Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 7 days post ACL using patellar - bruising  (Read 10897 times)

Offline therempels2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
7 days post ACL using patellar - bruising
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:30:21 AM »
I had surgery done 7 days ago, June 3rd, to reconstruct the ACL using the patellar tendon.  I have been doing pretty good managing pain and physical therapy.  4 days after I was able to do the 10 leg lifts in order for my Dr to tell me I didn't have to wear the knee brace.  My question is about my ankle being very blue.  I am a bit worried considering I have no medical expereince as to why it is so bruised.  My PT suggested blood pooled there, but I still don't feel comfortable and am worrying about a blood clot.  I have pain because I just had surgery, but how do I know when I should go to the Dr, when I should just take a deep breath and relax.  I just noticed the bruising there yesterday so 6 days post op.  I have been walking around on it and can do my leg lifts.  I have 95% bending and 3% shy of straightening.  I can do 30 leg lifts.  Seems to me everything is going good so should I be worried about the huge bruise that appeared on the inside of my ankle?  I have bruising around the knee and the tibia bone as well.  I am fair skinned...just need a bit of advice...please help :)  Thanks!  :-*

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 7 days post ACL using patellar - bruising
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
Random bruising after such an operation is not uncommon, even at the ankle area, but any real concerns should be addressed to the OS..............we are not surgeons.

The symptoms for a blood clot are well documented on the internet etc so can be easily looked up.  My guess would be that this is normal for acl reconstruction.  After all think about how much the surgoen has messed around inside your joint.  I however did not have too much bruising from either of my acl ops.......just lucky i suppose.

Good Luck

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
I had bruising in the exact place you mentioned both after my original injury and surgery. (I also had extensive bruising on my shin, which was very painful).  I was told the same thing by my OS--blood from the injury/surgery pooling. Nothing to worry about. It showed up just about when yours did and started to fade maybe a week later.

My understanding of the thing to watch out for with a DVT is sharp pain in the calf...There have been a few people on the boards here who have had them and it appears to be super painful.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »
I've certainly heard stories of a whole range of bruising effects after ACL reconstruction, and this doesn't sound out of the ordinary. (Over on Cosmicsnuffle's post-op thread there's a very impressive photo of her leg a few days after surgery - it's more bruise than leg!) However, if you have any DVT concerns it's way better to get them checked out. There's a list of DVT symptoms that you can check out here as a starting point: http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/dvt/dvt_symptoms.html. If you're worried about it being a possibility, definitely better safe than sorry.

Good luck  with your rehab!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 01:34:29 AM »
Hi,

Oh the bruising  :o.... I did have a pretty spectacular case - and even with elevating and icing consistently throughout the first week I still had a black and blue ankle and foot (in fact - after 3 weeks it is the only visible bruising remaining!).

The muscles in your calf are surrounded with a layer of tissue which separates them into distinct "compartments". The compartments end at the ankle, so any fluid/ blood which has accumulated in your leg (eg from bruising) will gradually migrate there under gravity.

I did have a DVT scare (luckily it wasn't a DVT) - my calf became inflamed, reddened behind the knee (aside from the bruising) and painful to the point of not being able to bear weight - throbbing continuously and incredibly tender to touch. Sometimes DVTs have very little in the way of noticeable symptoms.

ACLr may be routine but it is still a pretty traumatic surgery - bruising is not unexpected BUT if you have any doubts then contact your local clinic (I called our out of hours GP service who directed me to the out-of-hours clinic at our local hospital.

Good luck!
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline therempels2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:15:15 PM »
 ;D Thank you everyone for your replies.  I guess I haven't had any unbearable pain, which is good.  I am a worrier.  I go back to the OS on Monday, so I will check with him then about his thoughts.  I think I just needed a bit of reassurance.  I have been walking around on it with and without the brace.  So I still have good weight bearing capabilities, and have been doing all of the pt exercises.  I appreciate all of you.  Thanks again! ;)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
It's natural to be concerned. Glad you feel more reassured. There is a lot going on in your joint at the moment... from reading other ACLr posts it can be some time before you become familiar and make friends with your new knee.

Hope the OS visit goes well tomorrow ... we'll look out for a great update.!!  I get to wait 'til 2 months post op before seeing a registrar  ::)!

:)
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

support