Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: medial knee pain PLZ HELP!  (Read 1510 times)

Offline msbaseball

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
medial knee pain PLZ HELP!
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »
knee mystery!! i am a 16 year old male with a history of growth related knee pain: osgood-schlatters and patellofemoral syndrome. thankfully, those ailments have subsided for now, but as of recently, i have another knee ailment that is probably the most painful yet. it is in my left knee on the inside (medial) --- this link has pictures of where it hurts exactly

[link removed by KNEEguru for security sake]

i have seen two pt guys and one orthopedist, both of whom examined my knee and although did not directly conclude this, none thought i had a mcl or meniscus tear based on physical exam. i have not gone for an mri for lack of insurance coverage.

as far as biomechanics, both my hips are internally rotated, and i toe in while walking, running, biking, etc (although i believe toeing out is what causes medial pain). i also have extremely flat feet, but i wear supportive shoes and custom orthotics.

it first came while doing elliptical trainer--it was sharp, as if nails had been driven into it. it comes back when i walk too much, bike too much, or especially play any sports that requires pivoting on the knee (tennis, eg.). it does NOT hurt to run briefly or perform any squatting exercises (even with  very heavy weight). it seems to hurt more with time used rather than the manner in which it was used, and it seems like if i can keep my knee directly in alignment, it hurts less (although it's quite hard to focus on that at all times).

i do notice it a bit in my right knee, but it is not really painful or in anyway debilitating (which leads me to believe that it is perhaps not an acute injury--i can recall no specific instance or trauma that may have caused this except. however, the onset was quite sudden on the elliptical). there will be days when i can bike for 20 minutes without any pain, but, occasionally, the next morning, it will hurt more.

i don't know what to do about this pain. i've had it since the middle of march (2010), and i know that my patellofemoral syndrome took about 9 mos. to calm down.

any suggestions? i've researched mcl sprain / meniscus tear online, and don't think i have either (although i may very well have one). there seems to be a dearth of any other diagnoses for medial knee pain, so i am desperate!! i just want to be pain free for the first time in years. i won't have many more years to play organized sport
i do notice it a bit in my right knee, but it is not really painful or in anyway debilitating (which leads me to believe that it is perhaps not an acute injury--i can recall no specific instance or trauma that may have caused this except. however, the onset was quite sudden on the elliptical). there will be days when i can bike for 20 minutes without any pain, but the next morning, it will hurt more.

i don't know what to do about this pain. i've had it since the middle of march (2010), and i know that my patellofemoral syndrome took about 9 mos. to calm down.

any suggestions? i've researched mcl sprain / meniscus tear online, and don't think i have either (although i may very well have one). there seems to be a dearth of any other diagnoses for medial knee pain, so i am desperate!! i just want to be pain free for the first time in years. i won't have many more years to play organized sport
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:34:35 PM by The KNEEguru »

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: medial knee pain PLZ HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:12:54 PM »
My experience has been similar, though i had noknee problems until i was nearly 27.  i've got flat feet and have been wearing orthotics for the past 15 years (since I was 14( and walk with my left big toe in, thoug I do try to correct it, but it is easy to forget.  I had no problems until I injurd my right knee doing Karate.  No-one could fin anythign wrong with my knee; 3 pt's, 3 gps and one orthotician.  I had pain on the inside, which was misdiagnosed as an mcl sprain.  I had treatment for an mcl sprain and for a little maltracking.  When my knee was tracking adn i still didn't feel right, they told me it was all in my head and even mri and ultrasound showed nothing.  I got a scope last summer and that showed a defect in the articular cartliage on the medial femoral cordye, I had a chrondopalsty and sine then my knee has felt a heck of a lot better on the medial side, except for the odd pain which has never been really bad.  Now I've got the same pain in the left since I had a slip a coule of months ago and it feels like history is repeating itself as once again no-one can tell me what is wrong and the mri say's nothing.

Back to your pobllem.  Does your knee make any noises? like excessive clicking or grinding?  Is it stable?  Can you walk heel toe in a natural way?  Does it hurt to weightbear?  Do you favour thqt knee when you walk?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
THIS LINK ABOVE TRIGGERS A VIRUS WARNING ON MY PC!!!

I am not sure if you have a genuine knee issue and are unaware of this, or if you're trying to install a virus.

PLEASE don't click this link - Knee Guru can you check this out?
Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 114
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »
Link removed for security sake.

Take a look at some You Tube videos of medial plica and see if that fits your pain site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90uDaJTdc_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hqNOxBAisQ&feature=related

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
I didn't get a virus warning.  I saw the pictures and they looked genuine enough, but I'll do a scan to be on the safe side.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline msbaseball

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
thanks for all your responses thus far. as far as the images go, i just wanted to upload them to a image hosting website so that people can look. it's not really essential to look at them; it's pretty much just medial knee pain towards the bottom portion of the knee. Sorry if any virus scans think it's a virus--i am a genuine knee patient, please do not think otherwise.

my knee does not usually make any noises; however, when inflamed, both knees will make a popping sound when i extend fully. i guess catching would describe the sensation? but i'm not sure. these pops are not painful; i just notice them. it could be inflamed tissue rubbing against something, i suppose.
i have been trying to walk heel toe with some success and it doesn't hurt anymore than regular walking.

i can weightbear--i can even hop up and down on the bad leg. the only thing that hurts it is weightbearing while pivoting--if i bear weight while my toe is internally or externally rotated too much, that's what really aggravates it. since i naturally toe in, this happens a lot when i walk or ride a bike. it never feels unstable, just painful.

what exactly is a chrondoplasty? is it a big procedure? what is the recovery time??

and i will watch the videos on medical plica.

Lottiefox, i am sorry that your virus scan picked up the link to be a virus. oftentimes, image file hosting websites will be deemed unsafe because people can easily upload and download files from it. i assure, i have no intention of causing anyone viruses, especially people who are trying to help others! any other advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you and keep it coming!!

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
Chrondoplasty is a repair on small cartliage defects, larger ones use microfracture.  Basically the rough cartliage is smoothed over the hole or fissure to stiulate growth.  I've been to.d it creates fibrocartliage but others don't think so.  My recovery was lousey and I had most of my weight on the other leg for far too long.  They say it takes a year to fully settle in but you should be walking fairly normally after a couple of moths and be back into sport depending on the discretion of the pt and OS.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
I am getting pain also on the medial side of the knee which started since having my medial plica removed in November 2009. Like kscope09 I also had a normal MRI and was told by a physio that I do not have a knee problem and must be in my head.

When the OS looked inside my right knee had to trim the fat pad that was inflammed and removed the medial plica which has made my knee problem even worse 7 months post op. You can have a test done to see if it the plica is causing the pain and discomfort. My OS and physio never bothered doing the test.

You get good and bad days when you have a knee problem and have to learn to put up with it until you can get it fixed or do some physio to reduce the knee pain.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support