Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Some positives please....  (Read 1906 times)

Offline SR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Some positives please....
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »
Hi there... this is my first post and to be honest there is a part of me which is feeling a little ungrateful, but the other part is bigger right now!

I am 37 years old and have always had knee problems. I wasnt very considerate to my knees over the years!

Recently I had a relatively small incident which likely aggravated a tear and 70% of my meniscus was removed in my left knee. I am going for replacement surgery (actifit) in about three weeks time. It has also since been discovered that on my right knee I have some cartildage damage (small) and another meniscus tear. Depends on who you speak  to this can or cant be repaired. I am going to consider this once my left knee is sorted out (whatever that means)...

I dont have any meaningful OA yet and while there is some narrowing of the spaces in between the joints the bones are all so far ok, tendons and ligaments are also ok.... I walk with a slight bow leg...

Problem is though (and I understand why) is that I have become very depressed about it. I cannot seem to feel that a Multiple KR is inevitable. Depends on who you speak to and what you read but it seems that I might have anything from 5-10 years. Is this written in stone and is there nothing more I can do (Other than the usual excercise and protecting my knees)?

I realise that my problems are small compared to others however any positive information on this would really be appreciated. I am finding this debilitating mentally...

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:45:54 AM by SR »

Offline rox59

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Some positives please....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
I can't really comment on your knee problems- I don't have experience with your issues- but here is the positive you ask for, and I often remind myself- be grateful that you still have 2 legs and that you can walk, and that you are not in a wheelchair!  Also, you are 37, and believe it or not- you will recover a lot faster than most people having these problems who are older than you if you have surgery.  Think of all of those elderly people who fall and break their hips at 80- I have one at my gym who is in her 90s now, and she recovered and she's awesome!
Cheeer up-
Rox
Rt Patella Fracture 4/2/10
Surgery 4/6/10
Full weight bearing leg brace 4/6/10
Brace free-5/2/10
Back in brace 50% of time 5/28/10
Blew out knee muscles 6/14/10
Back in surgery 6/17/10
Full recovery in 1 year?????

Offline SR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
Thanks Rox59... I guess I am wanting someone to tell me something which is impossible and that all my aches and pains will go away and they are now 110% after exactly the same incident. Not going to happen...

Maybe the secret is not trying to get back but rather to deal with where you are at...  ??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

If I work this out I will get back to you...

Offline vl7007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:53:40 PM »
Hi SR.  Read your post with interest.  you're correct, it is important to deal with where you are at present and learn to live in the now rather than look but and think of what was.  Think of all the wonderful things you can still do, and remember that you have many positive things and people in your life.  Life is an everchanging experience where one learns and grows, accidents and mistakes happen, one grows in other ways and learns to adapt from them. 

I look at my daughter she is now in a wheelchair, and has some very down days because of what she is dealing with, then she seems to step up to the situation, and take control of it and things begin to become clearer for her, and kat discovers there is more to life for her than walking.  It is a very hard process, and she needs counselling to help her deal with her lifestyle changes. Talk to your doctor and physio about this they may also have some suggestions in coping.  There are also  many supports groups out there for people with mobility issues, some are via internet like this one, and others will be in the area that you live.  Source them out find out if there is a group that does physio together, join in and meet others dealing with similar problems.  I know at first everyone will want to tell their story and it can be very depressing, but it helps to give you prespective to your situation, you will realize that your a not alone in this, and also that others may just have it harder than you.

Don't take this as a negetive as my intentions are positive ones.  I know that my daughter does not have your problem, however, I do understand that there are times when it all seems overwhelming and impossible.  Remember that this is a great site for emotional support as everyone here is looking for answers, and willing to listen and respond where possible.   

As Scarlet O'Hara said in Gone with the Wind, in desperation, "Tomorrow is another day."  This quote is something to remember as you will go forward and achieve so much more yet.  You need to rediscover your faith in your self to achieve the impossible, I know you can, time is a wonderful healing tool.

If you need to talk to someone, I will listen.  Catch you later

Kats mum Vicki
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:11:18 AM by vl7007 »

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
Hi

If you look at my signature u can see that I have got issues a bit like you but I am older but not that much older so I do not fall into the very young or the very old!  I went last year from having no knee problems at all to two menisectomies in less than a year, a 4cmsquare hole in my articular cartilage and only 20% meniscus left.    I know exactly how you feel  - if only this if only I had not gained so much weight if only I had not worn those shoes that day etc etc. But as someone said earlier you still have two legs and you will not die from an OA knee!  Also you are young enough to take advantage of the medical advances which are coming all the time like stem cells.  Sad  to say there is money in OA so there is a will to come up with new stuff.  Just think 30 years ago they would have just whipped out that meniscus and said oh well you do not need it better out than in so things are being found out all the time.

I do feel for you.  YOu can always post and I will try to reply.  I expect the operation is worrying you a bit.  I try to look at these poor kids in India who need a simple cleft palate fixed and it does make you realise how lucky we are corny but true.

Sorry to ramble on but help that helps.

Sleepylawyer ;D
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 02:01:27 AM »
I understand you frustration and sadness. It is completely normal. I too have days where I wonder why me, and wish for no pain, an wonder what the future holds. Then, I have to pull myself together and be thankful for being alive and able to be with my children and family. I was in a sledding accident and did significant damage to my knee. One month after my injury a mom died in a sledding accident. Therefore, I am so grateful! It is difficult at times, but I have learned patience, to listen to my body, and wait for healing. It takes time, but there are so many things that could be worse. Hang in there and good luck to you!
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

Offline SR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
Thank you all for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

This whole thing has taken me by surprise. I never realised that something like this would happen to me or that if it did it would affect me how it has.

Sleepylawyer - operations I am ok with, but it is that I feel so helpless. I know that this is one of those times where I need to accept but obviously I have trouble with it. I am trying to deal with this first to prevent depression getting worse....

It is so hard with a wife and young kids and they depend on me 100% for their income...

All said and done though... there are worse than me and I need to remember that. Once again thank you!

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »
I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason, even if we can't see why. Take this time to spend quality time with your wife and children, reading, playing games, etc., they will bring you joy and it will all work out, just have faith!
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed