Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: unloader brace once FWB after medial femoral condyle microfracture?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline poikiloid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • be nice to your knees
I have read that some clinics, including Steadman's, are now prescribing an unloading brace "once patients are becoming more active, especially when there are subtle uncorrected malalignments".

I have such malalignment: i was told i am slightly bow-legged, and my lesion was medial, so this may present added stress to the healing tissue. My lesion was well-contained (acute traumatic type), between 1 and 1.5 cm in diameter.

Has anyone used an unloader brace after microfracture?
What was the diameter of your lesion?
Was it a custom brace or off-the-shelf?
When did you start using it and how long did they recommend you use it?
Did they recommend using it all the time, only when engaged in higher impact activities?
Was it very uncomfortable?
What was the make and model of your brace, and how much did it cost you?
Covered by your insurance?

Thanks!
medial femoral condyle grade 4 articular cartilage "flap"-type lesion in r. knee, 1 cm diam (not arthritic: acute-trauma-like lesion, but unknown cause) diagnosed 2/2010 (age 28)
microfracture 4/2010
rehab based on Steadman protocol

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: unloader brace once FWB after medial femoral condyle microfracture?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »
I have a custom made Defiance onloader brace from Donjoy and I love it I had a 2.1x1.5 lesion on the medial femoral condyle I started using the brace as soon as I was able to bear weight it helps so much I find it so comfortable that I forget I am wearing it it does fit under my clothes but it bulks out a little I was fortunate that my united healthcare insurance payed for it I was told it would cost $1600.00 my doc said I will probably need it for about six months and I wear all the time except when I'm sleeping or bathing hope this helps

Offline poikiloid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • be nice to your knees
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
thanks deb,

can i ask, was your lesion from arthritis, or some acute injury?
also, do you know if you are at all bow-legged, or are you overweight? did your discuss the reason for the brace, or just automatically prescribed it?
Sorry for the personal questions, but I'm trying to understand what type of patients need unloader brace after microfracture. My Dr  never mentioned a brace option to me, even though he said i'm slightly bowlegged. I don't think he's aware of the latest trends, since recent articles suggest it's becoming more common. i'd have to convince him i may be a candidate, i think.

thanks for your help.
medial femoral condyle grade 4 articular cartilage "flap"-type lesion in r. knee, 1 cm diam (not arthritic: acute-trauma-like lesion, but unknown cause) diagnosed 2/2010 (age 28)
microfracture 4/2010
rehab based on Steadman protocol

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:06:01 PM »
I am not overweight at all also I'm not sure how I got the lesion I had same pain seven years ago and had knee scope nothing showed then Ive never had a fall but I've had a few car accidents in december of 09 I did twist my knee when I tripped doc said we might never know rest of cartilage in knee looked pretty good yes brace was prescribed and I am not bow legged

support