Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The Wanderer Returns  (Read 17359 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: The Wanderer Returns
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
Keeping busy is good in some ways (I definitely haven't had time to stop and get nervous) but I am actually getting quite worried now that I'm really behind on the things I wanted to do to prepare, and haven't been doing my usual daily exercises either. I've done a few here and there, but it's just not possible to fit that much in (house guests are a full-time job!) I have a feeling the four days I have free next week are going to be really frantic! In retrospect I would definitely have tried to arrange the timing differently and have my folks here quite a bit earlier.

Great news on the quad muscle! :) That must be a very satisfying feeling.

Hope all your weekends are getting off to a good start. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »
Imp excellent news on the muscle's :) you have been working hard :o
Sometimes I feel like a bit of a fraud as all the stuff about muscle mass and leg strength and getting back to sport seems so important to you and Snowy whereas  all I want is to be able to trust my knee enough to go for a walk and be pain free so I can sleep all night ::)
Snowy try and stop over thinking what you should be doing to get ready for surgery and make the most of spending time with your folks, cos they'll be gone before you know it :'( and I would hate to think you were worring so much about what you have to do you didn't enjoy yourself with them.
I hope you all have a great weekend take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
You shouldn't feel like a fraud just because your goals from knee surgery are different to ours - this is all about getting each one of us back to the things we care about and enjoy doing, and there's no rule that says those have to be the same. :) The most important thing is that eight or twelve months down the road, we're all back to doing the things we want to do (fingers crossed!)

Don't worry - I'm sure you've worked out from Facebook that I'm definitely enjoying the time with my parents! Had a wonderful day today whale watching; we saw dozens of orcas, including three babies playing chase, and had a great boat ride through the Gulf Islands (Canada) and San Juan Islands (US). I'm not letting the surgery worries get in the way of the visit at all, but there definitely is a bit of a nagging fear in the back of my mind about how much I'm leaving myself to do in the last four days.

Strange to think that this time next week, it will be over and done...

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »
Snowy you definatley look like you are enjoying your parents visit the photos are amazing they'll be wanting to move out there next.

I dont blame you about getting those nagging fears but as you said this time next week it will be all over and you cans start getting over the surgery and on with your life, bu I know what you mean the time is going so fast and once the folks go home it really will be a blur untill sirgery time. What sort of things do you still need to do?? I am worried incase there is something I should be doing and havent ??? so any suggestions gratefully recieved.
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 07:23:46 AM »
Hee! No, no chance my folk will want to move out here - they've really enjoyed the visit but home has their grandson, and now a second grandchild due in January! It's great for them that my younger sister stayed near home, as they're super involved in my nephew's life. My older sister is in Scotland and I'm here, so if we'd had kids they'd have missed out on a lot. We provide good vacation options instead. :)

My pre-surgery list contains lots of shopping. J doesn't drive, so I want to make sure we're stocked up on all the stuff that's big, heavy, or a long way away (especially cat medications!). I still need to get some kind of icing device, though I've left it too late to get a cryocuff. I have a few physio-type items to pick up as well. We also want to cook a couple of big batches of chilli and soup, stuff that can be frozen and heated up easily. I want to do one more run for library books to make sure I have plenty of reading material. We did a big closet clear out right before my parents' visit and need to run the stuff we're getting rid of to the charity store/secondhand bookstore to clear some space, and I also want to rearrange a few areas of the condo to make them more crutch-friendly. Finally we have to rehang the shower door, scrub the stall with bleach and move the kitties' litterbox somewhere else so that I can shower without having to climb into the tub. All fairly small things, but it makes a mighty list when added up.

On a less necessary note, I want to climb the Grind once more, cycle up at least one of the North Shore mountains, and swim 5k at least once before Friday. Just because it's a while till I'll be able to do these things again.

It's probably not going to be the end of the world if I don't get everything done, but I also don't want to leave a whole bunch of things for J to do post-surgery. A drug-addled, mobility-limited Kay will be quite enough work. ;)

How are you feeling about your op now it's not too far away? Or does it still seem a long way off with two weeks of work to get through?

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »
God Kay when you put it all down in black and white it does seem like a whole lot to do before your surgery maybe an idea would be to prioritise the list so make sure the most important things get done first then if you run out of time at least the really important things will be covered.
That's unfortunate that J dose't drive how will you manage with getting to physio etc, I hope you have lots of good friends with cars willing to help ;) You may still have time to get a cryo cuff I ordered one day and it was dispatched the next day. I got mine from the physio room, I assume that will be a British company but I'm pretty sure there will be somethig similar out where you are
if not then loads of bags of ice will have to be added to the list of things to do ;D. I was pleased to see the shop just round the corner from us is now selling bags of ice so I dont have to worry about running out once Dougie goes back to work .I can get one of the kids to go round for me, Oh I'm gonna make them work, they have NO IDEA ??? cos as things are just now I do everything for them, far too much to be honest.
I hope youve really enjoyed having you parents stay but I think from what you have said today is the day they go home so I'm sure much as you will miss them its nice to get your home back to normal, and your plans for surgery day to comence.
I still feel that my op is in the distance I still have 2 full weeks at work to get through first but its always there in the back of my mind.
take care Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »
The Cryocuff ships from the States, so I'm not sure I would get it for Friday if it got caught up in customs. There's a Canadian company that makes a very similar product so I'm going to see if I can get one of those in town, or I might do a quick run down to Bellingham (just over the border in Washington state) and see if I can get one there.

My PT, thankfully, is half a block from the house so I can even make it there on crutches if I need to! That was a very random bit of luck, as when the sports med doc gave me my original referral (for the PFS in my knees, weeks before the ACL tear) I just asked him to recommend someone who was good with knees. We also have at least a dozen friends who have offered to be chauffeurs if needed, so we should be okay. I'm hoping I'll be able to drive within a week or so of surgery; my truck is an automatic and it's big enough that I can get in and out of the driver's seat with my left leg straight (I had practice after the injury), so all I really have to do is get off the strong painkillers before I get behind the wheel. :)

Sounds like it might be quite good for your kids to have to look after you for a change! :) You have a lovely family - I took a very quick peek at your vacation pics on FB. It's often a bit of a wake up call for teenagers to realise that they're not quite as independent as they think, and just how much they still rely on mum! :)

My folks are just packing their bags up now - we're going to go for a swim at the beach this morning, then meet a friend for lunch and go to the Bloedel Conservatory (my mum is a very keen gardener) on the way to the airport this afternoon. It's been a lovely visit and I think they've really enjoyed it, but almost time to turn my sights toward getting ready for surgery! One thing I have to do is a whole ton of physio - I haven't been doing my daily exercises and the knee is making its unhappiness known right now.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
Snowy by now you will be in the midst of getting everything ready for you surgery, I can picture the frenzy of activity at the condo for the next few days,
I hope your parents get back home safe and sound and I'm glad that you all had such a nice time while they were with you.
Any luck with the cryocuff thingy I supose its not the end of the world if you dont get one but from what folk say it helps and is a bit less maintanence than an ice pack.
Your right my kids are going to get a shock when I cant to everything that they'r used to me doing for them but I guess it should do them some good. ;)
If you feel you have to rely on friends to drive you around for a few weeks then please do so cos from what I have sussed out about you, you would be the first person to offer if anybody needed help with anything..
Imp how are things going with you are you starting to get excited about your upcoming op do you think you are prepared for whatver is to come? when do you stop work? I am working right up till the Sat op on Mon so I shouln't have too much time to freak out ::)
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
Hello all, sorry it's been a while, weekend seemed to be spent drunk or hungover (neither good for computer use) and yesterday in work was beyond mad.

Tez, must echo snowys thoughts about you most definately NOT being a fraud. Though I can empathise with the feelings. A lot of the time I feel kind of selfish for getting it done as it doesn't massively effect my day to day life, it's just so I can play sport again, whereas you seem to be more severely afflicted. You're just right getting the kids to look after you too, I had to do something similar when my mum wrecked her back and to be honest it did me an awful lot of good :)

My pre-surgery list contains cooking up lots of nice food that I can batch freeze and then microwave when required (3 bean and chorizo stew is awesome :D) get a shower stool, distribute phone chargers about the house, build my wardrobe to compliment my little IKEA drawers, move my DVD stands into the living room and fill the tops, distribute my books, buy a decent bag for carrying stuff in (netbook, water, pain killers, books, ad infinitum) and generally tidy the place up, lol. Still haven't gotten round to stealing my parent's exercise bike either.

Starting to get more nervous I think more than excited, still trying to keep busy thought so it's all good. I finish up on the 9th, surgery on the 16th so it should be plenty of time to get everything sorted / bought / cooked / built ;)

Lucky for some snowy, my PT is 20 miles away, lol. Think I may end up bussing it or scrounging lifts, lol. How are you getting on with the prep anyway? Cooking aynthing interesting? Always looking for new recipes, love to cook, gonna be another thing I'll probably miss out on for a while, lol.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »
Imp good to hear from you sounds like you had quite a weekend I take it your not following Snowys pre op ban on booze :P
I was trying to keep away from the whole party thing after I got back from holiday, but unfortunatly we have friend's coming down for the weekend and I cant be rude and not have a drink with them ::) will be my last chance to party for a wee while.
So your a bit of a chef are you good for you, I decided rather than make meals to freeze I plan on buying in things that Dougie can manage to turn into a meal, I have discovered the precooked chopped chicken in iceland, even the kids can putt together a meal with that a jar of sauce and a pack of micro rice...
Do you think you'll manage at home without much help for the first few days could you not stay with you parents even for a couple of nights just in case you need a hand with anything? see thers the Mum in me wanting to make sure you will be ok :P
Snowy when you get your breath back from all the climbing, swimming and cycling how is the other preperations going ;D
Take care Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
Sending good brave cryocuff wishes to 'knee to be' folk this July.  You all sound so perfectly prepared for your big adventure...receipes included...tried bangers and mash..... now thats comfort food......must be the finest sausages and real mash with lots of butter!!! ;)

Hope all your quads are tingling with anticipation and hamstrings trembling at the thought of 'the removal man' coming to get them!.  Hope the moggies/doggies/kiddies/flat mates and partners are primed for the odd crutch attack and all well wishers awaiting hysterical...oops sorry........goings on in late July and the early August!.

Seriously I wish you all no complications and all the things you hope from your reconstructed knee.....football for Imp  (are you any good at it !)...skiing down Whistler for Snowy and long sleepy nights and 6 inch killer heels for day to Tez.

I am now a Gym member ....enjoying knee presses, elliptical trainers and hot sweaty hours.....ugh...or more mins..... striving for a more stable knee.  Dont have a date for laproscopy as yet but it will be when you lot are well on the road to rehab land!.

Happy days all Dan x

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »
Dan - thanks for the good wishes - and good luck with your exercises and pending scope! I hope that all the knee presses and elliptical hours are helping make your knee less wobbly and more supportive. :)

Tez - No luck on the cryocuff, but I have one more store over on Broadway to try today - apparently they normally stock them. Otherwise I'll just buy a couple of extra gel packs from London Drugs so that I can keep switching them up. Just got a text yesterday from one of our friends who announced that she's cleared her schedule for the next couple of weeks so that she can be our personal chauffeur if needed (we have some wonderful friends.) She also says it's her personal mission to teach me how to do nothing. I say good luck.  ;D

Impish - We have a great chilli recipe which I'll have to send along to you. J also makes a fabulous beef stew with red wine that can be done in big batches and frozen. I'll get the recipes and send them along on FB. Sadly I don't think we're going to get to cooking prior to surgery, so J will probably be left to do it all after the weekend. I don't know where the time is going; I've barely dented my prep list and now I only have two days left! Off to see my PT this morning to get my instructions for the immediate aftermath of surgery.

Oh well; what doesn't get done now just won't get done...

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »
Dan great to hear from you, do you think the gym is helping the stability of your knee?? I hope you dont have to wait too long for your scope, if the acl is completly gone when they get in there will they do the reconstruction at the same time?? As for the 6 inch heels I have learned my lesson and never again will just have to satisfy myself that I will never be tall :o
Snowy I think it would be practicaly impossible to teach you how to do nothing but good luck to your friend, and its fantastic that she can be there to help out while your incapacitated, good friends are soooooo important, I wouldnt survive without mine :)
Shame about the cryocuff but the gel packs will do the job no bother..You are sounding a lot calmer about the op is it the fact it is only 2 days away now? Let me know what your physio advises for your post op excersises I think I will get an appointment for my Private physio for about 5 days post op and see what he wants me to do I will also see the nhs one but I feel I can trust Paul and I know he'll do his best to get me back to normal working order asap.
take care Tez   
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 03:32:08 AM »
I found a Cryocuff!!! It was at the very last sports med store that I tried. They're out of stock to rent but they had one left to buy, so I put that on hold and will be collecting it tomorrow. :)

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 08:18:17 AM »
Thinking of you today Snowy......lots of hugs and oodlles of support...I know you are on line to read this!.......think of your wonderful outcome ....its only a day in the whole scheme of things....you sound such a supportive girl yourself so let us all virtually support you.

Not so tough Dan xxxxxxx