Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help with DVT  (Read 1136 times)

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Help with DVT
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »
My friend had an arthroscopy on his foot about 3 weeks ago where they tidied up some bone damage etc.  He left hospital the same day but wasn't really told much except to keep his leg up and ice it if it swells up.  Fast forward to yesterday and he is in a lot of pain and has finally been diagnosed with DVT.  He has been told he has to inject every day and is on tablets.  He was also told that his veins will be damaged for the rest of his life and he must be careful when flying. 

Other than that we are a bit in the dark about what this means for him-can't DVT be really dangerous?  Has anyone had any experience with DVT? He loves off road biking, will this be affected?  Also, when I had my trochleoplasty I had to do ankle pumps every hour, was wearing those silly socks and had to inject every day for 2 weeks post op to prevent DVT and was given strict instructions on exercises to do.  He on the other hand wasn't given any of this.  Has his hospital been negligible?  It makes me so angry that he has developed something that will stay with him for life when he wasn't given any advice about how to prevent it. GRR.
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Help with DVT
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
Try this site for information
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/default.htm
and this one
http://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-disease/dvt/living/index.aspx

Lots of good information on both.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline GymRat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
I was wondering....Did the hosptial tried to take pre-cautionary steps eg Blood tests , Doppler ultrasound, encouraged the patient to move? Was he forewarned about DVT?

I would think cycling wouldnt be that much of a problem in the future...after all...a good blood circulation would keep DVTs away.  (I was forced to move about to prevent clots right after the surgery)

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
Thanks Maryc, I'll have a look at both of those.

Gym Rat I don't think he was recommended to do anything precautionary against getting DVT-that's what makes me angry because after my op they took so many precautions and made me do ankle pumps every hour etc.  Maybe it depends on the hospital's protocol but sound pretty negligent to me.
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline jane77

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
This is what happened to me in 1998 - my DVT discovered by my physio 2 weeks after surgery . I had gone to the physio as I thought I was slow to respond to the exercises... and she told me to get to A &E !

I am also angry as my OS took no precautions at all. I am 2x as angry as even after dx of the DVT - that my GP did nothing except pain relief until I screamed blue murder at her at the 6 week mark. She then checked with a vascular and I had the injections that smae afternoon !. I now have Post Thrombotic Syndrome in that leg due the clot sitting there so long, and am now having problems finding an OS willing to do a second op.

Research Nattokinase NSK-SD.  It breaks down small micro clots and keeps the vein 'unclogged' . If the vein can dissolve the micro clots the theory is that the damage will be less.   I have taken NK for 7 years now and soon know when I don't ! I get pain and swelling back almost within days.

Make sure it is the NSK-SD type as there are inferior brands about now.  NK is a natural soybean theraputic. 

Did your friend have any tests for Factor V Leiden ? It really annoys me that we are not given the option for FVL tests to be done.

support