Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rehab  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Kat_Jenkins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • The devil has come for my knees, I swear !
Rehab
« on: October 02, 2003, 08:18:34 AM »
Ok, im only 14 and I have just had a tibial tubercle transfer and a lateral release because my knee maltracked so badly I could hardly go a day without heaps of pain. It is only about 2 weeks since my opperation and suprisingly enough, i feel great. I can put a fair amout of weight on my leg but the only problem is, im not sure wether I should even be doing this at all. Is it bad for me? I have been given a set of really simple exercises involving bending my knee and tightening the muscles around the knee cap. These are really easy to do and dont hurt. Should I be doing more?

Please can someone tell me what to do !  ???

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
Re: Rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 08:25:10 AM »
Kat-

I would just like to start off by saying a big KneeGeek welcome to you!!!!!!

As far as rehab goes, BE CAREFUL!!!!!  You need to check with your OS before doing anything on your newly operated knee.  Depending on the OS, there have been some of us that were not even allowed to do ANY weightbearing until 8 weeks post-op.

Eventhough it feels fine, please, please check the limitations of what the doc wants you to do.  I know as well as anyone how easy it is to reinjure your knee and have it require more surgery.  I would hate to have anything happen to you especially at the age of 14.

Hope everything sontinues to go well for you and if you have any other questions about my experience with my TTT feel free to IM or e-mail me any time.

Hugs and happy knee thoughts,
Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 08:34:56 AM »
Kat,

I'll have to agree with the other Heather on this one.  Your surgeon should have given you specific instructions on what you can and can't do. If not to you, then to who accompanied you to your surgery.  Have you even had your 1st post op yet?  It's wonderful that you are feeling so good and feeling like you can do these exercises and weight bearing but please please check with your surgeon before doing them.  

The surgery you had involved moving bone and bones take time to heal. You don't want too much stress on the surgical site as you could damage what has been done. Please be careful!

I am 4 weeks post op from the same surgery and am still on crutches with only touch down weight bearing. I'm only allowed to bend the knee to 30 degrees. Nothing aggressive.  As you can see, the post op period differs dramatically.  Good luck to you and I hope your recovery continues to be so great!  

Heather B.    
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Kat_Jenkins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • The devil has come for my knees, I swear !
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 08:39:35 AM »
Yes, I have just been to my first post-op but the surgen was really busy and didnt really have time to tell me anything. I have been told to bend my knee to 90 degrees and I can do that really easily.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 10:06:36 AM »
Kat,

Was anything mentioned as far as weight bearing?  I know you mentioned exercises to strengthen around the knee and the instructions your got for those. I think those exercises and bending to 90 to degrees may be all you should be doing right now until you find out for certain.  When do you go back to the doc?  Just because the exercises they gave you became easier doesn't mean there is a definite need to do more just yet.  I totally understand why you want to but things need to move slowly to acommodate the healing process.

Were you given crutches at all?  It's kind of hard to tell where you should be as far as recovery and things you should be doing post op since every OS does things differently. I think a lot of has to do with the problems and condition you were in prior to the surgery.

If I were you I would not do anything more until I called the doc and verified. You seriously do not want to take the chance of hurting yourself again. Even if you get the okay to advance some, it wont hurt anything waiting a day or two just be sure. I know I can weight bear on my leg. I can hobble okay for the most part. I know this because I actually did it just to see if I could. I know I am not supposed to for at LEAST 2 more weeks though.  My surgeon was worried about weight bearing too soon and stressing the surgical site and messing it all up. I also had my quad tendon reattached again and that could be the reason for his concern.

Please play it safe and check. It can't hurt to make sure even if you are to be doing all that you are. It's wonderful that you are getting along so well. I'm very very jealous hun!  ;)  Keep up that eager attitude, it will make things easier for the rest of your recovery.

Take care,
Heather B.
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

support