Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The Wanderer Returns  (Read 17395 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: The Wanderer Returns
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »
I use an iPhone app called the iGoniometer:

http://download.cnet.com/iGoniometer/3000-2129_4-10910580.html

I think I actually discovered it via this site back when I first joined. It uses the tibial angle to measure knee flexion, and my PT has found it accurate to within a degree of his measuring instruments. It's been really helpful, even if I've tended to get a bit obsessive about checking it on days when my leg feels stiff...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 01:02:36 AM »
Snowy and Impish,
I would like to say I was skiing down some awesome slope, (I'm not even a skiier), but I was sledding with my children. We were going really fast, took a turn, and were headed right towards a wooden fence. I was afraid to dump the sled for fear that my children might keep going in those slippery snow suits and possibly hit head first, so I decided to stay on the sled and when we got to the fence I stuck my leg out in an attempt to diminish the impact. Well, I did just that except my leg wasn't a match for the fence. It dislocated. I completely tore my ACL, PCL, LCL (FCL), and posterolateral corner. I also had a bucket handle meniscus tear. So, I kept in tact my MCL and medial meniscus, but suffered a ton of surrounding damage as well. I am hoping to have surgery soon, but I have to still gain better ROM and strength. I can definitely relate to the stiffness! I wish for the day that my heel can once again touch my bum, or at least close. All in all, I am keeping in good spirits, just really sick of wearing this brace, but if I don't I risk my knee dislocating again. So, I am eager to hear of your recoveries from ACL reconstruction. Again best wishes to all of you!
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 04:51:12 AM »
Yowch! At least you had someone else's best interests in mind when you stuck your leg out; I have no-one to blame but myself for my injury. Still, that's an awful high price to pay for one sledge run. I'm surprised they're pushing you to keep working on the PT when the damage is that extensive; it sounds like you've lost about 90% of the stabilizing ligaments in your knee, so I'm not surprised ROM and strength aren't doing that well. What sorts of exercises do they have you doing now, and do they have any idea when you'll be ready for your reconstruction?

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »
BOOOO! They have no android version :( Looks like a good wee app too.

Stacey that's insane. Sounds very painful. When did it happen? I didn't exactly cover myself in glory with mine either. Playing football and an opposition player dummied me, I basically fell over and screamed a bit, lol.

Snowy, I've managed to sneak in a few days holiday to get my to do lists done before the op. My last day in work is the day of your op, lol. Do you know what time your operation is yet?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »
I don't have an exact time yet, but they told me yesterday that I'm definitely the first case of the day so probably about 9am. I'm not a morning person (and will be even less of one with no coffee to jump-start my brain) but at least I'll be getting it over and done with early in the day rather than waiting around.

Man, these dates are sneaking up awful fast! I have my parents in town for a visit at the moment so the days are just flying. Can hardly believe it's a week on Friday...

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 05:23:45 PM »
Evening all!! well by the fact that this should make better sense than anything I written recently I am home and no more sex on the beaches for me (the drink not the act) I feel as if I have been slightly drunk for the last week ( very on a few occasions) ;D
Pete its brill to see you back with us, I have been wondering how things were going for you and great news on your op the time is really running in fast now, and now I'm home from my holibags there's only work from now till surgery time, its getting a wee bit scary ??? the closer it gets..
You and Snowy are going great guns with the prehab you both put me to shame but I will try to do better for the next 2 weeks,
unfortunatly the last week while I was away most excersise I got was alot of walking and a bit of swimming the knee didnt like the walking much but the swimming seemed not to bad, its funny how I can stand all day at work with a bit of walikng round the salon but actually walking up and down hill's a couple of times a day kills and as for the kirbs they are scary things when you dont have any confidence in your knee.
Stacy you sound as if you have done a right number on your knee I hope you get your rom sorted out soon and get to the position where they can start repairing all that damage so you can get on with your life especially with kids it must be really difficult for you just now.
take care all you lovely people Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 10:17:59 AM »
Lol, I'm the same, though I've to be at the hospital for 7am, which is unpleasant. Who knows, maybe jump starting your brain isn't the best idea before going in to surgery anyway? ;) I shall have to message you before you go in as that will be what, 3pm here? You'll be going in to surgery as I'll be finishing my last day of work before going off for mine (assuming I'm still on early shift) Time really is rushing on. Nerves are starting to kick in now, partly because "damn, someone's gonna be poking about in my leg" and partly because I won't know what's going to be done until I've woken up. But, just have to man up and deal with it.

On a brighter note, I have decided that because I'm going to be confined to the house and be fairly immobile for a while I'm going to buy myself a new TV and wire up a media PC on it so I can watch iPlayer / youtube / any films I've *cough* legitimately *cough* downloaded. A nice 37" or 42" Panasonic plasma methinks :D lol. Along with the books this should keep me fairly occupied when I'm not trying to do physio exercises.

Good to see you're back in one piece Tez, even if your liver may be slightly the worse for wear ;) I've just been plugging away at the prehab, though couldn't do much yesterday, knee was complaining at upping the weight so will have to drop it down again I think. And I totally agree, hills are bad, I'm looking forward to the day I can run up this http://www.walkni.com/i/Walks/887.jpg. Beautiful view from the top. One of the rehab targets I've set myself (looooooooooong way away,lol)

I've also been doing a few things around the house to optimise it for the modern cripple ;) I've combined this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60104858 with 2 of these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90102532 so I won't have to bend / crouch to get at drawers. Also this http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/home_and_garden/storage_and_shelving/desk_and_media/108233551_tu_chrome_40_dvd_tower.html?hnav=4294960694 only fill the top half and voila easy access DVDs :D

Can anyone else tell I really would rather not be in work? lol

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
You ARE Mr organised aint you, me thinks you have been giving all this after op stuff loads of thought do you live alone or do you have someone to help for the first wee while?? I am going to rely on my lovely family for the start Dougie [hubby] is gonna take the first week off work and as its during the holidays my daughter should be around a bit also, so I really havent given all that much thought apart from my new shiney cryo cuff that is still sitting in the wrapper it came in maybe an idea to make sure I can work it before my op ???
You and Snowy are lucky that you both seem to be having your surgery in the moring, I have been told to be at the hospital for 1pm so I guess I wont be done untill the afternoon :( as long as they dont leave me for 5 hours like they did when I had my scope in Jan >:(
Are you in and out in the same day? I think Snowy is! I have been told that because I am a lot older than there usual aclr folk I will prolly have to stay in a couple of days :'(  Little do they know I aint your usual older patient so with any luck it wont be in too long
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kneetmare

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »
Hey Pete ..glad to see ya back.. good luck with the up coming op, hope it all goes to plan for you! You seem to have been sticking at it well so im sure you will have no problems!

My knee is generally alot better after the op.. hasn't went excatly to plan post op, alot of the pain that was in the knee before the op is still there, but stability 10x better. The quads are also bigger then what they were before the op, still not as big as the good one though. On occassions the knee feels like it could twist out but im just taking it slow to get everything is back in order. Also our lovely local hospital seems as if they might of skipped one of my post op appointments with the surgeon so i have been unable to voice any of my concerns to him. I'm not to worried though, hopefully with the added time my slight concerns will resolve themselves.

Good luck again with the upcoming op! Be warned though... be prepared for a stingy hamstring for a long while!!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
If it makes you any better, I've been told to be at the hospital by 6am...and Delta is a good hour's drive from here! I suspect I won't be sleeping much the night before the op.

Great minds think alike on the TV - I've gotten all the cables to get mine hooked up to the net and run shows and movies either through iTunes, or directly from the computer. I live in fear of being trapped with nothing to do but watch daytime TV. :) You're way ahead of me on the furniture, though - I'm just counting on J to bring me things that I can't reach!

Not sure if you saw on the other thread but I had a great moment yesterday - first ACL-deficient Grouse Grind! ("Nature's Stairmaster" - a 3k scramble up the side of a mountain, with 1k elevation gain! It's basically big rough rock steps the whole way.) Knee was surprisingly chilled about it; I could feel it but it wasn't a problem, and no ill effects today. I guess it's had a bit of a break as I haven't been doing my regular strengthening exercises during my parents' visit (bad Snowy!)

It's lovely having my parents here, but having visitors is definitely leaving me very short on time to prepare for next Friday, both psychologically and around the house! I have a feeling that when they leave (late Sunday) I'm going to be left with so much to do that I don't know which way to turn.

Kneetmare - good to hear from you! How far post-op are you now?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
The OS's office just called with my time! Surgery is at 7.45am on the 9th. I really hope my surgeon is a morning guy!

Offline kneetmare

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »
Hey Snowy. I'm 14 wks.. last time I posted i mentioned I went for a limpy jog in physio, which was about 8 wks.. have had a diff physio from then, she doesn't want me doing that.. instead has me jogging on a trampolene because of the continuing pain. Going up and down stairs is still very awkward and painful aswell. ROM is very up an down still aswell. Saying that I have seen others at similar stage do it with no bother... I think so anyway. Wouldn't say they are in any better shape then I am physically but i guess its the old cliché.. 'everybody is different'. Will just continue to do the strengthing exercises an hope for the best :D

July is going to be a busy month of reading post-op diaries, I look forward to reading them and hope all goes well for everyone :)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
I live with 2 of my mates, but will basically try my best to be as self sufficient as possible. Though one of my house mates has kindly agreed to let me use his ensuite shower which is a walk in one, rather than the main bathroom which is a bathtub with a shower head. I'm tempted to look at a cryo cuff myself to be honest as I can't find any additional gel packs for my knee wrap :( Think I've been trying to sort of focus on this stuff rather than the actual surgery. Hate thinking about that part of it, maybe because there's still so much uncertainty. Gets me down. So I'll focus on all the ancillary stuff instead. Currently building 2 media servers for around the house so I can store all my music films etc centrally but access it from my bedroom, living room or study. Also iPlayer (God bless the bbc) 4 On Demand and the wonderful world of t'internet (Knee geeks on a 42" TV anyone?). Foudn my TV that I'm going to buy as well, tax rebate = £700, new TV = £699, it's a sign, I must buy it.

5 HOURS! That's pretty poor show all round. Damn NHS. I haven't been told if I'll be staying in or not, more of ye olde uncertainty. Glad to be having it in the morning though, get it out of the way, more chance of getting home etc.

Knee mare, I'd get on to the NHS and complain about that mate. If you've got concerns you're better getting them off your chest. Glad to hear you're doing well generally though. Lol, oh goody, can't wait, stingy hamstring for the win eh? Is it still bad? I think you're right about the diaries too mate. Who are you going to for physio?

Noticed it on the book of faces snowy, though wasn't sure what it was. That sound pretty full on, sort of thing I'd love to be doing, but after that sort of thing my knee always complains quite a bit and it's complaining enough at the moment with all these weights. Sort of nervous about physio later, wonder if my legs slipped more despite all the weights :( I'm not counting on too much sympathy or assistance. When I wrecked my knee in the first place they all came downstairs from our old flat so they could stand at the bottom and watch me try and climb them on crutches, they were actually crying with laughter by the end, filmed it and everything, lol. An hour drive sounds pretty horrendous if you've to be there that early, lol.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
I decicded to get the cryo cuff after reading how so many people felt it helped them with the pain and swelling after surgery,
 I had a look online and ended getting it from the physio room site, another plus for it is when you fill it with ice and water it stays cold for a lot longer than an ice pack or gel pack, and especially for you if your flat mates are not going to be available to fetch and carry for you it could be a good idea, as it wouldn't need chainging too often.
Entertainment wise you seem to have that all well covered so boerdom shouldn't be a problem for you ;D
The 5 hour wait was the pits I was to be at hospital for 7am, there was no bed for me and had to sit in admissions for the 5 hours, right beside the cafe >:( so there was me nothing to eat and drink since 12am smelling coffee and breakfast first then it moved on to the lunch smells I was ready to kill someone by the time they took me through lol.
Kneetmare 14 weeks already god it's gone really fast, maybe not so much for you though, I think as long as you'r making progress its a good thing, there will always be someone who seems to be doing that wee bit better than you but I'm sure there are lots of folk not doing as well as you, I think its a lesson in patience.
Snowy maybe the fact you are so busy showing the folks round is a good thing cos if they weren't here you would just be fretting about everything  and getting more and more freaked out about things, the fact that there wont be much time once they go means you will concentrate on all the practcal things without over thinking what lies ahead. I hope it works out that way anyway..
Take care Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 07:57:21 AM »
Tez that would be so frustrating, nothing worse than being hungry when there's food around you can't eat. I'm gonna have a look around at the cryo cuff and see, it's very very tempting. I think you might be right about snowy too. Sometimes it's better keeping yourself busy rather than thinking about it loads and making yourself more nervous. That's how I'm going to try and play it anyway.

Went to the physio last night, was a bit nervous after last weeks drop in quad size, had only been doing 1 legged stuff to try and redress the balance. So last week my right quad was at 42.9, had dropped to 42.2. This made me nervous as that's quite a big drop for 7 days :/ Measure my left, was at 41.5 last week, this week was 42.4. My left quad is now bigger than my right, didn't see that coming. Sat the whole session being electrocuted with a big grin on my face, lol. Right one going down isn't ideal, but at least it means I haven't just put on weight and it's actually muscle growth in my left leg. So there's a good start to the weekend :D

How's everyone doing today?

support