Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Runner's knee question: What can I do?  (Read 974 times)

Offline theycallmej

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Runner's knee question: What can I do?
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »
Hey guys--
I've come to the conclusion that I'm suffering from runner's knee-- it seems to me that with my history and with what doctors have told me, it is the most likely problem I'm facing (no meniscus damage, no ligament or tendon damage).

I want to know what I can do about this though-- I know the physical therapy exercises by heart: straight leg raises, leg raises with the hip turned outward, side leg raises to strengthen the hip abductors, leg raises on stomach and hamstring curls, illlotibial band stretching, but there is something more that I'm interested in as far as walking.
It seems that when walking, the reason people get pain, is that the hips/quads rotate medially while the lower leg rotates laterally-- this creates a twisting it seems. I'm against the use of orthotics, so is there anything I can do in my walking posture to prevent the two twisting motions and create a more stable walking pose for hiking, etc.? Like, for example, would walking with my legs closer together be of any aid? Farther apart? Putting more weight on the ball of my heel as I do with running? Shorter strides? Keeping the legs slightly bent?

What out there could work for me to help the knee out?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Runner's knee question: What can I do?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
If you truly do have runners knee, the right exercises to strengthen the muscles that create that form of twist around the knee will help, but can take months to have an effect.

Don't dismiss orthotics but do make sure they are properly prescribed ones - I had some 3/4 length ones that were meant to be bespoke but they made my knees far worse. Decent full length soft orthotics tailored to your foot can help some people.

A friend of mine swore by running in Vibram Five Fingers to facilitate natural movement patterns alongside his knee exercises and foam rolling for tight muscles. If the knees fall in, then the glutes and VMO are weak, and the calves and ITB and TFL structures are tight. Foam rolling these can help promote balance. Do a slow squat in front of the mirror with both arms above your head and watch what happens - do the feet turn out, the knees fall in, the back curve etc? All of these are compensations for weak muscles.

Heel toe walking can also help if you're someone who is prone to a bad walking gait. I have to force myself to walk heel to toe on my right side as I strike with my forefoot and it creates havoc up the chain.

Start with your feet when looking at imbalances and the rest will follow....

Lottie  :)

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support