Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: SIS Small-intestinal Submucosa  (Read 926 times)

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
SIS Small-intestinal Submucosa
« on: October 02, 2003, 09:04:32 AM »
Hi everyone-

Has anyone heard of this material or has anyone had it used in them for tissue reconstruction?

I have found a bit of info, but as always I am looking for firsthand experiences.

In talking with my OS about my upcoming surgery on the 22nd, he has told me that instead of using cadaver tissue to reconstruct my medial retinaculum and MCL, he is going to be using a material called SIS.

This material called SIS, or small-intestine submucosa is made from 7 layers of material taken from the small intestine of a pig.  It is supposed to be VERY strong and also stimulates the body to replace the SIS with the natural tissue that is being reconstructed (not scar tissue).  Although it is not widely used yet, it is suspected that the uses will become more and more evident.

I have found a couple of really good articles about it and have included them as it seems that this may be the material of the future for use in all types of ligament repairs.

http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/0002.Badylak.SIS.html
http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1997121604.shtml

Hope everyone is having good knee days today......

-Heather G.  

Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: SIS Small-intestinal Submucosa
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 04:53:45 PM »
Heather G~
    I have never heard of this but I wanted to tell you that I read the articles.....very interesting. I know that this is going to work, it has too. Good luck and I hope you find someone that has first hand info......Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

support