Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stop Me Joining The Forces?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Z u l u

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stop Me Joining The Forces?
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:47:42 AM »
I wanted to know if anyone knew if an ACL reconstruction would stop me joining any of the Armed forces?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Israel149

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Stop Me Joining The Forces?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:09:23 AM »
Hi Zulu just got out myself, I have know people to join with such issues. What will happen is when you go in for your physical examination and they will most likely fail you however, you can request a waiver for your issue. You will (if accepted) be sent to a doctor to have a look at your knee, if he believes it will not slow you down or the military will not cause further injury to your knee he will pass you and you can be accepted in. I have also known many people that have lied about their injury to increase their success for passing physical examination. I am not endorsing this however it has been done, and is MUCH more common that people getting waivers. I had a friend in the army who had no ACL in one knee and did perfectly fine.

Good Luck

PS. Please note i am from the US so things might be different for you but thats how the process works herer
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:23:13 AM by Israel149 »

Offline nokneed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »
Hi there,

I was a marine engineer in the Royal Navy until I smashed my knee up. Unfortunately they threw me out after 2 failed ACL recons, although that was a lot to do with the nature of my job - lots of heavy lifting, kneeling etc.

If your ACL recon is successful, and you get a good recovery, I would imagine you won't have any problems provided you can run about 10km, carry a decent weight on your back and be able to get round the usual assault course type obstacles (high walls, scramble nets etc).

I know loads of guys who've picked up these kind of injuries over the years and are still serving - I also worked with a Royal Marine officer with one leg and could still do his job to the full.

Hope this helps.

Will

p.s. What service do you want to join, and what as ?

Offline Z u l u

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
After University i amlooking to join the RAF in Air traffic control, although the job itself will not be as physically demanding as other jobs within the forces i will still need to pass all the fitness tests as you would allready know, i just hope all goes well and that this injury will not hinder my progress in getting my career choice.

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:32:30 PM »
a guy at my work is retired from the RAF after 22 years or whatever, he was a navy copper so not actually airbound and as far as i know never went to war

he got 'kicked out' for having artiritis in his knee. he is a big guy so all that physical exercising had taken his toll and they woudlnt let him stay past his 22 year retirement

he did say they can be fairly harsh

he also said the type of training they give you is extremley harsh on the knee and we did wonder why they they wouldnt adjust it to stop that happening to a lot of their staff but i guess they dont care.

support