Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10  (Read 6110 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
Re: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 04:30:11 AM »
I looked up plica and it's fetal tissue! You're not supposed to still have it! My mom is being gross asking if it had teeth and hair. As far as I can tell it is gone now! My therapist sucks at telling me technical things so I am still looking forward to seeing a real report- I have to stop calling the chrondroplasty "kneecap grinding" too haha! Can you tell I didn't attend med school!

Tez i am supposed to try to go to work at least for a half day on Tuesday. Not sure how it will go since I haven't sat up for longer than 30 minutes yet. That schedule was also based on just getting a scope. We shall see what the athletic trainer at my OS has to say on Monday... honestly I would also like some more vicodins.

I know what you mean about saying "eff it" to prehab and I had plenty of lazy days. There was a lady at PT today who's going in for a MUA next week, she seems to have wrist problems. She was flipping out and said she didn't want to do any more exercises, but her therapist stressed how important it is to keep everything stretchy and loose. No matter how we talk ourselves out of it, this stuff does matter. Of course I still resolve the right to complain about my home PT and how pointless it is! Dinner party planning is likely far more conducive to your knee-health at this time though, that's my expert opinion  ;) Whatcha having, can I come?

Having my mom here is so nice... it's going to be so lame to have to do stuff for myself! I turn around and suddenly there are wrapped ice-packs and a mug of coffee made just right! Sadly I doubt she wants to live on my futon forever.

Snowy sorry you are not feeling well- maybe chicken soup is in order before you go for the anti-inflammatory diet? We've got lots here my mom made- the good stuff with rice- come on over! Who started the chain of illness- you, kitty or computer? Get well soon and I'm glad the knee is behaving at least!

12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 06:34:29 AM »
I wonder if there's any way to tell in advance whether you have a plica, or if they only find out once they're inside the knee? I'm also curious as to what percentage of people have them - they seem to be pretty common among the folk here, but then again I guess the statistics will inevitably be skewed on a board about knee injuries. ;)

That seems awfully soon to be going back to work. Is there any way they can give you some more time off? Aside from the fact that it's going to be hard to focus if you're still in lots of pain, your knee needs your attention right now! Of course you could always do what I do and just plunk down on your office floor periodically to do your knee extensions. I got some strange looks to begin with, but I think everyone's used to it now. ;)

I would love to come over for chicken soup - that sounds heavenly! I took it very easy today and am feeling better tonight than I have the last couple of days, just a bit sniffly. I've got the computer figured out and just need to run the fixes to get it back in working order. Poor kitty, however, is not doing so well. She's had epic diarrhea for two days (and unfortunately, hasn't always made it to the litterbox) and now has a very weepy eye as well. She's diabetic, so she tends to be more fragile than our other cat and it doesn't take much to throw her poor little system out of whack. Still, she's doing pretty good for her age - she and her sister turn 20 in about 3 weeks.

Knee has been a dream today - not a twinge out of it! This must be how it feels to be normal. ;) I think it's because I went for a swim in the morning today; I've noticed it always feels great after swimming. Normally I go after work, which often makes it feel better at the end of a cranky day. Today I got a whole good day out of it, although we'll see how it does after my evening exercises...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »
Hi Kris sounds like you are doing pretty good, Yikes you are far braver than I am climbing up onto a chair I think we would have had to stuff our ears with toilet paper and wait for someone else to shut it off.  I agree that bone pain is definatley different than anything else I have had,  I hope your sleeping issues have inproved your body does alot of healing when you are sleeping.  Maybe try a gravol I know that helped with my upset stomach and it made me a little sleepy to.
I have heard of a CPM but I dont know what it does ??
Wow you are going back to work fast hopefully they will change that for you after they realize what all you had done.  Well take care and try to get lots of rest I know I have learned that the hard way.  Its great hearing others stories makes you feel not so  alone
Love to ride!!!

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:41 AM »
hi all. I am happy to see you thinking of me, but I have nothing good to report. it's been a terrible day trying to stretch the meds. I cried a lot and mostly slept. The pain is bad and my knee looks a bit swollen. My mom got me to drink a beer before I did the stretches, it helped a bit but I only got one session in instead of 3 and after I wanted to be sick and cried again. What a baby. Not sure if I'll be able to go back to work as scheduled at this rate but we'll see what the dr's office has to say for me on Monday, of course I dont even see my OS, just the office trainer.

Snowy glad you are on the road to wellness but tell kitty to get it together! The dog has been getting fed lots of scraps with my mom being here and today she had a bit of a loose butt- you can bet I'm not cleaning dog diarrhea thanks!

Anyone else already bored to death of world cup?

I will check in again when I am in a better mood. Sorry to be a downer. This has been the worst day yet, I guess those pain pills have been doing quite a bit for me! I think the amount I was prescribed was for a) lesser procedures and b) the expectation of me sleeping through the night, which I haven't done yet. You'd think they'd give extra just to be sure.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »
That's too bad - I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It does sound like you're not ready to be stretching the meds just yet - you've been through some pretty extensive procedures (more so than originally planned) and it sounds like you're in more pain than they were anticipating. It may be worth giving the doc's office a call and seeing if they can give you a few extra pills just to see you through to Monday.

Take care, and we'll all carry on thinking of you - even more so now we know it's been a bad day.

K xx

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
Hi Kris

Sorry you've had a bad day - but you have had quite a lot done. A chondro on the patella alone can be extremely painful so combine in the plica removal and synovectomy and stuff and it will be painful. You definitely need decent pain meds to stay on top of the pain, hopefully they'll sort those out. Remember its only minimally invasive surgery with two access holes - its still invasive inside so don't beat yourself up about feeling a bit down and having a bit of a cry. I'd be doing the same! Blimey when my foot gets broken I'll be hugging the duvet/cat/pain med bottle etc...and when i finally pluck up courage for any knee work - watch out world and choc supplies.  :P

I think you could do with longer off work, they tend to say 2-3 weeks here for a scope with work, a simple wash out tends to be a week but you've had more done than that and you need to make sure you don't do too much too soon. have you been able to get some bend going in it? Remember to keep it elevated as much as you can too, and some ice if it is looking a bit swollen.

The first week is always the worst!

Hugs

Lottie xxx

PS - Yes, I'm fed up with World Cup already too. England really didn't inspire much confidence last night either, but we never do when the pressure is on. Our brains exit via our shoes!!
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
Kris honey poor you with all that pain is there no way you could get another prescription asap cos being in pain sucks big time,
as for going back to work next week, ARE YOU MAD or as wee say in Scotland your aff yer heed even thinking about it as soon as this. My friend had a synovectomy a few weeks ago and she is still off work and has just been given another 2 week sick line, and you've had way more work done than she had.
i hope the pain improves soon and please take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »
Kris - hugs from Cosmic, hope you have a decent night and a better day tomorrow xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »
Hi all- I am hanging in. Only did my exercises once today because the pain is really bad... and cried during them... but I am trying to be a trooper. I am saving my last 2 pills for therapy tomorrow morning and I am going to make a real show at the OS' office if I have to to get more drugs.

Not sure how I am supposed to go back to work either- all the OS told my mom was that I could do as much as I felt I could and I was on no real restrictions except to not twist the knee. I feel like the dr's office is going to tell me I have the all clear in terms of safety but of course pain is another story. Standing or walking for more than a couple of minutes is still incredibly painful. Plus not sure how to keep it as elevated at work, my old knee-chair is not going to cut it!

Lottie I am bending it as much as I can- the worst exercise I am doing is the one where I lay on my stomach, link my ankles and bend it toward my butt with the other leg. It feels like it doesn't want to go and it makes the medial incision hurt. Bending in normal day-to-day activity is not as tough. I am icing and elevating as much as I can- hello we're talking about the icepack crackhead here... ;) Glad to hear it will get better soon! I feel like a real loser falling apart at the tail end of this first week but I guess I didnt know how good those drugs were!

Thanks for all your happy thoughts and hope you're all avoiding world cup as much as possible :) Another night of girly shows on my couch-bed here! Too bad I have to be up at 7 to get to my dang appointments... grrr

Will check in again tomorrow hopefully with a new scrip!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 05:57:42 AM »
Oh, poor Kris. :( That really sounds awful. I'm impressed you're trying to do your exercises at all under the circumstances.

Safety is one thing, but clearly if you're in this much pain you shouldn't be going back to work. It really does sound as though the original recommendations were based on a much smaller amount of surgery, and they should be revising them in light of the extra procedures and the difficulties you've had so far.

I know just what you mean about being an icepack crackhead - after my ACL tear I was icing every hour on the hour to try and reduce the massive swelling from the joint effusion. Everyone at work got used to me hobbling around with one knee wrapped in a big blue pack. :) It helps, but it sounds like the pain from swelling and the bone pain are two very different beasts.

Far from avoiding it, I've been seeking out the World Cup wherever possible. :P Had a very fun morning today watching the Germany-Australia match with friends, including a German who started ordering Jaeger shots for the German goals - starting at about 11.45am! Had to go for a long walk to sober up afterwards. I'd planned to stop drinking after today to give myself a good alcohol-free stint before surgery, but then got home to find a call from a market research company asking if I wanted to go to a wine-tasting focus group tomorrow night! They're going to pay me $125 to spend an hour and a half sampling wine and paired appetizers - so needless to say I have postponed climbing on the wagon until Tuesday.  ;D

I do hope all goes well for you tomorrow - will be crossing my fingers that the appointment goes well and you get some support for the pain and challenges you've been going through this week. You are NOT a loser - you've just been through some pretty harsh surgical procedures, and I think under the circumstances you're doing incredibly well. A lot of people wouldn't even be attempting exercises or therapy with the pain levels you're enduring. Don't be afraid to make it clear to the OS just how tough things have been.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
OMG you have all the luck! Wine market research! Where do I sign up? I'm sure grapes are also an important part of an anti-inflammatory diet!  ;) I could also probably get into the "football" action if I were watching at a pub- I wish I knew someone without a day job who could accompany a recovering cripple for a day-drunk... an excuse to drink cider in the morning!  :)

The good news is I am at home resting (un)comfortably today. The nurse/trainer at the OS abided my wish for 40 more vicodins and gave me a work note for this week. She said the return to normal activity for a batch of procedures like this is between 1-3 weeks so I am perfectly normal! She also showed me the pics from the scope, how gross! Hoping that I will get a copy at my next visit at the end of the month so I can show and tell!

I worked for about 4 hours this morning from the couch and I am starting to feel all sleepy and gross again so that might be it for today. Icing as we speak so I can attempt to do some of those awful stretches! When they took the surgical tapes off yesterday I had minimal bruising at the incisions, but today it looks way more bruised and I bet that's why it hurts so much more than it did when I went to bed! Seems kind of late in the game for this, if anyone can explain this I will appreciate it. I was shocked to see that I had NO stitches whatsoever. I will probably barely have scars... so I can still be a leg model after all!  ;)

PT was a mixed bag. Flexion is at 110 deg. and I can get full extension, but not reliably. That was good enough for the OS nurse, but big Brad thinks I am hampering my recovery with the lack of extension. My quad's not really engaging when I walk so he wants me to do the stretchy-band tied to the table leg pull-back thing (haha that probably makes no sense) 1000 times a day. I wanted to tell him to go eff himself, this was at the very end of my session and I was already tired and sore... I just stuffed the band in my purse and hobbled off in a huff. He really was sort of mean about it. I was also told at OS that the patellar mobility is only so-so from side to side so big Brad had to do lots of poking and wiggling it around. He's really not my favorite person at this time.

Mom and Dad took off for their 12-hour drive home this morning. Alan is going to skip his workout after work so I've only got about 6 hours by myself left. I got very spoiled last week. My first trip outside with my 66-lb. pit bull was scary, but I think she knows I am not 100% so she was well behaved. In the past she has had a tendency to pull and yank me with the leash, but the harness collar is a godsend!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:09 PM »
Hi Kris Aint Snowy lucky wine tasting that you get paid for some folk get all the luck ::)
How you doing now that your parents have gone home, its important take care of yourself!! now there is no one doing it for you untill  Allan gets back from work,
just remember no chair climbing and pleanty of ice, as for the torcher of the evil Brad dont let him bully you but he is prolly just trying to encourage you but he's  just finding it hard to be kind about it, the band excersises is one I do a lot of maybe not 1000 a day but a fair few, but good luck with trying to fit all that into your day.
Excellent news that your leg modeling days can continue ;) the scars from my scope are hardley noticable at all so if I was  10 years yonger [more like 30 :(] I could join you on the leg model trail.
I hope the pain gets better and you dont feel too lonely now your parents have gone home.
Take care Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:13 PM »
Tez I have been icing the bejesus out of this sucker and watching lots of bad tv. Did some of the stretchy-band thingers and I suspect there is no humanly possible way to do 1000 of them, even if I were feeling super. I intend to tell big Brad this tomorrow!

My biggest problem now, besides pain, is boredom for sure. At least I get to go see the PT folks at the ungodly hour of 8:30 am... that darned biodex machine will keep me company.

tez are you on a haircutting spree now that it's getting close to vacation time? edward scissorhands two-handed stuff?
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
Kris I hope p,t went ok today and the evil Brad was kinder to you today!!! just tell him if he gives you a hard time I will hop on a plane and sort him out ;)
Edward scissor hands has nothing on me you should see the hair flying :D busy at work is how I like it, I have some of the nicest clients known to man they are amazing  :) well most of them lol.
Take care hope your pain is improving and your feeling better
Tez   
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »
How are you doing? Sorry to hear about the torturous PT - I know they have to do stuff that's going to feel horrible sometimes, but there's no reason not to be nice while they do it! Are the stretchy-band thingers the ones where you stick the band on a table leg and then bend the knee a little before pushing back against the band to full extensions? I do 100 of those a day and that's quite enough.

How are things going now your mom and dad have gone home? Hope it's not too much of a drag having to do more around the house. Take care while walking that dog...I had a moment on the stairs last week with our neighbour's very sweet and enthusiastic Doberman. She came bouncing up to say hello and crashed straight into the bad knee. It made me appreciate our teeny tiny little kitties!

Hope all is going well for you today and the vicodin is keeping the knee pain monster at bay.