Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OSTEOCHONDRAL DEFFECT-help me  (Read 1156 times)

Offline chandukc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OSTEOCHONDRAL DEFFECT-help me
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
Hi friends,

I am new to this site and pls advise me with ur valuble suggetions.

Today I met one doctor Grosso Nicholas.He said the problem is “OSTEOCHONDRAL DEFFECT” .This doctor is saying that the possible solution for this is going for another big operation called ”OATS PROCEDURE” which requires 46 weeks of using cruthes.This is a kind of transplantation of cartilage from a place to damaged place. This is what I understand.

Before this,

I had a surgery by 1st doctor (TANG)on  Feb 2nd 2010, called “MICROFRACTURE”,to remove the torn  cartilage part(nearly dime size) from my left knee.

I am doing physical therapy since then and was unable to recover from the pain.

Let me know if he needs any info.

Thanks,
Chandukc

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: OSTEOCHONDRAL DEFFECT-help me
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »
Hi there

OATS has a good reputation for dealing with focal OCD defects. You'll be on crutches between 4 and 6 weeks...not 46 weeks! Precise crutch times depend on your location of the defect and your doctor's rehab protocol.

Check out the post op diary by a member called Dad3 - he had successful OATS work done last year. Its in the Post Op diaries under Craig's ACLr and OATS.

It isn't unusual for further procedures to be needed if the MFX fails. OATS takes a piece of healthy cartilage from a non weight bearing area of the knee and implants it into the defect. With time, rehab and PT it should bed in and create a good fix. You'll need to be very clear on your rehab protocol and be patient, but it sounds like you have that already with MFX having been done earlier this year.

I hope this time the surgery helps

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
Dr. Grosso is with the group of doctors i saw previously. i liked him and he seemed to know his stuff. There is lots of information on the web about OATS and I can also recommend some other doctors in the MD area if you are interested in getting a second opinion. My friend is going through this right now, having had a failed microfracture in september of last year, she is now getting a few other opinions and I believe she is considering OATS too.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline chandukc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the response cranker and lottie.Thanks much.Since 1 week am doing physical therapy more time than usual.Now I do not feel any pain and walking bit better.I'm really happy now and decided to go for 2 more months these kind of therapy and will decide what to do.Thanking u much 4 ur support guys..