Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction--need to choose patellar or hamstring autograph  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACL reconstruction--need to choose patellar or hamstring autograph
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
What a great cane! I'd be proud to be walking around with that. :)

Glad to hear that all is going well for you, and I hope you continue to make good progress.

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline PeterB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
Tez,
   I was told to expect to be on crutches for as long as a month. Individual results will vary, I'm sure. Some people may get off them comparatively soon, others later. It could be that I'm a little behind on the typical recovery curve. But I'm not pushing the schedule too hard and unlike many others I don't have a particular sport I'm chomping at the bit to get back to . Perhaps I've been a little too protective of my knee, but re-injuring my knee would be a total nightmare.
  Best of luck with your surgery.
Peter

Offline PeterB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
Tez,
   I don't think I actually answered your question in the above post. I'm not walking so much as limping at the moment. I won't be ready to put full weight on the left knee for a while yet. It's pretty weak and wobbly feeling. Hence, the cane.  ;D
Peter

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Peter thanks for the reply
I am not into any particular sport either, but like you just want a working knee that I can trust ,I am just trying to work out how long I will be off work as I am a hairdresser in a very busy salon and sitting down during the day aint an option so I am interested how everyone recovers from this surgery, and how soon they feel they could be standing for 9 hours a day without any problem
Thanks again for the info
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline PeterB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 05:13:42 AM »
I am just trying to work out how long I will be off work as I am a hairdresser in a very busy salon and sitting down during the day aint an option so I am interested how everyone recovers from this surgery, and how soon they feel they could be standing for 9 hours a day without any problem

Tez, that's really tough to answer. Recovery from this type of surgery is no cake-walk. It's a shame that you're under a lot of pressure to get back to 9 hours/day standing. How much time can you take off? Perhaps with a leg immobilizer (rigid device that you stap on to your leg so the knee can't bend) you could be standing full days at your job after a few weeks. If you're really physically fit and conditioned and not overweight you may not have much trouble at all. Others may chime in to voice their opinions.

In my case, I'm fortunate (I guess) to have an office job that involves sitting in a chair in front of a computer all day. Also, my employer has been extremely accomodating. They are paying for me to park my car in the underground parking garage under the office tower where I work (ordinarily I would take a bus to work or ride bicycle). It's understood at the office that I have to spend a certain amount of time each day doing knee exercises and not doing any real office work at all.  8)  My attitude is my knee comes first and I have to recover. The bond market will still be there when I am able to give it my full attention.
-Peter

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
Peter thanks for the reply, luckly for me I am under no pressure from my boss to get back to work I will be payed my full basic wage for 12 weeks and after that will go on to sick money but my boss is also on of my best frinds and wants me back as good as new and not untill then, any pressure to get back to work comes from me, but the longer I'm off the more of my cliens will find another hairdresser it has taken me years to build up the clientel that I have and really dont want to lose it ::)

Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision