Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: interesting new cartilage repair op  (Read 1120 times)

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
interesting new cartilage repair op
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
http://www.cellcotec.com/index.php

I saw this on the orth supersite today. Looks very cutting edge - they used it in the first person today. Looks very intresting and is a 1 step operation which is handy. Love the rapid mobilization aspect to it too. Hopefully we will hear more from this company as time goes on.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: interesting new cartilage repair op
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:25:43 AM »
Very interesting, although as you say it's very early stage - I notice all their claims are qualified by terms like "expected," "believes," and "anticipated." It will be really interesting to see if their procedure can live up to expectations now it's in active clinical trials - I for one will be watching with curiosity. If it works, it could change the game considerably.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »
Looks very promising. I hope they can document these claims for us through clinical research.

Offline kneesurgeonvictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
Why would anyone find this new operation remotely appealing when it has no track record and with every surgery there are considerable risks.

I just hope anyone going for this operation is properly informed of risks and the alternatives, and the reasons for trying this operation over others.

Are those who find this operation interesting surgeons or consultants, or do these comments come from members of the public?

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 01:21:12 AM »
Why would anyone find this new operation remotely appealing when it has no track record and with every surgery there are considerable risks.

I just hope anyone going for this operation is properly informed of risks and the alternatives, and the reasons for trying this operation over others.

Are those who find this operation interesting surgeons or consultants, or do these comments come from members of the public?

Well it says on the website that it's still in the trial stage.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:53:28 AM »
I don't believe I've become so jaded that I woudn't see a single step procedure such as this as being "interesting." I'm sure any OS who knows about this would be interested to see the clincal results, which is what I understand was being talked about on this forum.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
Every surgical technique has to start somewhere. Of course any new procedure has attendant risks, and anyone choosing to be involved in a clinical trial should be very aware of what those risks are and that the outcome isn't guaranteed.  But if we all dismissed every new procedure simply because it hadn't been tried or tested before, there would never be any medical advancements and folk with a serious injury or degenerative condition would be left without options and without hope.

I'm not a surgeon, just an ordinary person with bad knees who is curious to know what my options now and in the future may be.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »

You can find new surgeries interesting without being a surgeon   - these are genuine comments and I think you'll find that thevoice has had MACI and can speak with some knowledge on different options. Similarly with Westpoint and myself who are actively looking at what options may exist. All new surgeries start somewhere. Cartilage repair is a growing field - its a tough one, cartilage is VERY hard to repair and new generations of surgeries are likely to open up more options in the longer term. Clearly evidence is needed, but that is what people mean when they say it is interesting - that it provides possible options to the current somewhat limited options.
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline margieup

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
thanks for sharing this Lottie. i did read in the papers recently about cartilige replacement (although that we pre-diagnosos, so i didn't read it with quite the same interest as now !) and it's interesting to see it's already out and about to some extent.

wouldn't it be a dream though?

i intend to ask my NHS consultant about it in august.

support