Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The Wanderer Returns  (Read 15055 times)

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
The Wanderer Returns
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
Hello all, I'm baaaaaaaack

Firstly I must apologise for my lack of attendance in recent weeks (months?). A combination of a hideously busy work schedule and having no home internet connection for a long time got me out of the habit if checking on here every half hour. I've neglected you all and I'm sorry. I have some news of my own but that can wait.

Unfortunately I haven't yet had time to trawl throught the forum and find out what's new so I want to know how everyone's getting on. That means you Snowy and you Dan and Tez and Tony and Kneetmare and all the rest of you. Anyone new say hello and tell me about yourself as well always good to meet new brothers and sisters in arms(knees?). For those of you fortunate enough not to have encountered my incessant babbling before, this link will give you all the information you could need and probably more than you're ever likely to want  ;D

Pete

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
Re: The Wanderer Returns
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
4 quesses about your news Impish;

a)     you bought a cheap 'hamstring' from Ikea ready for a DIY jobby
b)     you finally got married in Legoland
c)     your big black cat has finally exploded or imploded....ooops sorry
d)     youve had a sneaky ACLr on the quiet/on the wrong leg

Any near?.....good to hear from you Impish.....  Danwhodoesnot........

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Impish!!!! We missed you. :)

Glad to hear you're doing well, and don't you dare wait on that news - we want to hear what's been going on with you! Hope the knee is doing well (ooh, Ikea hamstring graft) and life has been good to you since your last visit to the boards.

I can't remember exactly how much you've missed out on, so here's a speedy update on my news...

* Got referred to an OS with an 18-24 month wait for an initial consult, plus at least 6 months from consult to surgery
* Rammed my head extensively into the brick wall that is our medical system
* Head ramming paid off and got an appointment with a different OS on May 19th
* AClr (hamstring) scheduled for July 9th...I go under the knife two weeks on Friday (eep!)

Tez is scheduled for her ACLr just a few days later on July 19th, but she's currently off painting the town red in Benidorm this week.  I'll let the others provide their own updates. :)

In non-knee related news, I've been wincing at England's dreadful World Cup performance and dealing with a kitty health crisis. Kitty is doing better today but I can't say I'm holding out much hope for England, who I fully expect to be on a plane home tomorrow afternoon.

We're very glad to see you back, and I hope your knee news is good news!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:48:34 AM »
Lol, Dan your close. But not quite. Hows work going anyway mate? Any more news with you? I seem to remember last time you OS/physio telling you to see how it went and then decide on treatment.

Snowy glad all your head banging paid off, you'll be back out on the slopes jumping like a maniac before you know it ;) Good to hear Tez has a date as well. Sorry to hear about the Kitty, what happened? Yes England have been pretty terrible haven't they? I can't say that I haven't been amused by it all and you never know, they might sneak in today. I've just been sat enjoying the wonderful football, though there have been some shockingly bad matches, the standard does seem to be going up. Argentina Vs Spain in the final would be nice to see.

Okay, time for my quick update. Been going back to the physio and it seems to be doing me some good. Have it all sorted with the health insurance company to pay for my physio and I'm claiming back the previous money paid out as well so I'm well pleased. As far as pre-hab goes, I started doing weighted squats (back against a foot(soccer?)ball against the wall) with dumbells just before I abandoned you all to try and build my quads. Regime consists of 30 unwieghted (sets of 10) to warm up, then 30 weighted (sets of 10) followed by 5 stints of 20 seconds standing with my back against the wall and my knees at right angles so my thighs are parallel to the ground. Starting weight was about 8 kilos, split over 2 dumb bells. Glad I started so light as I've managed to gradually increase and I'm now squatting 30 kilos :D

Physio has been measuring my quads and between May 20th and June 17th my left quad went from 41.1cm diameter to 41.9cm. Unfortunately my right quad went from 41.9 to 43 so it's doing more work. Have now introduced 1 legged squats, free standing but only going down about half way in place of the holding squats (though I think I'll try and do both today) also at 30kg.

I've been scoping bike routes for rehab already (all I need now is a bike) and have even found a few running routes, thought that is perhaps a little premature.

Oh, I almost forgot, I got a date as well ;) Friday 16th of July, have to be at the hospital for 7am. How wierd is that, 7days after snowy and 3 days before Tez, lol. Looks like we'll all be rehabing it up together. Nervous much?   :-\  Lol

Ah I've missed this place :D Hows everyone else doing? And anyone who doesn't know me, come on in and say hello  ;D

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »
So you are not doing a bungie jump after all in the quest for strong ankle ligaments Impish.....your pt is going well....I have been doing one legged squats on roller board(humm), hopping (hum hum), leg presses ummm, all in all balance and strength exercises.......pt on NHS is sporadic so I have joined the gym for 'big people!'..os says I now need to do 'advanced ' pt......so I have a personal trainer for 5 sessions free who is grade 3....that means he knows about acl injuries and prehab.

As I only have 1/2 of acl left OS has decided to do a laproscopy to see if other half has been damaged or stretched, trim and brush up etc.......if it has then Recon   If it is ok he wants me to carry on building up muscles to see if  stability is improved.   I know many would find that unacceptable but it is working for me at this stage.  I can work although anything in a downward direction needs to be carefully traversed as in skiing!!!!.  I am so glad to be back and my knee gets a good work out everyday!

Snowy Tez and youself are all in it together....and Tony maybe.......an interesting situation as Snowy may say!.  Will note all of your posts when the time comes......So come on England 'get the boot in'...if only....

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:01:19 PM »
No bungie jump just yet, though if I ever get the opportunity I'll be all over it :D Ah joyous NHS, to be fair they've given me a good surgeon so I can't complain about them too much, lol. Been tempted to hit the gym too but I can sit at home and watch the footie while I do my weights so it's winning at the moment.

roller board? Sounds difficult. Anything like these? http://www.vew-do.com/ Certainly one legged squats on it would be a challenge. I haven't been doing much balance stuff. Must start doing that on my off days from weights.

I know what you mean about downard directions mate, stairs and hills make me nervous, lol. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. Strange as it sounds I'm pushing for the ACLr simply because I want to get back to footie. Though if they only do the meniscal trim I'll be back playing footie in 6 weeks rather than 9 months, I'd be so nervous on the pitch :( I reckon if it's working for you and you don't really need the ACLr don't get it mate. Much as I'm psyched up about 9 months of back(Knee?) breaking effort, I'd rather not be doing it,lol.

It will be a very interseting time. I think these boards might be seeing alot of the 3 of us over that time.

Interesting note, surgery date will be 2 days shy of 18 months post injury :D lol

What was the last word on Tony, how's he getting on?

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
a wee bird flew over to spain and told me you were back and even though i am sitting soaking up the rays i thought i would say hi and welcome you to the 3 for 2 special aclr´s in july hope we can squeeze another one in being Tony i am using the crap puter in the hotel as Conor left his lap top on the bus from the airport I think it may be gone for good and i thought i would use his and not take mine so time is tight a big hiya to all and hope everyone is doing ok..
I have never consentrated on walking so much in my life always good leg up and down kirbs etc but hey ho im in the sun and happy
Take care all Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
Tez, you're on holiday! You get off the Internet and out into the sunshine! ;)

Pete, that's fantastic news about the ACLr date - and now we have our D'Artagnan! (With Tez, Tony and I all getting our new ACLs within days of each other, we've been calling our little gang the ACLr Musketeers.) Tony doesn't have his date yet, but they told him it would be sometime in late June or early July. Tez and I are getting hamstring grafts, and Tony a patellar tendon graft - how about you?

My prehab has been a constant battle with the existing PFS in my knees, which has flared up horribly because of all the extra legwork I've been doing. At the moment I'm swimming 5x a week (minimum 3k), cycling an hour a day with a longer ride on weekends (120k on Sunday - woot!) and doing my gym exercises at least 5 days a week. I've been mixing up the quad building (squats, leg presses etc) with hamstring curls and glute kicks to fatten up my hamstring for the kill, and lots of wobble board exercises for balance. Favourite so far is standing one-legged on the wobble board and bouncing a tennis ball off the wall, which is a never-ending source of hilarity for the coworkers sharing the gym with me. I've been limited in terms of adding weight because of the PFS, but the cycling has been really helping with the quad strength.

If you get a bike before surgery, get an indoor trainer too - then you'll be able to bring the bike in and do stationary cycling before the PT clears you to go out on the road. :)

It was Mara, our diabetic kitty, who had the crisis - she went into hypoglycaemic shock and had a series of seizures on Sunday night. We thought she'd had a stroke because she couldn't move her legs or head, and weren't expecting her to come home. Thankfully when her blood sugar stabilized she bounced back really well, and she's home again and enjoying her favourite treats. She's on a lower insulin dose now and we're keeping a very close eye on her blood sugar, but we're glad to have her back. How's your beachball kitty doing?

Dan - they actually did get the boot in this time! Very surprised that the team isn't coming home, but I can't imagine us beating a half-decent side in the next round...

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
Hi Tez, lol. Why am I not surprised that despite the fact you are on holiday you've ended up on here? lol. You should be away out in the sunshine or sat in a bar, these are the only things you are permitted to do in Spain. It's the law apparently ;) Keep putting your best foot forward :P and enjoy yourself.

I'm hamstring as well, which worries me a little as I've tight hamstrings as it is, but I trust the OS and a couple of physios I know rate him highly as a knee surgeon so I'll just have to get my stretches done and deal with it. Might try and fatten it up some in the 3 weeks I've got left too.

That's pretty impressive prehab snowy!!! You're obviously keeping your fitness up well doing all that, something I really haven't done :( 120k is class and 3k in the pool is very impressive. Swimming wrecks me so much, really need to get back into it, haven't been in weeks. Just been the weights really for me, managed 3x10 unweighted squats, 3x10 30kg squats, 3x10 30kg 1 legged squats and 5x20 sec hold squats yesterday ;D Time to start raising the weight again, lol. Have done very little balance work as well because it seems to be ok (relatively speaking) but I think I might buy a wobble board / balance board and try start using it now so I can learn how to use it before I get the op. I know Dan was talking about a balance board, what type do you have mate? I like the sound of that tennis ball one.

I already have an exercise bike, or more precisely, my parents have an exercise bike that I'm going to steal. Has a nice wide base so should be stable enough, thought I may look into the indoor trainer too. Probably just get a bog standard mountain bike. Found a nice section of dual carriage way not far from home that's pretty hilly, has a cycle path beside it and is exactly 1.5 miles so I'll be able to judge exactly how much I've done. There's another nice wee route down by Belfast Lough but it's pretty flat so doesn't look massively challenging, might be good to start out on.

Think I might be spending a fair bit of money in the near future on stuff like shower stools. Might try and get a few extra gel packs for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/HoMedics-MW-KHC-Magnetic-Cold-Thera/dp/B0009Y2E8I. Got this in boots at the start of my ordeal, they aren't bad but takes ages to freeze and is defrosted in about 20 minutes :( What has everyone else been spending their hard earned cash on? Anything exciting for the upcoming period of inaction? I've got a massive list of stuff to do as well to get the house more cripple friendly :( Anybody else trying to pre-organise?

That sounds like it was quite scary, glad she's ok :) Lol my beachball kitty is the same as ever, sleeps unless there is food or attention available.

As far as the football goes, I really think you guys are in trouble in the next round if the team is as lethargic and lacking in motivation and energy as they have been so far. Though if anything will motivate an England football team it's a match against the Krauts ;D

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
Also, D'Artagnan  ;D Brilliant!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »
I hope Tez is having a good enough time for all of us in Spain! :)

I've been on a big pre-surgery spring-clean and organization kick too; it's amazing how motivating it is knowing that temporary incapacity is just around the corner! In the past few weeks we've replaced our leaky bathroom sink, cleaned the windows and skylights, had a huge reorganization of the deck (our main deck is up a flight of steep stairs, so we had to make a rehab corner for me on the lower deck), and repainted half the condo. I've already started building the post-surgery stack of library books, and treated myself to an iPad. That was a total indulgence and not one I can really afford, but I'm going to hook it up to the TV so I can watch shows I like through iTunes (I hate most TV with a vengeance) and the ebook reader will be handy if I do run out of library books before I'm mobile again. I even started looking at new couches before the poor sick kitty ran up a $2000 bill at Animal Emergency and put paid to any further spending, though I do plan on finding the cash for a Cryocuff from somewhere.

I've been really paranoid about losing my fitness after surgery (it was scary how fast it declined after the injury) which is why I've been working really hard to get in the best possible condition before I go under the knife. I'm also conscious of the fact that I can't do as much in the gym as I'd like to because of the PFS, so cycling is the best way I have of building quad strength. I've gone a bit overboard with it, but I am feeling in very good shape! I doubt that'll last long once I'm back on crutches, though...

Today was a bit weird as it was my last day at work before my medical leave. Surgery isn't for another two weeks, but I have my parents flying in from the UK for a visit tomorrow so I'm on vacation right up until the day itself. My doctor signed me off for 8 weeks, so I won't be back till mid-September! I haven't really wrapped my head around that yet. Do you know how long you'll be off for?

Not anticipating that England will be advancing any further in the World Cup (I'm a realist, and also not English anymore which does help take the sting out) but at least I have one more game to watch, if I can somehow convince my parents that they'd like to get up at 7am during their vacation to watch a sport they couldn't care less about. Hmmm, perhaps not...

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
That is kind of freaky I'm sure. Be nice to have a bit of time off first though I'm sure, get you used to being in the house all day ;)

You never know, pressure is sort of off them now because nobody expects them to win. Fingers crossed eh? I'm sure you could get the whole house up no problem to watch it, lol.

My fitness disappeared a long time ago and it's a lot harder to get it back than it is to keep it :( Think I might just have to deal with it until post-op :(

Had a bit of a downer there for the first time in ages this week. Physio measured my quads again. first time I was measured my left was 41.1cm and my right was 41.9. Second time (last week) my left was up to 41.8 and my right was at 43, so an increase but the gap between them had widended. SO this week I added in all the 1 legged stuff and thought I was doing quite well, right was down .1 at 42.9 and right was down .3 at 41.5 :( so I'm going to move to just single leg work and get the exercise bike in and get started on it. But then I did what any self-respecting Northern Irish person would do and got very drunk ;D the pain in my knee today is easily drowned out by the thumping in my head.

On the plus side it has taught me a valuable lesson, on I've been taught before through all this but it's easy to forget when things are going well - Don't ever assume anything, don't get ideas in your head about how things are going and don't get your hopes up. Just do the work and let the pros tell you how well you're doing.

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
Hello to everyone,

I have read many of your posts. I will be having multiple ligamant reconstruction in a couple of months hopefully. I am still trying to gain back ROM prior to the surgery. Now, I really need to focus on strength, especially the quad. I was a gymnast long ago, but four kids later and my horrible injury has left my quad in shambles. I will be very interested to keep reading to see how everyone's recovery goes. I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgeries. I know for sure that after reading everything you all are doing to be prepared that I have a lot of catching up to do. What is everyone's ROM like? Mu surgeon was adament about this prior to surgery and I have had to break through scar tissue which has been difficult. I am at 124 with assistance from a strap. He wants me to be at 125 or more on my own. Again, good luck to everyone and I wish for speedy recoveries!
Stacey
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:44 AM »
Hi Stacey! Nice to see you here, though I'm sorry to hear that your knee is needing such extensive surgery. If you don't mind me asking, what happened that left the knee in such bad shape? Which ligamnents will you be having reconstructed? I hope that your prehab isn't too challenging - I'm sure with multiple ligament damage you have a lot of pain and instability.

To answer your question about ROM, I had awful stiffness right after my injury (I crashlanded a ski jump in March and blew my ACL.) For about three weeks I could barely bend the leg past 90; I would sit on my bike trying to get the pedals to turn, and not be able to do it because I couldn't get the knee to bend through the top of the rotation. My PT told me flex would come and had me focus on extension, and I think I got back to full extension somewhere around 6 weeks to 2 months post-injury. I still find that if I don't do my physio, pushing back into full extension starts to feel stiff and awkward really quickly. I finally got back to full flex about 3 weeks ago; I can now bend the leg to 140 degrees (same as the good leg) quite consistently as long as it's warmed up. It's taken a lot of plugging away at it to get there, though.

Good luck to you, and I echo your wishes for speedy recoveries all round!

Kay

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Hi Stacey, welcome to our little crowd :) I'd like to echo snowy's thoughts in hoping your prehab isn't getting you down too much. Have you any indication of when you'll be getting surgery yet? My ROM is pretty good, can get heel to bum when lying on my stomach with a little help from the physio, but unassisted it's exactly the same as my good leg, but then this long post injury I don't have any problems with swelling etc, unless I do something stupid of course.

Got more of my electrode treatment on friday (must find out the name for it), asked her to crank up the current a bit after the drop in quad diameter, think I might secretly be a masochist as it was less than comfortable. Spent the weekend making a couple of wee lists of stuff for before the operation. "To Do" "To Buy" and "To Ask". I'll type them up when I get a chance but I'd be interested to see what everyone else is thinking along those lines, maybe we'll all mention things the others haven't thought of yet :)

Snowy you would be proud. Hair o' the dog was consumed during the Uruguay match on Saturday (3pm our time kick off). It worked so well that I then continued to drink in the house until going out with my mates to watch the second game and then head out afterwards :D Come 5am we were all sat in my living room still boozing, zero hang over on sunday. Cheap beer to be avoided in future, stick to the good stuff ;)

One other thing, how do you guys measure flexion / ROM at home (if at all)?

support