Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The Wanderer Returns  (Read 17372 times)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: The Wanderer Returns
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 12:04:24 PM »
Good luck snowy, I'll be thinking of you today, hope all goes well, let us know how you are when your in a fit state to read.

Pete

x

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »
Hey Pete how are you feeling about Friday only a couple of days to go!!!! do you feel as if your ready for all the drilling and cutting ;D I hope your feeling ok about everything...
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
Getting very nervous. Also pushed for time. Had all these grand plans but haven't done half the stuff, lol. Last physio tomoro, haircut, buy some stuff, do some cooking, wash my car and finish building my wardrobe, lol. All in a days work eh ;) what about you, not long left for you either. Nerves setting in yet? I'm ust trying to keepy myself busy and think about it as little as possible.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »
In the end I didn't get half the stuff on my list done, but you know what? In the greater scheme of things, it hasn't really mattered too much. Just do what you can, and one way or another the rest will either get taken care of by someone else (if it's important) or you'll just forget you ever planned to do it in the first place (if it's not).

I've got a very detailed diary (you can tell I have too much time on my hands right now) over in the post-op section if you want to hear about how I've been getting on over the first few days. Best advice I can offer right now:

* Stay ahead of the pain! It was much worse than I expected and I let it get ahead of me by not staying on top of my meds on the first day. Bad move.
* Make sure there's someone else around to help you for the first 48 hours at least. I was surprised by just how immobilized I was - it was a lot harder to do stuff for myself than after the original injury.
* Plan for a *lot* of rest. Even sitting at my main computer for an hour yesterday was enough to make my calf get swollen and sore from not elevating the knee. Again, the need for total rest is much more pronounced than after the ACL rupture.
* If you haven't already, see if you can get hold of a cryocuff. They're not cheap but oh my god, mind is worth its weight in gold. So much more effective than regular bags of ice or gel packs with elastic strapping - the combo of icing and compression works great, and it's really easy to use.

GOOD LUCK! The last few days are odd, and in some ways the final 24 hours - which is when nerves really kicked in for me - is worse than the surgery itself. Once it's over you just get on with it one small, slow step at a time, whereas beforehand you feel like there are 10 million things you should be doing and your imagination tortures you with endless possibilities for what could happen.

Sending good thoughts your way...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 05:54:50 AM »
Hi Impish....certainly hav'nt forgotton about you this Friday....good not to overthink it beforehand...I think if it was me my 'shopping list' would be;
     Nerve pain block
     anti sickness meds for anaesthetic
     Senocot S for opiate intake for you know what.....lots of !!!!

would forget about the rest!

Dream about playing football with confidence again and will be thinking about you on Friday and Tez on Monday  x x x Dan

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
Surgery cancelled. Never been angrier or more frustrated in my life.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
WHAT?! What happened? Oh Pete, I'm really sorry - I hope they can get you another date asap. That sucks, especially to have it happen so close to the date, when you've done so much work preparing.

It's been a bad night for Kris and Lottie, too - wish we were closer so we could all go and drown our sorrows together.

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
'Higher priority patient' took my slot. Surgeon off on hols after Friday. Earliest I'll be seen is mid to late august.what fun :( so so angry. Probably a private patient coming in.
What's happened to the others?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
That's absolute bullsh*t - I'm sure any of us would understand the need to treat a more urgent case first (as long as it was urgent for health reasons and not someone who'd coughed up the cash necessary to take your place) but to leave you sitting around for a month and a half is just plain wrong. They should at least be referring you to another consultant and/or hospital to try and get you in sooner. If I were you, I'd make a lot of noise about this and stress any inconvenience and/or losses that you might suffer due to the incredibly late notice. Being a squeaky enough wheel might get you back in sooner.

Lottie had to cancel her foot surgery at the last minute - she was facing having her big toe joint fused depending on what the surgeon found, and she wasn't confident that she'd explored enough different options to be sure that such a drastic step was warranted. Absolutely the right thing to do (you can't go back from a fusion) but hard to make the call within hours of surgery after all that planning. And Kris is going through a bit of a rocky phase in her rehab. The full stories are on Cosmic's post-op thread, but it's been a tough 24 hours for a few folk.

I am so sorry this happened to you - if I only could, I would be stamping my foot in rage on your behalf.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:32:12 PM by Snowy »

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
Pete I am so so sorry that really sucks, the problem is we are so unimportant to these people your just a name and a number there is absolutly no thought to how much this decision is going to affect you. Do what Snowy says and make a pest of yourself and get right in the face of whoever makes these decisions, ask if there is some other hospital that you could go to for your op, this is what happend to me, my wait would have taken me to the end of August or begining of September but was offered an eairlier appointment at a different hospital and it took a fair bit of time off my wait, Lucky for me I had heard good things about the surgeon who would be doing my op.
Again I am so sorry and I hope it dosent happen to me
(((((hugs)))))
Tez 
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »

I'm really sorry to read this but don't blame the messenger

Your basic problem in the UK is that an ACL reconstruction is still seen as "Elective Surgery" - so if anything comes in ahead of you that "has to be/ must be" done you lose out! Under the current climate and the foreseeable future, this will remain so, encouraging more and more patients of "Elective surgery" to go down the private route.

It could be that the surgery that has taken your slot is actually much more important and critical to the quality of life of the person concerned.  A complex fracture of a vital structure for example that requires long and complicated surgery.

The question really should be why is your surgery tied to one surgeon? Is there not an equally qualified surgeon who is able to take their place? Why should you have to wait until "your" surgeon returns from holiday (which nobody begrudges then)? Who is their deputy while they are away and why have you nor been moved to their lists as a priority due to your "cancelled" operation?

Just a thought or two about how you are getting mucked up in the UK because you have become accustomed to be "grateful" for any service you receive! I have to say that I am bloody glad to be out of it and where I can see who I want, when I want (within reason), ask for as many opinions as I want and still at no extra cost. I pay a heftier part of my income though - currently 14.9% shortly to rise to 15.5%, but a price I am happy to pay to be honest given my knee history!

Kick up a fuss - lie to your back teeth about how it impacts on your work (only economic arguments carry any weight - forget the emotional arguments) - do anything and everything to make them take you sooner rather than accept their deferral. You've been shate on from a great height, time to give as good as you got!

Good luck - adopt the terrier mode and see what happens!  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 06:58:09 AM »
Bet you feel so let down Pete......Kaputt_knee is right ....especially the ecomonic argument....as would be in my case if that happened.....when you feel ready I would think about a phonecall backed up by a letter of protest...photocopied to all the relevant people....but also state an understanding of priority medical cases as KN states.

All your well thought out plans now must be changed....You will get a recon in the end  Pete but I join you in your utter disbelief....

It may be cathartic to do a bit of 'replying' to the relevant people if nothing else.

Dan

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »
Hi Kaputt. I know what you mean mate, and I know it's equally as possible that it's an important surgery that's taken my place but the fact that the hospital I'm getting it done at also does private procedures makes me very skeptical. I really hope it is the first one.

The irony here is I have private medical insurance, provided by my employers, but had decided not to use it for the op itself as I was already on the list for a surgeon who my pysio highly recommended.

Unfortunately little Norn Iron isn't overly blessed with knee surgeons so I'm not sure what the situation is with getting another surgeon or if they've even brought anyone in to deputise. This morning I'm going to ring my physio, see what the situation is regarding which surgeons in this country are good. Then going to phone my OS's secretary and see who I need to talk to about getting moved. Will also phone my insurance company to see what they can do.

I know Dan, mental isn't it?

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »
Quick update:

Physio not in til 12.30 so can't ask her opinion on surgeons here ( see other thread, lol )

Rang health insurance company, they're willing to cover anything but I have to get it sorted basically

Rang OS' secretary back, she's currently ringing about to see if there are any private appointments with surgeons available (still would like to know which ones to avoid)

Rang the Ulster Private Clinic (where all the private stuff is housed) to ask if any surgeons had capacity to perform an op between now and mid August, to which I got an "I don't know, alot are off on holiday..." a helpful bunch it would seem

Rang OS' secretary back, she's currently looking in to it for me.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »
You're doing exactly the right thing, and it's great that you have private insurance as well - that gives you some extra options. Keep going with the phone calls and you'll get there; it does feel a bit like beating your head against a brick wall, but from my experience it's very much worth it.

(I was told initially that there would be a minimum 18-24 month wait for my initial consult, plus 6-9 months from consult to surgery. My PT told me to be a squeaky wheel and not give up, and after a few days of very persistent phoning I had a consult for May 19th (just six weeks after injury) and ended up having surgery just four months after injury. It was about a combination of being flexible (I did end up with a different OS) and very persistent.)

The down side of the summer months is that a lot of surgeons will be away at various times; however, there is a plus side. I was told when booking my date that it's a lot easier to get an ACLr date in the summer, as a lot of people wait until the fall to schedule their surgeries because they don't want to be laid up over the summer months.

Keeping my fingers very tightly crossed for you. Keep plugging away until you get a positive response.

support