Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The Wanderer Returns  (Read 17254 times)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: The Wanderer Returns
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »
Heylo Snowy and Tez :) I'm about as ready as I'll ever be. Bought some more books today (couldn't find Neverness so I'll just have to order it up), went to the physio and went for a very nice lunch in Belfast with the girlfriend seeing I won't be able to for a while :)

Physio was excellent. My bad leg is now 0.8cm bigger than my good leg, at a pleasant 42.6cm diameter (15cm up from the tibial plateau) so I'm glad I've been able to make good use of the time since the cancellation (it's 1.6cm bigger now than it was then). Didn't go to the gym today as I'm currently feeling the effects of the inferential (electric shock) treatment  I'm currently firing some more films on to the Network for watching post operatively, though I won't be able to actually watch them until I'm back from my parent's lol. I think I'm supposed to be in for the day just, but I suppose it depends on my reaction to the GA.

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. I'm just going to have to refine my rehab regime a little quicker, lol. Quick question on the cryo cuff guys. Did you put in on straight after surgery? Do you have to stick to the 20 minutes in every 2 hours rule like with icepacks or can you keep it on constantly? Did you put it on top of your dressings just or outside your clothes or anything like that? Lol, lots of questions.

The posh canadian beer will be saved for milestones I think, rather than wasting it when I'm wiped out on painkillers, lol.

Good luck blue, hope all goes well :)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »
Great work on bulking up the bad leg!

Cryocuff - you can literally start using it immediately after surgery. They actually asked me in recovery if I'd brought it to the hospital, which I hadn't - but apparently if you do they'll put it on for you as soon as you wake up. You can keep it on constantly (and you'll want to in the beginning); because it's not quite as cold as a regular ice pack, there are no time restrictions. I used mine on top of my dressings; I was wearing shorts so clothes weren't an issue, but I imagine it's more effective under them.

Good luck with your final preparations!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
Hey, good luck Pete. Fantastic news on how well you've managed to bulk up your bad leg, will definately do you the world of good come post-op! As will your newly found stack of dvds/books/games! Since reading your post, ive just rushed to my mam's sewing kit to find a tape measure, my bad leg is roughly 0.5cm smaller then my good, but i just did it roughly!! :P

And good luck Blue as well!!

Hope it goes well for both of you, i cant wait to hear how you get on...

Im definately looking forward to joining you all on the other side!!! :o lol

Best of luck guys
Roo

March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2010, 11:21:39 PM »
Cheers snowy, that's exactly what I needed to know :) I intend to be either wearing shorts or really loose bottoms for quite a while so that shouldn't be a problem. I think a nice glass of wine, some light music and some schubert should calm my nerves nicely ;D

Roo, that's a pretty good difference to be starting off with. My bad leg was -1.4 on my good leg on the 14th of July so you can improve things quite quickly, get yourself down the gym ;)

One last thing, do you think I should go to the gym tomorrow for one last session or should I just leave it? I'd obviously be careful as always but just wondering if it's worth putting the leg through the extra strain. I really want the 100kg but I don't know if working all the muscles is the best thing the day before  ???

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
Ive been going to the gym for a while, but my only probelm is my knee is starting to hurt when i excercise it...quite a lot :( especially when bending and putting pressure on it e.g. squats, leg presses. Its been getting steadily worse, and ive spoke to my physio. he says just let your pain be the guide, ( ::) ) and take it easy, while he said he'd try and push me further up the list! I think thats the reason my muscles in my bad leg are smaller, because ive really had to slow down the excercises over the past 2-3 weeks. :(

Hmmm, its a catch 22 about the gynm isnt it!! either go and risk pushing yourself too far, or miss out on your last gym session before your ACLr. ::) If i was you, id go but be very concious about not over straining your self, as pulling a muscle or doing extra damage would probably be the worst thing for rehab. I think Kay or Tez would probably be a better guide though, as obviously they would know more about the surgery/rehab!

Good luck again...
;D
March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »
My PT said that in order to ensure the knee was in the best possible shape for surgery, I shouldn't do anything strenuous with my legs the day before. So I climbed a mountain three days before surgery, cycled up a different mountain two days before, and settled for swimming 6k on the last day.  ;D

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2010, 05:14:19 AM »
Imp it would appear you are good and ready for the drilling and chopping :P I agree with Snowy about the cryocuff I wore it as soon as I got out of hospital but wish I had been able to use it for the first night while still in but didnt think to ask if it was possible to bring it in with me, so it might be an idea to check just in case they keep you in over night,you will find that it becomes a very importand part of your life especially for the first few weeks, I still use mine at least once a day if not more.
I would also take Snowys advice about going to the gym today and just be carefull you dont over do things the day before your op.
Excellent news on the muscle gain on the bad leg you must be really pleased to know your going in to surgey so well prepared.
Will you have internet access at your parents? cos we will all be wondering and worrying about how it all is going for you, if not let me know and I could give you my mobile no so you can tx me and I can pass on the info to the other knee geeks.
Enjoy your last preop day and try and keep busy so you dont have too much time to freak out about the op.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
Imp good luck for tomorrow I will be sending pain killing vibes to you and good concentration and hand steadying vibes to your surgeon I'm also sending you a big hug that says you will be fine and before you know it you will be waking up with a brand new acl ((((((((hugs)))))))))
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »
Well, it's nearly time. Anything that hasn't been done at this point is going to be. JUst had a nice glass of wine and am currently getting my bag sorted for the morning.

Roo that's crap about the pain. I've been quite lucky that way, most of the time I'm relatively pain free, it just comes in little bursts.

I ended up not going to the gym today. My leg is only starting to feel less tight after monday so I thought I'd be best leaving it.

I will have internet access at the parents, but PM me your mobile number and I'll text you when I'm concious anyway.

Thanks for all the kind wishes and I'll see you all over on the post-op board.

Yours nervoiusly, Pete

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
Good Luck Pete...you'll be a star  ;D
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »
Good luck! Will be thinking of you - with the time difference, you'll be all done by the time I wake up tomorrow. I hope you manage to get a good night's sleep, though I remember it being almost impossible with the nerves.

You're going to do just fine, and I'll look forward to finally cracking the Trois Mousquetaires Grand Cuvee tomorrow!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek