick temper though...wonder why?
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2003, 06:59:29 AM »
Well I hate to say it but I'm half a whinging pom.  Dad's side is from England.  We got his good teeth and not much else.
Mum's mum's family originated from Germany and came out to Aust as farmers in the 1800's.  
I don't know what that makes me but I am thankful for the really good teeth. (No fillings or dental problems, touch wood.)  
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Christina

• Regular Poster
  • May you live every day of your life
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2003, 08:26:56 AM »
Im a mutt :P

Maternal:
Great Grandmother: Russian
Great Grandfather: English, Irish, French
(my grandmother's parents)

Grandfather: Portugues

Fraternal:
Grandmother: Irish
Grandfather: Czech
Tib. Plateau fracture 5-2-03, fixation surgery 5-9-03, Three screws and a bolt, hardware removal 11-5-03, arthoscopic surgery 5-13-04 repairs were made to my lateral miniscus

Offline Christina

• Regular Poster
  • May you live every day of your life
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2003, 08:27:56 AM »
where I got Fraternal from I have no idea I mean paternal...Its like 2am give me a little slack please :-/
Tib. Plateau fracture 5-2-03, fixation surgery 5-9-03, Three screws and a bolt, hardware removal 11-5-03, arthoscopic surgery 5-13-04 repairs were made to my lateral miniscus

support