Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ice for swelling  (Read 1378 times)

Offline hmiller48

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ice for swelling
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
hello.  I am an american law student studying in London for five weeks.  I had knee surgery one month ago for a couple small tears. I plan on doing alot of walking while I am here and need to ice my knee at the end of the day to keep swelling down.  The dorms I am staying in only have fridges and no freezer so I am having trouble getting an ice pack.  I am wondering where I can buy instant ice packs in a shop, etc

Thanks

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Ice for swelling
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Welcome to the UK

You could try a large Boots or Superdrug (UK chains) or buy online if you can wait a couple of days e.g. http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Instant_Ice_Pack/2009/37790.html

http://www.runnersneed.co.uk/home.aspx  This chain has a few branches in London, you could try calling and seeing if they stock (only have reusable on their website).  Likely be cheaper online though  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:58:52 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Hi there, first of all welcome to London  ;D what a shame you can't see the sights without hobbling  ::)

I buy big bags of ice in Asda stores, I think they cost about a pound for a big bag, keep it in an ice box which you can pick up anywhere really, alternatively if you fill up an ice box and fill it with said ice, you can then use it to freeze gel packs.  If you're not near an Asda I think most supermarkets sell them, even my local newsagent sells them. 

Good luck and enjoy your stay  8)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline hmiller48

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:07:49 PM »
thanks for the response, just wondering exactly what you mean by an ice box and how long would that ice stay frozen in the ice box? thanks

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
Hi there, It would appear that the rest of the world calls them Coolerboxes and that an Icebox is something I have invented myself!

See link http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-1630.aspx

Just basically the sort of thing you take to the beach-nothing technical.  I personally have a CryoCuff which is amaaazing but quite expensive and probably only worth it if you're going to be rehabbing for a while like me...or unless you can pick up a cheap one off Ebay.
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!