Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10  (Read 6111 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
Re: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
tez I could use a good cut, how quickly can you be in Detroit?  :)

Snowy- those are the ones! Turns out big Brad was just being a big BUTT- I only have to do 4 sets of 20. Everything at PT went well today except I bent too low when I was sliding down on the total gym and saw stars- when I tried to climb off it I lost my footing and almost ate it big time. This set off a chain over the next hour of one of the PTs tripping on a stretchy band and another patient falling off the wobble-board!

I am doing OK by myself, the trips up and down the stairs are the worst because I was avoiding them as much as possible (Grr dirty laundry upstairs and washer/dryer in basement!) Alan bought a bunch of stuff to grill this week so at least I don't have to stand in front of the stove just yet! The pupster is being well behaved. Really everything's going ok, I'm still just really TIRED! All I did today besides PT was 4 hours of work from the couch and I am completely exhausted. Just wanted to check in with you geekers before I have a nap.
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 03:56:47 AM »
That sounds a lot more reasonable. 1,000 a day and that poor knee would be worn out!

Sounds like your body wants to rest...best thing you can do for healing is plenty of sleep. Keep those naps coming!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
Kris how are things going with you? I hope your starting to feel a bit better..
How is big bad Brad treating you here's hoping he is over being a butt and is ready to start helping you ::)
as for the hair cut anytime you want to pay my airfair over I am ready willing and able scissors at the ready, I could fly out to Detoit [never been there] then hop on a plane up to Kay in Vancouver and sort out her locks while I'm on the other side of the Atlantic.
well I can dream :P
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 04:55:15 AM »
Hey Kris...hope all is going well and that the pool is helping you. I have now started referring to my terminal knee extensions as "stretchy-band thingers" as I think that is a much better name for them. :D I have also discovered that they're much more tolerable when you tie the stretchy band to a balcony railing rather than a table leg, and do them outdoors in the sunshine. :)

Tez - perhaps you could do a haircutting circuit of all the various US and Canadian Knee Geeks. :)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »
Hi all! Back at work and sort of excited to be doing something other than stretchy-band thingers! I haven't tried them outside yet but was relieved when Big Brad Butthead told me to put a towel between the stretchy-band and the back of my knee. They hurt so much less now! I have to admit I've been a bit lazy on all of that stuff over the weekend... spent Sunday at my in-laws and was not about to bust out the SLRs in front of the barbecue grill!

Big Brad was nice on Friday but I get to see his (maybe not) smiling face this afternoon. I will probably be all stiff and swollen from a day's work so I hope he takes it easy on me (doubtful!) I spent a bit of time on Fri. and Sat. pool-walking at the gym, so I was feeling pretty bendy and loose, but turns out it doesn't stay that way 2 or 3 days later. At least I've found a bit of rehab that allows me to get some sun too.

I know Tez is off now on vacay but I hope you are doing well snowy!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »
Hey Kris - good that you are getting to give the grey cells a work out as well as the pinky ones. .... and hope your knee is withstanding the sitting (if that makes sense). What do you do?

Big Brad - Nice? What was the matter with him? Perhaps he just had wind and it was a gripey grimace not a real smile.

Oh I really ought to listen to you guys and make an effort to find (and go to) a pool!! It's sounds like you are really benefitting from the water.
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »
Back at work already - you brave woman! Hope it went well and the all-day sitting wasn't too much of a problem. Remember, SLRs in the office are quite socially acceptable among KGs. ;)

I'm doing okay - knees are taking a bit of a back seat to our kitty crisis at the moment. There's a long update on Cosmic's thread (which we seem to have turned into a running blog for the whole gang of us!) but she's doing a little better this morning. We hope she can come home tonight.

The pool is such an awesome rehab tool - I just hope it will work as well for me post-surgery! Cosmic, you really should give it a try; you could always just stick with the walking rather than swimming. :)

Good luck with Big Brad this afternoon! Let's hope he's having another smiley day.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
Hey Snowy I am thinking of poor Mara today! What a cutie, I stalked the pic on facebook.  ;)

So by the end of it, yesterday turned out to be very tough. By about 11:00 am the old knee started to get mad. I was icing and doing whatever I could think of, but by the time I left the office at 1 pm I was dragging my leg behind me. The drive home was terrible, I was in so much pain and it's about a 30 min. commute.

I was almost in tears when I got to PT... so of course big Brad had it scheduled that we were going to ramp things up! Fortunately, for the most part once I got warmed up from the treadmill, recumbent cross-trainer and bike I was feeling a lot better. I did say no to stretchy-band thingers and promised to do them at home instead because I was worried they would make me cry (and turns out they did!) I have also graduated to SLRs with ankle weights, which I thought would be horrible, but not really so much! I know I have to get this quad built back up because it's totally pitiful, and there are no more muscles around my knee either. Just a big doughy mess!

All of the hands-on mobilizations in big brad's arsenal were also particularly painful. He recommended I try going back to wrapping the knee when I am out and about which I did today... so far seems to be helping but I did take a painkiller once I completed my drive in this morning.
 We are in the midst of a patch of severe thunderstorms and I don't think that is helping things either. I wasn't sure I could stand up when I tried to get out of bed this morning... almost had to roll on the floor! Then of course I went downstairs to be greeted by a DOG PEE! grr

I gotta say that I never thought I would be walking in a pool like someone's grandmother, but it's been great. It feels awesome too, like an extra little ice treatment! I definitely don't think I am ready to swim (kicking? no thank you) so I will keep this up for now. The pt staff was all happy about it too (I will keep that "good patient" card in my back pocket for when I have another crap day.)

Cosmic- I work in media research. In a nutshell, I dink around/read on the internet all day long. Also I agree that big brad butt is probably just gassy when he is smiley- like a baby!

Hope your knees and overall health are doing great today- and your animals! For now I'm off to go read the "blogs" at cosmic's  ;D
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:09 AM »
Pleased to report that little Mara had a better day today. She found a sunbeam out on the deck that made her very happy, and spent some time snuggled up on the couch with J. Unfortunately it's almost time for us to check her blood glucose again, which means cutting her little ear to get a drop of blood - it makes me feel like the biggest bully in the world.

Sorry to hear that yesterday was a bad day. It still seems pretty early to be making the trek into the office; is there any way you can work from home? I did that for about 2.5 weeks right after my injury and it was a godsend. Mentally I was quite capable of working (and in some ways, quite grateful for the distraction) but there was no way I could have gotten myself downtown. Would they be willing to make allowances while you're still healing?

You could always try swimming with a float between your legs to keep them still - but then again the grandmother walking is probably better for the leg muscles. Maybe you should get into aquarobics as things improve. They have a super-popular class at our giant pool every Wednesday,  and I the underwater view I get as I pass by the 50-odd sets of legs running on the spot is highly entertaining.  ;D It does look like it would be awfully good knee rehab, though probably not for the early stages.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »
so happy to hear that Mara's spirits are up. I could use a little sunbeam chasing myself! How much longer do you need to continue the ear-sticking? I hope not permanently? I feel mean just giving my dog her daily doses of allergy pills.

I've been doing a little better now that I am getting back into the swing of things at work- and I've been keeping the knee wrapped up for support, which helps a lot. I still have a lot of pain by the end of the day and getting up in the mornings is especially difficult. (And not taking any pain meds except ibuprofen til I sit down at my desk! That's hard! But the vicodin will be done by the end of the week again so I'll really have to wean myself this time!) I have worked from home a lot since my knee injury, so I do have the ability to do so. Unfortunately I've had lots of people scheduling meetings with me since I've been back- I've got a couple of major new projects creeping up on me. Also 2 of my coworkers' resignations are effective at the end of the week so there's been a lot of shuffling, who's doing what, etc. madness. At least I've got vacation coming in another week and a half (gosh I'm so greedy!) At first I felt guilty about it, but at least this way they know that after this, they'll have me glued to my desk til Thanksgiving. (Ugh that's a terrible thought isn't it!)

The float idea is an interesting one. Not sure if I am coordinated enough though. I think I'd really like to do water aerobics in the future if the classes work with my schedule. I'm entertaining the idea of hitting the gym straight from PT and just making Mon, Wed and Fri "fitness days" so I can get rid of this lovely spare tire I'm carrying around (THANKS KNEE!) but I am still a little bit scared. Hoping I can talk myself into it for Monday- that will be 3 wks past so I really should probably be ok?

I spoke too soon on Monday about the SLRs w. ankle weights. Sure they weren't so hard then- on day 2, doing them with already sore muscles? Kind of difficult.

Already dreading pt for the day... I think the fact that I've already been in for so long- gosh now on and off since February... the novelty has worn off for sure!

Hope you have a great day- hugs to the kitty.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »
just went to the OS and the verdict is in- I am doing pretty well!

I think Dr. and big Brad are in cahoots, though. My patellar mobility is still bad, so I have to start doing the poke/wiggle Big Brad Patented Torture at home as well! Not sure how I am going to inflict such pain on myself, I might just teach Alan how to do it instead.

According to my OS, that issue is what's causing the swelling and pain I still have, because the fluid's collecting when it can't get around the kneecap. Once I can get that under control there should be nothing else holding me up. I'm past the point where I can hurt myself from twisting, so I have free reign to do whatever I feel like... which I guess means I better get my fat butt back to the gym. Oh, also I of course got another lecture about sunscreen on my incisions... that's what I get for showing up with this pool-walking tan!

It turned out that my dissolving stitches were the trick kind and didn't do their dissolvy job, so I had those ripped out today also. FUN! But now I don't have to go back for 2 months and I can cancel that appt if I feel I am doing well.

I wish that my overall healing wasn't hinging on self-mutilation- grr. The best part of my appointment was listening to this crazy lady on a cell phone talking about her, um, incarcerated sister who called her looking for bail $ and had her 2-year-old dropped at crazy lady's house for incarcerated babysitting. Some people don't realize that they are in public. The faces of my elderly fellow patients were priceless.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
Hey Kris ggod news that your os thinks that you are doing well, but you have to explain the poke wiggle torture to me it sounds pretty interesting, has evil Brad tried smilling again or was that one time enough for him ;)
Did they say why the dissolving stitched didnt dissolve or is that something that can happen to anyone and did it hurt getting them out????
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
hey tez, welcome back! are you working this week or just relaxing? won't be long for you now!

The poke-wiggle torture involves poking at my incisions and around the kneecap and wiggling the kneecap up and down and side to side. I hate it more than anything, so I am just THRILLED I get extra doses of it now!

I have no idea why my stitches didn't dissolve... I swear I'm not an alien or anything. He didn't seem too shocked by it, so I guess it just happens sometimes. I will say that having them removed hurt a little- maybe more than regular stitch removal since those are actually supposed to come out. Fortunately I had knee-wiggle torture on deck to distract me!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
Ah ha the poke wiggle thing dosen sound quite as interesting once you explain what it involves ;D but must be pretty painfull is that to stop scar tissue forming?
I am back to work on Friday so 2 days this week then the next 2 weeks at work and then the drilling and cutting will comence
I didnt think for a moment that your an alien a little strange sometime ::) but deffo not an alien ;D ;D
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
apparently the technical name is "patellar mobility massage"- but since when do I use clinical terms for ANYTHING?

brad will be back to his scowly ways today for sure. He cracked a smile on Mon. when he was trying to touch my toe to the back of his head, so if he can cause me some more agony i'm sure it will make his day.

well enjoy your last couple of days off... they never last long enough that's for sure. And might I add... takes a weirdo to know a weirdo!  ;)
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

support