Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Swelling of knee 3 years after TKR  (Read 2294 times)

Offline vinceg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Swelling of knee 3 years after TKR
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »
Hello. This is my first post to this forum.
Had aTKR of right knee Oct 2006. Recovery was uneventful and achieved 145 degree flexion in a year.
Had a great physio-therapy program. This knee got me to the top of Machuu Pichu last year.
Things were fine until last Thanksgiving, when the knee swelled up
to the point where I had difficulty walking. I got home, took ibuprofin for several days and the swelling disappeared.
The same thing happened about 4 months later, on a 7-day golfing trip, and I treated it the same way,
but with ice-pack applications. Again, after a day or so, the swelling subsided.
In the past 2 weeks, the knee has been swollen to some extent (sometimes greatly).
I have almost no pain. The knee is not hot to the touch. Naturally, I have a hard time walking,
since I have little range of motion, and cannot place full weight on the knee withou some pain.
My Ortho-surgeon says the joint looks very good in Xray, and after a manipulation exam, said the joint
felt very stable. (When there is no swelling, I have no problem with it).
Went to my MD who proscribed Naproxin, and a visit to another ortho for a second opinion.
That visit is next week.
Wow..... that was a brain dump. If anyone has similar issues or can provide any insight into this issue,
I would be most appreciative.
Thanks,
Vince G

TKR (right) Oct 2006
Good Physio results in 12 months (145 flex, flat)
Swelling started Nov 2009
No changes thru 6/2010

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Swelling of knee 3 years after TKR
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »
hi

sometimes these knees do swell up for apparently no reason ! mine is almost permanently swollen which gives me trouble crouching down.

I do find that it is a lot better if I elevate it when I am sitting down, lunchbreak at work/during evening watching tv - leg goes up ! it really does help. The mechanics of mine are fine as well, the only time when i get pain and have trouble walking is with patellar subluxion which is caused by my gait - although I don't feel I have a limp other people say I do at times, when this happens I get straight back onto my phsio exercises which usually calms it down again.

Hopefully your problem will go away with more physio - you are obviously pretty fit but sometimes we need to 'baby' our knees a bit .
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline vinceg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Hello UK Girl,
Thanks for the post.
Did you see anyone about causes/treatment for your swelling?
Hope things continue to improve 4 U.
vinceg
TKR (right) Oct 2006
Good Physio results in 12 months (145 flex, flat)
Swelling started Nov 2009
No changes thru 6/2010

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 02:01:42 PM »
yes, I have a private sports physio  - was sorted in a very short time with the correct exercises. Well worth the money ! In fact had no trouble for prob 10 months now. I love my new knee (well nearly new - 4th birthday in July lol)

Ice and elevation are always good for swelling.

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)