Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Smart Crutches in the UK  (Read 5977 times)

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Smart Crutches in the UK
« on: October 02, 2003, 03:54:48 PM »
OK, basically, I'm still walking with one crutch. And I need to go to job interviews. I have a nice smart suit, I have an appointment to have my hair done... The only thing wrong with my appearance is this flippin' crutch.

So, does anyone know of a decent place in the UK that does stylish crutches? Like, black ones or something. I just want one that says "disabled and OK with it" rather than having to explain this when people ask what I've done. I bought one of the black aluminium walking sticks, but I prefer the stability of an elbow crutch. It's just it looks all silver and "I got this from casualty"

I just want to look less like walking wounded and more like "professional person you'd actually want to hire".
I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline Happycructchchck

• Regular Poster
Re: Smart Crutches in the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 04:57:04 PM »
Katie,

I went through quite a few interviews when I was non-weight bearing and had this horrible looking brace on.  What I did was explain before I went in what was going on and the response that I got was very welcoming and reassuring.  When I interviewed, I impressed them despite the injured appearance, so I know it can be done and ended up with two job offers at the same time!

Its a pain, and it doesn't help you feel at your best, but it can be done.  I don't have much help on the stylish crutches especially since I am in the US, but I wish you the best on the interviews!  I promise you can WOW them with or without the crutch!

Love,
Paige
RT Tibial Plateau Fracture 5/6/03, 5 pins & 2 plates
Arthroscopy & Manipulation 10/10/03
ROM - Able to bend to 110 with very hard work- still a lot of pain at fracture site
ACL damage also

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 05:45:08 PM »
hey there....I have no idea if this is international or just US but I thought I would pass it along any ways..
http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/showcase.html  maybe you can find that flashy crutch somewhere on that site. Good Luck and don't worry, just explaine to them whats going in. Then they will love you and not think about the apperance of that crutch! Good Luck, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 06:22:26 PM »
http://www.activemobility.info/ have various colours, but not black, in their catalogue. They apparently only have yellow and silver in stock at the moment.
I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 06:27:14 PM »
Ah-ha!! Found some.

https://www.idcsecure.co.uk/more2yourelbow/acatalog/Elbow_Crutches.html has lilac, apricot and pistacheo, but only in petite sizes!! Nuts. I wouldn't mind lilac actually.

They do have black ones in fullsize, and they do sell them individually, so I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Good grief, the number of places that only do aluminium and grey plastic ones. Lots of different customisations, but no colours. Are people not supposed to want things like this or something?

Offline Happycructchchck

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 06:45:45 PM »
I found another site with some - basic colors:

http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/product_details.asp?ProductCode=621

or for forearms crutches:
http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/Category.asp?ProductType=Forearm+Crutches

and it looks like they will ship internationally!!

Good luck!
Paige
RT Tibial Plateau Fracture 5/6/03, 5 pins & 2 plates
Arthroscopy & Manipulation 10/10/03
ROM - Able to bend to 110 with very hard work- still a lot of pain at fracture site
ACL damage also

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 07:12:32 PM »
Katie-

I think the fact that you are so conscientious about the appearance of the crutch is an asset in itself!  Sounds like you "got-it-going-on"!!  I think most potential employers would be glad to know that you are detail minded!

Good luck with the interviews!!  Color coordinated crutches!  What a great idea!  I know that I would prefer lilac/lavender rather than the "sterile" robotic looking silver ones I am currently using!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 09:01:05 PM »
http://www.quest88.com/ have crutches in black. They're quite smart so I got a pair. 66 quid, but they go with my interview suit.

Hurrah. Problem solved!!

KeepAble are considering getting a line of coloured crutches, but haven't got any at the moment.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 10:00:21 PM »
Katie-
Congrats on finding the crutches!! ;D  Deterimination pays off!!

Good luck with the interview! ;)

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 05:46:14 AM »
Here's a couple of ideas. I ran them by Lezlee and she likes them... so here it goes....

Why not get some colored ribbons to dress up those drab crutches. Start at one end and tie or tape the ribbons in place. Wrap them around the crutches to the other end and tie or tape that end too.  You could color coordinate with your outfits or for the holidays. Lezlee liked my orange and black for Halloween suggestion.

The other idea is one I did for my mom's cane. She'd gotten a lot of positive comments, so here it is too....
Get some clear spray paint and some glitter (I used multicolored glitter). Spray paint the crutch and sprinkle the glitter onto the wet paint. The glitter stays there when the paint is dry and gives an interesting look.

Both of my ideas are pretty inexpensive to do, and I hope that it makes having to lug around crutches a bit less of a pain, when they don't stick out like a sore thumb, as the saying goes.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 06:40:26 AM »
Wow!  I checked out a couple of the sites you mentioned I am amazed at the colours you can get.  I guess I never thought about it before.  I like the ribbon idea as well.  Thanks.  You do get sick of the boring sterile silver look.  It's just not stylish.  :P
Good luck with the interview.  You go girl.  ;)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 03:57:57 PM »
Well, I had a phone chat with the best prospect yesterday. I think the job is basically mine for the taking. Their current top techy was someone I recommended to them, so they'r eall up for the idea of hiring me. Which is certainly making my life feel a bit easier.

The current job are trying to fire me. Basically, in addition to the knee thing, I have clinical depression. The mood swings from this make me a bit peculiar to deal with at times, and they've decided that they can't be bothered dealing with that, so on Friday I probably get told to get lost. (Because if they don't do it on Friday I'll be off on medical leave for 2 months and my contract says they have to pay me full pay for that)[1] At which point I'll file a case for violation of the DDA...
But having another job to go to is making things a lot easier. I'll be meeting with them early next week to see if I get things nailed down. I'm kind of hopeful -- it'll be a lot less stressful, the only other software engineer there is the aforementioned mate so I know he's not a clown[2] and it's technology that's not annoying to work with.

[1] More surgery, but not knee related. And this one's a biggie. The theatre is booked for 5 hours...

[2] Dealing with idiots turns my vague mood swings into outbursts of anger. Current place - high idiot content.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 05:00:47 AM »
I hope things work out the least stressful way for you.  
good luck with the surgery thing.  
We'll be thinking of you.  :)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2003, 02:55:49 AM »
Katie, every time I build something foolproof, God sends me a better idiot!  It's not a mood swing kid, as you gain experience it just happens that you get better at picking which ones have been hit with the STUPID stick!

God bless and protect you, hope the new job insulates you from a few of the aggravations you have been experiencing!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 04:36:31 PM »
Well, the current place clearly didn't think they could get away with firing me this time -- they gave me a final written warning so they can fire me on whim when they get enough evidence.

Screw 'em. They're weird and esoteric. I've sent my solicitor to have a chat with them about how they can avoid me suing them for breach of the DDA and constructive dismissal.

On the bright side, my torn ligament in my left knee has healed up and so I'm walking a lot better -- I might not need the crutch after all!!![1]. Still limping from the OA in my right knee, but it's not too bad. Hurrah!!

[1] They are however worth having because they're not only lighter than the others, but less clanky when used.