Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The revenge of the swollen knee - what is it?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline WhatNext

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
The revenge of the swollen knee - what is it?
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:03:09 AM »
On and off, for the last 5 years or so, my right knee has swollen to the right of the kneecap - it's been slightly painful, annoying, but it's worn off. I can't remember an injury or doing anything drastic. I know my posture is poor as I have MS, but my mobility is fine and I have no trouble walking and I don't want that to cloud the issue!!

Anyway, around a month ago, the swelling returned and has stuck, with a vengeance. My knee looks like it doesn't have a knee cap when I bend it, it's very painful and swollen (again, on the right side), and it's not getting any better. Also, it's getting tighter behind my knee as my thigh spasms up (?). My GP just says - ice it. Diclofenac doesn't touch it. I can hardly walk sometimes. I'm seeing a rheumatologist soon, but in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts about what I might have done? A dodgy meniscus? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

(If it makes any difference, I'm 39, female, 6ft 1in, and was large until a couple of years ago but not any more, so the joints have had a battering...not as much exercise as I'd like due to the MS, but do walk every day and swim when I can)

Thanks!

Offline vinceg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: The revenge of the swollen knee - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
Hello WhatNext,
Am having similar swelling of right knee, with no injury or event of any kind to cause it.
Had a right TKR in Oct 2006. Had an excellent recovery (Made it to the top of Machuu Pichu in Oct 2009)
Swelling started Thanksgiving 2009, and has recurred on and off since.
Was responding to ice packs and ibuprofin, but this past week the swelling has not subsided much.
My MD prescribed Neproxin to counter any inflammation, and it works better than ibuprofin.
But sudden swelling occurs (in a matter of minutes!) while I am just sitting.
Have an appt with 2nd OS in a week. Will post results.
See post from UK Girl in this forum with similar issures.
vinceg
TKR (right) Oct 2006
Good Physio results in 12 months (145 flex, flat)
Swelling started Nov 2009
No changes thru 6/2010

Offline Rave_N9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
Hi,

I have had the exact same thing. Cycles of swelling and increasing immense pain over the years to the point that anti-inflammatories and icing are doing no good. During the days when things aren't 'blown up', I think everything will be ok and I'll not have the flare-ups again. Then of course I'll get slammed with the unbearable pain and swelling for about 4 to 5 days. I went to physio for about a year, which helped strengthen the muscles but I have unfortunately hit a plateau where I will not get any better and unfortunately the flare-ups have became worse to the point that I am not able to safely do my daily required physio exercises. I totally thought I was totally crazy.. couldn't find answers to the odd spasms and 'freezing' of the leg while I went walking, which always occur on downward slopes. Anyhow, finally got an MRI which shows a complex tear of the medial meniscus and posterior horn. So off 'Googling' I went and found this board (which has become a blessing!), as well as this one: http://www.sports-injury-info.com/meniscus-tear-symptoms-pain.html which explained all my misery to a 'T'.

In a nutshell, my issues are basically due to patellar maltracking, low arches and having "slightly bowed" legs. However, the spasms and pain resulting from them began a few years ago and have been steadily increasing over the years after I wiped out while exiting my vehicle in an icy parking lot. Landed on the ground on my butt with one leg forward and the other with my knee bent so that my ankle was beside me. (Think of the legs of an Olympic hurdler jumping over the hurdles) Sat there on the ice contemplating life while the hot poker-like pain shot through my knee, and when it subsided and I got up, didn't think much else of it. I seemed fine.

I am due to have a scope next week and hope I can at least be able to go for walks again and perhaps bicycling, if nothing else. I'm not into sports, just want to stay active and have something more to life than work, eat, pop pills, and lying down.
Left knee complex tear medial meniscus/posterior horn, patellar condromalacia, baker's cyst, maltracking
Right knee possible medial meniscus tear/meniscocapsular separation, minor patellar condromalacia, baker's cyst, maltracking.
Partial meniscectomy left knee June 2010

Offline WhatNext

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »
Thank you so much for replying - sounds about right, doesn't it? I could do without it, especially having MS, and at the moment I'm having to use a stick. Seeing my GP tomorrow so I'll mention this, might concentrate his mind...thanks again, best wishes with your 'scope. Sarah x

Offline Rave_N9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
Thanks, and you're welcome! Hope everything turns out well for you too.
Left knee complex tear medial meniscus/posterior horn, patellar condromalacia, baker's cyst, maltracking
Right knee possible medial meniscus tear/meniscocapsular separation, minor patellar condromalacia, baker's cyst, maltracking.

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 03:13:15 AM »
Rave 9!!

If your surgery only is to repair or "cut out"the damaged meniscus you will be ok !!!

I had surgery like that 10 years ago where they had to remove like 60% of the meniscus and was playing american football at 5 months!!

The most important part is rehabbing!! The funny thing is that when I got the microfracture, I though the doc would have to clean it out a little... he told me it was absolutely perfect!!!!!

Rehabbing and a positive state of mind!!! I am 10 weeks post op microfracture and I can already walk vdery fast without pain and swelling!!! (I had to do rehab 3 times a day, its hard but if you put your mind to it, you will thank yourself in the future!!)

Good luck!!!

Offline Rave_N9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
Thanks, Saints!

I had the scope last week. I'm 6 days post-op. I asked for a spinal and was able to see the 'stuff' causing my misery and talk a bit to the surgeon. Not much pain or swelling even after stopping the anti-inflammatories that were killing my stomach. I have been taking it easy and am doing my rehab but am finding it somewhat difficult to stay positive that last day or so. I have this kind of pulling sensation on the inside of the knee when I walk and it feels like stuff is 'scrunching' or moving around in there, if that makes sense. I hope it's 'just' muscles, etc. temporarily out of whack and that I didn't do something wrong to it.

Oh, before I forget... they did do trimming/cleaning out of the torn meniscus. The surgeon said my tear was a typical complex tear  ??? Am looking forward to the post-op appointment to discuss it further.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:38:50 PM by Rave_N9 »

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 04:45:09 PM »
Hey Rave

I think the crunching grinding should "be" normal to some extent, since the knee is swollen on the inside everything is not at its right place.. with therapy everithing should go back to normal

Yes, there are days when one gets down, but the important thing is to try to be as positive as you can !!!!!!!

Cheers!

Offline Rave_N9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
Hey Saints!

Thank you! I feel better knowing that must be the case. I shouldn't be so impatient and worry so much. Thank goodness I'm not totally crazy.  ;D

Cheers!

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 09:43:43 PM »
Rave!

I am no doctor, im just trying to convey how my meniscus surgery went... I even remember I was at 3 months post op very skeptical and angry cause it was not getting any better and all of a sudden the knee got better instantly .. !!!

Rehab Rehab Rehab!!!!!

!

Offline Rave_N9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Many thanks again, Saints!  8)

Had my post-op appointment yesterday with the surgeon. Was shown before and after pics. Wow! It really did look as terrible in there as I thought on-screen during the surgery! He removed about a third of the medial meniscus, cleaned the back of the patella, and said again that the rest of the ligaments and cartilage looked good. Whew! Doc also assured me that the 'scrunching' 'squishing' should go away eventually as the knee strengthens and heals. I find it does this the most at the end of the day particularly now that I'm back to work. Will work hard on my rehab. I was given a referral for physio for the patello-femoral issues I still have, but I will instead continue to do those exercises at home as I did between appointments with the physio for almost a year before the scope. All I had done at the physio on top of the same home exercises was being hooked up to a ems/tens unit, and I had bought one of those before the surgery to help with the post surgical rehab, etc. I'm really glad I did, iit has really helped a lot.  ;D

Offline Rave_N9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
Vinceg and Whatnext: How did your appointments go?

support