Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl reconstruction 7 days ago rt knee  (Read 678 times)

Offline airtime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl reconstruction 7 days ago rt knee
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
1st time asking question. I had crush injury to rt knee 2/20/10. Xray,mri, went to sports ortho. Told me acl, and mcl broke. Along with extensive bone bruising, and a lot of soft tissue damage. Pre-op physical therapy after 6 wks (waiting for mcl to heal). 24 therapy sessions. Outcome 95 deg bend. My question is I opt for allograft to replace per dr recommendation saying my own tendon prob no good. I have seen nurse yesterday, dressing change. 1st time I looked at knee since surgery. 4 small incisions around knee but a 3 to 4 inch incision below knee off center 2 in down 2 or 3 inches toward inside of leg. Dr appt in one week. Anyone know what the 4 inch incision is for ?

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: acl reconstruction 7 days ago rt knee
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
That's where they put the graft into your knee.  They need an opening big enough to put the graft in. Typically, they put the graft in there, afix it into a tunnel they've drilled in your tibia, then pull it up into a tunnel they've drilled in your femur using a guide wire, then affix it there. Most people who have either allografts or hamstring grafts have their largest incision in the place you've described. My biggest incision is a bit smaller than yours, but in the same location.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline airtime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: acl reconstruction 7 days ago rt knee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
Thanks Mollyc. I was wondering because didn't see dr after surgery and won't see him for another week. Was worried he found something else wrong.