Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Should I travel? 7 days post patella fracture  (Read 6123 times)

Offline lisac573

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I travel? 7 days post patella fracture
« on: June 13, 2010, 04:03:25 PM »
Hello,

I fractured my patella horizontally 4 days ago from a fall down a concrete staircase.  The orthopedic doctor said that I narrowly dodged the surgery bullet because it was a clean fracture and, so far, the patella is not completely separated.  It's fractured all the way across, and about 2/3 back into my knee cap.  I'm scheduled to go back in 2 weeks to be sure that the patella has not separated further.

My husband and I have had a trip planned to go to San Francisco and to the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach for the last 6 months.  We are scheduled to leave next Tuesday (7 days post fracture).  The doc has given me the ok to travel, but I'm still concerned - mostly about the 4 hour flight, and potential for blood clots.  I'm a 29 year old female in good health, and have not had a great deal of pain associated with the injury.

I hate to cancel the trip that we have been looking forward to for so long!  Please let me know what advice you have.  Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:36:59 PM by lisac573 »

sheila edwards

Re: Should I travel? 7 days post patella fracture
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
hi, i am 11 weeks post surgery from a  patella fracture, i did require surgery, and my leg was in a full cast for 8 weeks, i am now excercising to get movement back, i have at the moment only got 90 degrees, and cannot climb stairs without difficulty,so was worried about a trip i have got booked, so i asked the pt if i would be ok to fly,he said providing you drink plenty of fluids on board,(excluding tea, coffee, and fizzy drinks }wear flight socks, and walk up and down once in a while during the flight,you will be fine.
i did have a very swollen leg also so had to go for a scan to check for DVT,it was negative which was good news,but i also asked them at this clinic about flying and they said exactly the same thing,so think you should be ok.
hope this info helps-have a nice holiday

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
If the doc said it was okay and ou feel okay then I would - be a shame to miss it!

I believe I am correct in saying that even people in plaster castes can fly a couple of days after having the caste put on - just time for swelling to go down really.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline lisac573

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:32:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice!  I did decide to make the trip and my husband & we had a great time.  We rented a wheelchair and I was able to do most everything we had planned, thanks to my fabulous husband wheeling me all over town. I have a new appreciation for handicap accessibility and those who are so caring to others with mobility issues.  We made it to the U.S. Open and they were super accommodating - we were even on SportsCenter highlights in the front row of the grandstands on the 18th green!  We visited Alcatraz, went to a Giants baseball game, Chinatown, Ghiradelli Square, and drove the coast of California down to Monterey Bay.  I met some fabulous people along the way who have had knee injuries in the past.  Overall, it was a wonderful experience. 

The only problem I had was with United Airlines.  I would highly recommend not flying on United with a mobility issue. I called their call center in India twice to determine my options since I cannot straighten my leg and was told that the ticket counter would help me once I got to the airport.  I explained that I could not wait until I got to the airport to determine if they would be able to provide accessible seating, and after much discussion, was finally upgraded to seats with 5 inches additional leg room.  On the flight to San Francisco, they did not have pre-boarding for handicapped passengers, and I was treated like a nuisance by the flight attendants & staff.  Coming back from San Francisco, we waited 45 minutes at the boarding counter to determine if I could potentially switch tickets with a passenger in the first row of economy class as there was sufficient leg room in this row.  Once an attendant finally arrived, he would not even listen to my request (a simple, "I'm sorry, this is not an option" would have sufficed) and talked over me the entire time I was at the counter.  I ended up with my leg stuffed under the seat.  When I asked for extra ice on the plane to ice my knee, the attendant rolled her eyes and huffed off.  This experience was bad enough that I won't be flying United again.  Just a word of advice - flying is tough enough when you are injured, you don't need ignorant people on top of it!

support