Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Another setback  (Read 1458 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Another setback
« on: June 16, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »
I feel so stupid!  Just as my left knee waqs starting to feel a little better after the slipping accident I had nearly two months ago, I go and injure it again.  This time all I was doing was sidestepping left.  A shoelace was hannging down on my left shoe and I had stood on it with my right so that when I lifted my foot and shifted my weight.  My body moved and my leg didn't.  Then there was a staggering as I lifted my right leg and sort of fell to my left with all my weight over the outside my left leg.  I heard it make a sort of snap and it felt extremely painful on the jointline for a couple of seconds, then it subsided and just felt strange.  This was on Monday ans since then I've had tightness on the tendon this is behind the knee and to the lateral side (don't know what this one is called),  there is also tenderness there, the top of my calf feels like there is a not in it, there some pain on the jointline that comes and goes and a feeling of pain and tenderness on what seems to be the quadroceps tendon when I walk.  I havn't had any noticeable swellingor warmth, but have been icing it and taking ibuprofen just to be on the safeside.  The last time I had a an accident with the left knee  i didn't start having any symptoms for a week.  My knee is stable but I'm favouring it when i walk but not noticeably.

My pt is away on holiday and I  don't see much point in seeing a gp so does anyone have any idea. what might be wrong.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
Re: Another setback
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »
It's so easily done!  If you are in any doubts the best thing you can do is see your GP - they can check your knee throughly and put your mind at rest either way!

Slip on shoes in future eh... or self-tying shoe laces??  :-\

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »
To be honest i don't thing a GP can tell you much compared to a physio.  They'd probably just say: rest it, ice and and take NSAID's which is what I'm doing anyway, they'd also say it was too soon to tell if i'd done anything really bad.  They can't send me for an mri cos I only had one a month ago.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
So............you've kind of answered your own question - rest it, ice it, take NSAIDs.....see how it goes. I doubt VERY much if you've done anything serious with the event you describe. I twisted my good-bad knee walking down the drive a while back - on a pothole. Hurt like ***, swelled up, stabbing in back of knee - was fine (as fine as it ever is) after a few days of being kind to it. A simple sprain can cause all of those symptoms and should settle in a few days, you've probably sprained one of the lateral structures slightly. Anything catastrophic would have swollen up!. Your MRI was clear, so it isn't likely you've aggravated anything that was lurking, so I'd keep it rested and chilled out, keep the ice on, take the pills and monitor it.

Velcro shoes?  ;)

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »
Lottie - you took the words out of my mouth you scary scary woman!

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
That's definately what I'll do, but regarding the mri;  I had one done back in October becaus my left leg was doing too much work back then and was complaining.  It clicked a lot and the pt said he could feel some fluid under the kneecap but it felt a heck of a lot better than it does now.  I had the scan and all it said was that i had some wear and tear on the lfc and the patella cartliage was a bit uneven.  Then I had a slip a couple of moths ago andanother mri which didn't report anything at all and was done by another raidiologist, so I'm wondering why one remarked on the cartliage and the other didn't.  Should I ask my GP to quiery it and get a raidiologist to look at both sets and tell me if there have been any changes?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
It sounds as though the cartilage issues were pretty minor, so perhaps the second radiologist didn't think they were significant enough to comment on. It could also be that the angle of the scan was slightly different, or there was a tiny bit of movement that made it slightly less clear. It doesn't sound to me like it's anything to worry about, but if it would set your mind at rest given your continuing knee problems it can't hurt to ask for a review.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
I had all my mris done at the same place.  I've had two done on my right knee and the raidiologist actually refered back to the first on the report of the scond one and compared them.  The same guy also did the first report on my left and the alst scan I had on the left has been done by someone different who hasn't compared them.  I'll see if I can see my pt isn a week or two and do my best to deal with things for now, I might see a gp in the meantime but I don't think it will achieve much.

The slip and the stumble that this knee has had probably wouldn't bother someone with a healthy knee.  The problem is that this knee has been weakened and not really had the same tlc as my operated leg.