Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Should i have a PKR?  (Read 861 times)

Offline JustJo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should i have a PKR?
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new to this so please be gentle with me!
Saw the OS on Friday & he has suggested a PKR of my left knee. However, he did also state that I should seriously think about it as succcess rate not great for PKR. Would prefer to do TKR but as I'm only 41 and some of the knee joint is still ok, doesn't feel the time is right for TKR.
I have arthritis behind my kneecap & on the right hand side of the knee (both knees). I am in agony - I have a 2 year old son & feel that I am missing out on doing things with him. Over the last 15 years, I have had repair to a ruptured patella tendon, TTT & arthroscopy with LR to my right knee. As this one isn't too painful at the moment, OS has decided to leave this one alone for now. Due to the TTT, he thinks TKR will be needed but is waiting to see how it goes as he also thinks surgery will be a bit of a nightmare!
Would like some advice on what to do. Been taking Co-Codamol for the pain but the OS has advised me not to take these as they are of no benefit. Any ideas on how to cope with the pain in the meantime? And what do people think about PKR?

support