Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Both Knees Slowly Growing Unstable  (Read 959 times)

Offline thomyorke64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Both Knees Slowly Growing Unstable
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
Hello,

I am a 23 year old male, without any significant history of knee problems. When I was 14 may be the only exception-- something about adolescence cause a piece of cartilage to get locked in my right knee, and I had to wear an immobilizer for about three weeks. After this, it was fine. I was climbing mountains the rest of the summer with no issue.

Flash forward 8 years. I am very active; I was able to bike, run, hike, climb up stairs and ladders with no issue. I did these activities in moderation, nothing too stressful.

Last fall, something started to go wrong. It happened to both knees at once. I started to get a feeling of instability, with the most discomfort right above the kneecap in the front. I can feel it slightly while standing still, but it's most pronounce while walking. About three quarters of the way through a step forward, it feels unstable, and because of this I feel as though I almost stumble onto my other foot.

The strangest thing is that this problem happens intermittently, and sometimes I'll go a week or more with no issue. It also varies in intensity. On some days, there's only a slight stiffness, and on other days it's so noticeable that it's difficult to walk around. I've tried to figure out any trigger for this condition but it has been difficult to do so. It does not correspond to how far I've walked in a day. The only things I've noticed a correspondence with are (and I feel stupid saying this one) rainy or cold weather, and sometimes when I sleep on my back.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, let me know! I have no health insurance through work (as I am but a lowly intern) and would like to know the possibilities. I'm putting some money away just in case I need medical help, but I wanted opinions on the condition from this site.

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Both Knees Slowly Growing Unstable
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
Hi there,

I'm no expert but I wonder whether your growing instability could have something to so with your muscle strength around you knees.  Do you work out at all or cycle/run regularly?  It just seems a coincidence that both knees have become unstable at the same time. 

It might be worth paying to see a physio for a one off appointment, so you can get some good muscle strengthening exercises and see how you go with them, and of course see someone if there is no improvement.

I had a physical problem with the groove my kneecap sits in so had to have an operation but during my rehab I've realised just how fundamental muscle strength is to the feeling of stability.  I also know from my own experiences and also by reading others' on here that most consultants will try the patient on a course of  'conservative' treatment (physio to strengthen) before thinking of anything else anyway so it might be worth trying out this (much cheaper) option before considering the huge cost of seeing a consultant.

Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!