Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: medical tourism  (Read 1685 times)

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
medical tourism
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
hi all, has anybody out there ever travelled to germany for knee surgery. i have been in touch with a company in hamburg called premier healthcare.
i need my hoffa pad trimmed and they can give me an mri scan and op for around £2100. in the uk its around £4000.
has anyone ever used medical tourism or even this company?
i can fly to hamburg from edinburgh for under £100

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: medical tourism
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:14:48 AM »
Hi Owen,

I would suggest having it in the UK rather than go to Germany.

It is a lot easier for follow up if you go to someone in your own country rather than going overseas.

Price should not be your primary criteria for finding a surgeon. You should find someone that is good at dealing with your problem and that has good follow up.

Good luck !
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:56:15 AM »
Hi Owen,

I was reading about this yesterday in the newspapers here in Germany. Apparently the EU has just codified the regulations allowing you to travel anywhere you want to  get treatment within the EU and your home national service pays as if you were in your own country.

On one hand I think it is great to be able to go and be treated by experts in their own centres but the catch in the set up is not getting your costs back. It is whether in the long run it is really worth it.

Each country has its own rehab culture and the surgery and rehab are intrinsically bound together. They do things in a certain way because they know that the rehab procedures will counter any adverse effects. A classic example here in Germany is the use of heparin or similar shots post-operatively. I had them after every operation and continued having them for as long as I was immobile or not fully weight-bearing and using my leg fully. Post-operative drains are also used to drain the wound sites and even day surgery patients are sent home with flasks attached to your crutches. Minor surgery and they are removed the next day, major surgery and they are left for as long as stuff is coming out! After my last surgery I had them for 4 days and they were gunky believe me.

If you have surgery in one place and then go to another country for the rehab you are risking compromising the expected outcomes. After orthopaedic surgery the rehab timelines/protocols are based in Germany on having loads of PT - on a daily basis initially, tailing off down to 3 times, then 2 times, etc. The therapy will begin with manual lymph drainage to help reduce swelling, passive manual therapy, ice, then lymph drainage massage again. But depending on the surgery, they expect you to be in PT for at least 5 to 6 weeks under such a system as I have described. Will you get that when you get back home to Scotland?

I think medical tourism is fine for some procedures but definitely not for knee surgery unless you can stay and rehab under the same system.

My first knee injury was horrendous and I was hospitalised in Austria for 5 weeks but the prognosis was that I would return to skiing the next season. When I was repatriated to the UK (the one and only time I have ever travelled First Class!), the UK surgeons took one look at all my notes (the Austrians had translated everything for them!) and said "No WE don't do things like that here", whacked me in plaster for 3 months and told me I'd never walk normally again! I was a full-time PE teacher at the time so you can imagine how that felt. When they finally took me out of plaster they then told me I'd have to walk with a stick for the rest of my life.  :o Not a happy bunny. Especially as that was about the time on the rehab program that the Austrians had said I could start gently training again.

Better to find someone in the UK who can help you and that you can return to for follow up on a regular basis. Is there not any one in Edinburgh or Glasgow that can help? Both have excellent reputations and very good schools of physiotherapy at their universities.

Good luck, but please be careful about clutching at straws like this. There are some very unscrupulous companies out there who are willing to exploit the desperation of patients looking for quick fixes.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
Thanks for the posts guys. travelling abroad is a concern for me and i am worried that there are companies out there just trying to steal my cash.
Sue, the nhs phsyio here in scotland is quite poor, there is no hands on its all rehab exercises. they even told me not to stretch!!!! and its hard to find a good physio here.
i have found a very good surgeon in glasgow who is a soft tissue expert and i am going to see him on monday to hopefully get a date for surgery. you are right the cost should not be my first concern and thats why i was looking for other knee geeks opinions.
thanks for the input guys
owen

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
Owen if you are looking for an excellent physio and would consider coming down to Gourock I know a fantastic one,who treats a lot of the morton player [dont hold that against him] but he is also treating my surgeons wife and he is sooooo full of praise for him he even told me he is the only person to get a free ticket to a charity dance my surgeon was organising, he has helped me greatly after the nhs physio told me there was nothing else they could do for me and will help me after my aclr if you are interested I could pm you his details
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »
hey all,
thank for all the posts, i am going to have the knee scoped in glasgow next week to trim my hoffa pad.

cheers owen

ps tez thanks for the info on paul kelly , i might just go there

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
hi all,
 just had my scope done today to trim the fat pad, there were other problems which were treated.
cartilidge damage at the back of kneecap, floating piece of cartilidge and bone spurs.
he also stated that there was early signs of wear and tear.

7 months ago the nhs did a scope and told me there was nothing wrong and the knee was in good health!!!

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
I hope everything turns out well for you Owen.

Have you been in contact with Tez's PT? - Definitely better to be treated on home territory whatever happens.

Don't knock the NHS too much though. You may have had a bum deal at one particular centre on a particular occasion, but all in all I still think it is better than having some company non-medically trained employee deciding whether or not the insurance you paid into will pay or not for treatment you actually need!

Sue ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »
Owen I was wondering how things were going for you..Glad you've had your scope I hope what you have had done will make a difference for you. How are you feeling afterwards? what is the pain etc like?
How about Paul Kelly did you manage to get to see him?
Sorry for so many questions but I would love to hear how everything goes for you.
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:54:44 AM »
hi sue and tez,

yeah the knee is pretty sore just now but the meds are helping.
the pt at the hospital said i could take the bandage off in the morning and put on the tubigrip.
done some light exercises earlier and i used the cryocuff but it was not cooling the knee so much because of the bandages. tez i have emailed paul but the surgeon has advised i use his pt( frank gilroy at hampden park)so i am waiting until i can drive again b4 deciding who to see.

sue, i think you are right i was just unlucky, there are a lot of good surgeon and pt's that work in the nhs
thanks for replying guys, tez i will update how things progress on knee guru, what's going on with you?

cheers owen

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 03:27:03 AM »
Owen thanks for the update and good luck with your recovery I really hope you find this op sorts out your problems.
As for the physio you choose as long as you get someone you trust thats the most important thing so good luck with that as well
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture