Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10  (Read 6108 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:48 AM »
Here I am alive to tell the tale. I have worked on this in spurts due to having some dizziness so I hope it is coherent

Since my journalism professors always told me not to bury the lede I will tell what I had done first, then go back to a timeline. My paperwork said I was scheduled for an arthroscope with synovectomy (the drilling.) I had that, plus some filing/smoothing of the top of the patella where I had some bone on bone and it was all pointy/spiky/jaggedy. The third procedure I don’t know- for reasons explained later- but it’s something medial. OS says all in all surgery was very successful and should solve everything!!!! I didn’t get crutches and I am getting around ok- very slowly- I am not supposed to fully bend the knee till the dressings come off and any turning or twisting is a no-no.

Sunday night, my parents made the normally 13-hour drive from Atlanta to Detroit in 11 hrs. We went out for beer (them), many many diet cokes (me) and pizza, then I stayed up drinking bottles of water and snacking on popcorn, cheese, whatever random stuff I thought might be fatty and keep me full. Had my last drink and nibble at 11:57 pm. Of course after all that liquid I was up a lot peeing all night and scared every pee would be my last given the 1 pm prego test situation.

I woke up at 9 am despite best efforts to sleep in.  I was already thirsty and starving because my normal work schedule has me with coffee at 5 and breakfast at my desk by 6. The family tried to be considerate sneaking breakfast bars and coffee in the kitchen, but Alan opened a can of Pepsi so loudly it sounded like a bomb. I wanted to tackle him for it. We sat, bored, staring at each other til we left at 12:30 for surgery center.
Check in was fast- 5 min. of registration paperwork, then back out to waiting area for 10 minutes before I was mercifully brought in for my urine test. (I had been holding it for almost 2 hours to ensure I could do it, and as we know girls with bad knees can’t do the pee-pee dance.) Then I answered the same 5 questions again (name spelling, which knee, address, etc.) and my OS came by to initial my knee. Changed into sexy gown at this time (got to wear my own undies, no paper for this girl... wish i wouldn't have worn a thong though)

The nurse checked my vitals and my blood pressure was ridiculous- 160 over something- so I had to sit silently with my eyes closed for 30 min. or so to get it down. It ended up being high the entire day but they seem to expect that in a preop situation. Truth be told, my mom and her yappy yappy yap kept making it go back up when my family came in so the nurse turned the monitor off, haha

At about 1:45 my family was then brought back to my holding area to sit with me and we waited… waited… waited… the nurse went to check on what was up and said my OS was still working on a “complex” procedure: “There are a lot of people in there,” she says. Uh oh. Then she checks the schedule and I wasn’t even meant to go into surgery until 3:15 in the first place! No one ever told me this before. We are all deflated at this point. My mom got a crossword from the nurse’s station and had to finally go out for a cig. This screws with my dad’s flight out so Alan and my dad decided to leave early for the airport so he could be back when I got out of surgery.

Finally I see the anesthesiologist, he offers general or spinal. I chose general and I must say here that I LOVED it! Nice warm flush feeling and I woke up feeling extremely refreshed.  I have been a bit queasy on and off but didn’t get sick or anything.

The last thing I remember was talking to the surgical nurses… something about us being 3 hot chicks… yes, I was already on my way under. Woke up to a different nurse telling me I was hysterical hyena-drunk girl laughing about something when I came to. I asked if I had called my hot surgeon a hottie to his face while I was druggy, and she said no… also that there are even hotter docs who come through that place, at which point I may have asked for an employment application  ;)  She then offered me crackers, a vicodin and a diet coke. I might have told her I loved her for that. Alan showed up right after, but my OS had already discussed the procedures with my mom (which she got 66% of), so he got the job of getting me back into my clothes and into my wheelchair, and off we went!

When I got home I expected to eat everything in sight but I don’t have much of an appetite yet. Ate half a chicken sandwich, half a side salad and the most important part was the strawberry shake! I have been drinking a lot of lemon lime soda and water though.

The pain is definitely totally different than what I’ve had… because it’s bone pain… but I’m setting alarms to stay on a medicine schedule. Ice packs aren’t doing much because my dressing is so thick, but my OS said I didn’t need to worry too much about ice yet, as long as I keep it elevated. So I am on the couch with every spare pillow in my house. Not super comfy, but  I am managing.

Nurse mom went to bed for the night but we are using our cellphones as walkie talkies if I need anything lol! Alan goes back to work tomorrow (well today as it’s now past midnight) so he’s off duty for now. I am really surprised I’m not more tired, and I was hoping for lots of sleep… but now I am just 15 minutes from my next dose of meds.

Hope this novel is enough for you for now! Also I hope it makes some kind of sense  ???
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »
Amazingly coherent, all things considered - I almost feel like I was there with you!

So glad to hear all went smoothly! I can't imagine going that long without eating or drinking (although I guess I'll find out soon enough what it's like). Was the third procedure a medial meniscus repair? Either way it sounds like your OS is optimistic, which is awesome.

I confess I'm delighted to hear that there might be a choice of anesthetic - I'm petrified by the idea of a general and am really hoping that spinal will be an option for me.

How does the bone pain differ from regular pain? Like you I've never been through anything like this before, so I'm curious.

Glad you're being well taken care of, and hope the night goes smoothly. Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow!

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:52 AM »
Hey Kris as Snowy said very coherent for someone whos just had surgery,, :) so glad its all over for you and now the healing begins.
It sounds like you will be well taken care of by your lovely Mum make the most of it and enjoy cos before you know it you'll be back on your feet fending for yourself.
A friend of mine a had a synovectomy a few weeks ago I think thats all she had but she is doing great.
I have to get ready for work but will check in later to see how your doing 2 weeks today till my holybags yipeeeee then a few weeks later i too will be starting a post op thread oh happy days ;D
Take care and feel better Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
Hi gals! As mentioned on fb I have sooo much pain today. I think I may have had a local at the site yesterday along with the GA. Considering how terribly bruised my IV spot is, I am even more glad I didn't opt for the spinal. I think it's a viable option for non-wusses, though, Snowy- and the anesthesiologist said they do put you to sleep so you don't remember anything- they just don't have to put a tube in. I have had terrible hiccups all day which we suspect may be from the tube. Basically every time I get up they come back! An excuse to stay seated I guess.

I think the 3rd procedure may have been a meniscus repair- that spot hurts the worst. Can't get a look at it yet since the dressings don't come off til tomorrow. I am hoping/assuming that my PT's office will be able to tell me what it is since they share a computer system with my OS' office. The "bone pain" is a deep achy throb- which I described before with my symptoms that got me here- but it's heavier, somehow, and sometimes throbs like a heartbeat. It's worst when I am trying to rearrange myself on my pillows since I sometimes inadvertently bend the knee and that's a no-no.

I got yelled at a bit by the surgical nurse who called this afternoon... I told her ice was pointless with all these bandages on, and she said shut up and ice, it will help, they ice people with casts on. I think that's a crock of s**t but I don't want to be a bad patient.

I still have very little appetite, not that I am complaining... but still not sleeping much. All of the meds are supposed to cause fatigue but I haven't felt it. I took 2 pills at 12:30 hoping to make it 6 hours, but woke at 6 am feeling like I was being beat with a sledgehammer. I've been up ever since taking one pill every 4 hours on the dot. (Set my phone alarm to play "Here I Am, Come and Take Me", the UB40 version... I think I'm so clever). Since the meds aren't making me loony I may try to drink a beer today, if nothing else it may help me sleep better.

Will report back tomorrow after I venture out into the world, but I am very dull today. So I'm off to read about the rest of the adventures in geekland :)

good knee vibes to all!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
Sorry about the pain that not so good could you not get something else that may help a bit more I dont know if its possible to phone your doc and get him to prescribe you something stronger or not but think about it.
The fact that they have not given you crutches indicates that it might not me a meniscis repair but maybe a trim or shave or whatever they do with naughty meniscis because i may be wrong here but a meniscis repair usually means no weight bareing for a while, I could be wrong I often am but who knows.
After my scope I had a really sore throat from the tube but didnt experience hiccups just shows we all react differently
Even if you dont think the ice is helping it deffo not hurting so may be worth doing just in case.
I hope you get some relief from the pain and you get some sleep tonight take care and happy healling Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »
How completely bizarre about the hiccups! I had no idea that that was a possible side effect of the breathing tube. I also didn't realise that they put you to sleep for the spinal. I think there must be another option for the ACLr, as I know that some surgeons let you stay awake and watch the procedure on the camera. That would actually be my preference (my friends think I'm completely insane) but my surgeon hasn't mentioned it so I'm not sure I'll have that choice.

Hope you can find out tomorrow what the third procedure was - it must be a little unnerving not to know for sure!

Here's to beers before bed and less pain tomorrow. :)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
yes I always thought they let you watch on a screen too! They say your brain doesn't register that it's watching you or something. I wonder if there was something about my procedure that made it so I wouldn't have wanted to watch? I am supposed to see photos at some point. It's not so much unnerving not knowing, I think it's probably relatively common for patients to have absentminded getting the rundown? I should have had her take notes.

I am hoping to be hiccup-free for therapy or else I am going to drive those poor people absolutely bonkers. I doubt I can bring my mom's fancy rock sugar for tea with me and that's the only thing that makes them go away... also having to eat spoonfuls of rock sugar all day hasn't been nearly as fun as it sounds!

It's now 2:15 so I am up waiting for my next dose of meds. I suspect that a little kitchen incident we had at dinnertime is adding to my pain... My dear mom was making us a roast chicken with rice and gravy (my favorite!.) When she took the chicken out of the oven, she decided to try to make gravy in my stoneware roaster dish... oh don't ask me what possessed her... it exploded on the stovetop and set off all the smoke alarms as hot gravy poured into the stove burners. (Alan wasn't due home yet for another 30 minutes) So I had to gimp upstairs and climb up on my wobbly IKEA desk chair to disassemble the upstairs hallway alarm and I probably wasn't supposed to be moving that fast. I was told I was only allowed one trip upstairs on Monday so we weren't sure if I was supposed to be making too many trips up and down yet... based on how it felt, I'll go with probably not!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
I'm fully expecting to be in no condition to take the rundown in, so my plan is to have J on standby with my iPhone to record it on a voice memo. A typically geeky response to the problem ;D

I hope the PT went well today and that your hiccups are starting to come under control. Isn't that strange that rock sugar fixes them? It might be worth squeezing the little web of flesh between your thumb and forefinger, too - that's a pressure point that can be quite effective for stopping hiccups.

I'm amazed that you were able to climb on a chair and disassemble a smoke alarm so soon post-op! Perhaps not the kind of PT that's recommended but it has to be a good sign that you were able to do that. Hope the roast chicken and what was left of the gravy was worth it. :)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
Hiya Kris how did p.t go today did you find out what the surprise part of the surgery was?
Please no more chair climbing especialy wobbly chairs YOU'VE JUST HAD KNEE SURGERY
how are you enjoying having your Mum to help you, apart from nearly setting the house on fire  of course ;D
You and Snowy talking about watching your own surgery makes my blood run cold my idea is put me to sleep do what you will then wake me up once its all done I deffo dont want to watch :o
I hope the pain is a bit better today and your looking after yourself ,or your Mum is looking after you I should say .
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:59:24 AM »
Hi all, sorry to be tardy but PT about killed me this morning. I was not expecting to get my bandages ripped off and put into the little CPM chair thingy first thing... 4 seconds hold at flexion and extension each for 7 min. back and forth. No idea the degrees but I wanted to cry! Also just trying to get the knee straight felt like a grindy mess. Have to start doing SLR and such tomorrow. Today was just about ICE now that I had more skin contact... 45 min. at a time, supposed to get 6 times in tomorrow. I also managed a shower, still too scared to scrub hard so I may be slightly iodined for life!

My OS didn't sign off on my surg report yet, so it's not in the system yet. My PT said he saw the pics though. He is going to try to get everything for me to see on Friday... still a bit of a mystery on procedure no. 3.

Sorry this is prob my least coherent post yet, but the sleep issues are starting to really catch up and I have been taking a lot more meds today. Waiting for another dose again now. Glad to at least escape the PT demons tomorrow but not looking forward to all those nasty stretches. Just getting my heel flat on the ground is a triumph and makes me want to not walk around at all... it gets terribly sore at the top of my kneecap where I was sanded or whatever.

Hope you're all having good knee day/night. In positive news I haven't had any hiccups today and mom avoided fire. Tomorrow we may order out Chinese just to be safe though :)
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
Ow...that sounds truly torturous! Hope the pain meds helped you get through the rest of the day. Hopefully the ice will be more effective now the bandages are off. As the swelling goes down that "grindy mess" feeling will hopefully start to ease off a little.

At least it's clean iodine now.  ;D How are the wounds doing?

I hope you feel much better after a good night's sleep. Keep us posted on how you get on with the stretches and how things are feeling today.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:53:17 AM »
Hiya!
Thanks for the positive thinking Snowy, clean and sterile iodine is better than the unwashed kind right? I have almost all of it off now! My incisions look ok- appears to be just 2 stitches each in my 3 holes. The hole on the medial side is the sorest but it's not red or swollen. The tapes are still hanging on for dear life so I'm just treating them to fresh band-aids and wrapping the whole thing up any time I am standing for longer than a couple of minutes.

Did my stretchy stuff all 3 times today... ankle pumps, SLR, the lay-on-stomach, bend-knee-back with other leg, kill-me-now stretch, some quad flexing with little pillows underneath, you probably know the drill. Felt sick during and after each set, but I've also been taking enough medicine to choke a horse. Good excuse to take a nap or 12!

What else... oh I slipped a bit getting out of the shower and almost had a cardiac event, I might start wearing flip-flops for safety!

Got a call from PT this afternoon asking me to come in at 1pm instead of 8:30 am so I can get more one-on-one attention from the PT director. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it... faster recovery means added torture, doesn't it? At least I can sleep in.

I am still hiccup-free and today I finally finished the Anna Maxted I've been passing out in all week. Time to move from the chick-lit to memoirs means I am going to have to start engaging my brains so I guess this is phase 2 of rehab?

happy knee night to all, I will be back after PT tomorrow... off to check on the rest of you!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Just wanted to check in after PT... had to do CPM again except they call it the bio-something chair. My PT tried to poke at my kneecap but I made him stop because it was terrible... so he did some other hands-on things instead. Everything else was relatively pain-free except for the stationary bike, I was not ready for that yet.

They looked at my surgical report and it turns out I had a plica! Brad, my PT director, said my synovial fluid looked like it had "stalagtites" in it. So as far as I know, the 3 procedures were the patellar decompression, kneecap grinding down and the synovectomy. Should still get the full report on Monday.

I am walking much better today but still find that pain comes out of nowhere sometimes. This makes me nervous when I think about having to go back out into the world. We went to the grocery store after therapy and had to make a quick exit because my knee was starting to feel sticky and locky.

It's humid and on/off rainy here which is not ideal, hope you are all having good knee weather and have fun weekend plans! I am not planning anything crazy but my nurse/mom doesn't leave til Tuesday so we should be able to get some fun in! later gators.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »
Hi Kris how goes it with you lovely girl... ;D
Glad p.t wasen't too painfull today but sorry your still getting pain, I supose that will hapen for a while just make sure you take the pain meds before it  gets too bad or out of controll.
So did they do anything to the plica or does that not cause you any pain??
When you talk about going back into the world are you going back to work as fast as that, or do you mean just getting out and about generally?
I hope you are having a nice time with your Mum, it must be nice to spend some time with her and for her to look after you for a while, I am quite jelous :)
I should be in the kitchen preparing for a dinner party I am having tomorow night but to be honest I cant be bothered moving I am feeling very lazy tonight I should also be doing some prehab but cant be bothered with that either do you ever get times like that when everything just seems to be an effort :-\ :(   Oh well spose I need to move myself hope you have a good weekend and enjoy having your Mum with you take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »
Synovectomy? Ouch, no wonder you're in pain! That's quite a surprise to have sprung on you. Plicas are something I keep meaning to read more about.

Sorry to hear about the torturous PT but it sounds like you're doing pretty well in terms of the amount you're managing to cope with.

I'm at home nursing a cold, a malfunctioning computer and a sick cat at the moment, but thankfully my knees are behaving themselves today. We did go for a little drive down to the Granville Island Public Market and stocked up on fresh soups, veggies and deli meat for the next few days...time to start seriously working on this anti-inflammatory diet now that I have less than a month to go!

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 04:30:11 AM »
I looked up plica and it's fetal tissue! You're not supposed to still have it! My mom is being gross asking if it had teeth and hair. As far as I can tell it is gone now! My therapist sucks at telling me technical things so I am still looking forward to seeing a real report- I have to stop calling the chrondroplasty "kneecap grinding" too haha! Can you tell I didn't attend med school!

Tez i am supposed to try to go to work at least for a half day on Tuesday. Not sure how it will go since I haven't sat up for longer than 30 minutes yet. That schedule was also based on just getting a scope. We shall see what the athletic trainer at my OS has to say on Monday... honestly I would also like some more vicodins.

I know what you mean about saying "eff it" to prehab and I had plenty of lazy days. There was a lady at PT today who's going in for a MUA next week, she seems to have wrist problems. She was flipping out and said she didn't want to do any more exercises, but her therapist stressed how important it is to keep everything stretchy and loose. No matter how we talk ourselves out of it, this stuff does matter. Of course I still resolve the right to complain about my home PT and how pointless it is! Dinner party planning is likely far more conducive to your knee-health at this time though, that's my expert opinion  ;) Whatcha having, can I come?

Having my mom here is so nice... it's going to be so lame to have to do stuff for myself! I turn around and suddenly there are wrapped ice-packs and a mug of coffee made just right! Sadly I doubt she wants to live on my futon forever.

Snowy sorry you are not feeling well- maybe chicken soup is in order before you go for the anti-inflammatory diet? We've got lots here my mom made- the good stuff with rice- come on over! Who started the chain of illness- you, kitty or computer? Get well soon and I'm glad the knee is behaving at least!

4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 06:34:29 AM »
I wonder if there's any way to tell in advance whether you have a plica, or if they only find out once they're inside the knee? I'm also curious as to what percentage of people have them - they seem to be pretty common among the folk here, but then again I guess the statistics will inevitably be skewed on a board about knee injuries. ;)

That seems awfully soon to be going back to work. Is there any way they can give you some more time off? Aside from the fact that it's going to be hard to focus if you're still in lots of pain, your knee needs your attention right now! Of course you could always do what I do and just plunk down on your office floor periodically to do your knee extensions. I got some strange looks to begin with, but I think everyone's used to it now. ;)

I would love to come over for chicken soup - that sounds heavenly! I took it very easy today and am feeling better tonight than I have the last couple of days, just a bit sniffly. I've got the computer figured out and just need to run the fixes to get it back in working order. Poor kitty, however, is not doing so well. She's had epic diarrhea for two days (and unfortunately, hasn't always made it to the litterbox) and now has a very weepy eye as well. She's diabetic, so she tends to be more fragile than our other cat and it doesn't take much to throw her poor little system out of whack. Still, she's doing pretty good for her age - she and her sister turn 20 in about 3 weeks.

Knee has been a dream today - not a twinge out of it! This must be how it feels to be normal. ;) I think it's because I went for a swim in the morning today; I've noticed it always feels great after swimming. Normally I go after work, which often makes it feel better at the end of a cranky day. Today I got a whole good day out of it, although we'll see how it does after my evening exercises...

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »
Hi Kris sounds like you are doing pretty good, Yikes you are far braver than I am climbing up onto a chair I think we would have had to stuff our ears with toilet paper and wait for someone else to shut it off.  I agree that bone pain is definatley different than anything else I have had,  I hope your sleeping issues have inproved your body does alot of healing when you are sleeping.  Maybe try a gravol I know that helped with my upset stomach and it made me a little sleepy to.
I have heard of a CPM but I dont know what it does ??
Wow you are going back to work fast hopefully they will change that for you after they realize what all you had done.  Well take care and try to get lots of rest I know I have learned that the hard way.  Its great hearing others stories makes you feel not so  alone
Love to ride!!!

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:41 AM »
hi all. I am happy to see you thinking of me, but I have nothing good to report. it's been a terrible day trying to stretch the meds. I cried a lot and mostly slept. The pain is bad and my knee looks a bit swollen. My mom got me to drink a beer before I did the stretches, it helped a bit but I only got one session in instead of 3 and after I wanted to be sick and cried again. What a baby. Not sure if I'll be able to go back to work as scheduled at this rate but we'll see what the dr's office has to say for me on Monday, of course I dont even see my OS, just the office trainer.

Snowy glad you are on the road to wellness but tell kitty to get it together! The dog has been getting fed lots of scraps with my mom being here and today she had a bit of a loose butt- you can bet I'm not cleaning dog diarrhea thanks!

Anyone else already bored to death of world cup?

I will check in again when I am in a better mood. Sorry to be a downer. This has been the worst day yet, I guess those pain pills have been doing quite a bit for me! I think the amount I was prescribed was for a) lesser procedures and b) the expectation of me sleeping through the night, which I haven't done yet. You'd think they'd give extra just to be sure.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »
That's too bad - I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It does sound like you're not ready to be stretching the meds just yet - you've been through some pretty extensive procedures (more so than originally planned) and it sounds like you're in more pain than they were anticipating. It may be worth giving the doc's office a call and seeing if they can give you a few extra pills just to see you through to Monday.

Take care, and we'll all carry on thinking of you - even more so now we know it's been a bad day.

K xx

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
Hi Kris

Sorry you've had a bad day - but you have had quite a lot done. A chondro on the patella alone can be extremely painful so combine in the plica removal and synovectomy and stuff and it will be painful. You definitely need decent pain meds to stay on top of the pain, hopefully they'll sort those out. Remember its only minimally invasive surgery with two access holes - its still invasive inside so don't beat yourself up about feeling a bit down and having a bit of a cry. I'd be doing the same! Blimey when my foot gets broken I'll be hugging the duvet/cat/pain med bottle etc...and when i finally pluck up courage for any knee work - watch out world and choc supplies.  :P

I think you could do with longer off work, they tend to say 2-3 weeks here for a scope with work, a simple wash out tends to be a week but you've had more done than that and you need to make sure you don't do too much too soon. have you been able to get some bend going in it? Remember to keep it elevated as much as you can too, and some ice if it is looking a bit swollen.

The first week is always the worst!

Hugs

Lottie xxx

PS - Yes, I'm fed up with World Cup already too. England really didn't inspire much confidence last night either, but we never do when the pressure is on. Our brains exit via our shoes!!
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
Kris honey poor you with all that pain is there no way you could get another prescription asap cos being in pain sucks big time,
as for going back to work next week, ARE YOU MAD or as wee say in Scotland your aff yer heed even thinking about it as soon as this. My friend had a synovectomy a few weeks ago and she is still off work and has just been given another 2 week sick line, and you've had way more work done than she had.
i hope the pain improves soon and please take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »
Kris - hugs from Cosmic, hope you have a decent night and a better day tomorrow xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »
Hi all- I am hanging in. Only did my exercises once today because the pain is really bad... and cried during them... but I am trying to be a trooper. I am saving my last 2 pills for therapy tomorrow morning and I am going to make a real show at the OS' office if I have to to get more drugs.

Not sure how I am supposed to go back to work either- all the OS told my mom was that I could do as much as I felt I could and I was on no real restrictions except to not twist the knee. I feel like the dr's office is going to tell me I have the all clear in terms of safety but of course pain is another story. Standing or walking for more than a couple of minutes is still incredibly painful. Plus not sure how to keep it as elevated at work, my old knee-chair is not going to cut it!

Lottie I am bending it as much as I can- the worst exercise I am doing is the one where I lay on my stomach, link my ankles and bend it toward my butt with the other leg. It feels like it doesn't want to go and it makes the medial incision hurt. Bending in normal day-to-day activity is not as tough. I am icing and elevating as much as I can- hello we're talking about the icepack crackhead here... ;) Glad to hear it will get better soon! I feel like a real loser falling apart at the tail end of this first week but I guess I didnt know how good those drugs were!

Thanks for all your happy thoughts and hope you're all avoiding world cup as much as possible :) Another night of girly shows on my couch-bed here! Too bad I have to be up at 7 to get to my dang appointments... grrr

Will check in again tomorrow hopefully with a new scrip!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 05:57:42 AM »
Oh, poor Kris. :( That really sounds awful. I'm impressed you're trying to do your exercises at all under the circumstances.

Safety is one thing, but clearly if you're in this much pain you shouldn't be going back to work. It really does sound as though the original recommendations were based on a much smaller amount of surgery, and they should be revising them in light of the extra procedures and the difficulties you've had so far.

I know just what you mean about being an icepack crackhead - after my ACL tear I was icing every hour on the hour to try and reduce the massive swelling from the joint effusion. Everyone at work got used to me hobbling around with one knee wrapped in a big blue pack. :) It helps, but it sounds like the pain from swelling and the bone pain are two very different beasts.

Far from avoiding it, I've been seeking out the World Cup wherever possible. :P Had a very fun morning today watching the Germany-Australia match with friends, including a German who started ordering Jaeger shots for the German goals - starting at about 11.45am! Had to go for a long walk to sober up afterwards. I'd planned to stop drinking after today to give myself a good alcohol-free stint before surgery, but then got home to find a call from a market research company asking if I wanted to go to a wine-tasting focus group tomorrow night! They're going to pay me $125 to spend an hour and a half sampling wine and paired appetizers - so needless to say I have postponed climbing on the wagon until Tuesday.  ;D

I do hope all goes well for you tomorrow - will be crossing my fingers that the appointment goes well and you get some support for the pain and challenges you've been going through this week. You are NOT a loser - you've just been through some pretty harsh surgical procedures, and I think under the circumstances you're doing incredibly well. A lot of people wouldn't even be attempting exercises or therapy with the pain levels you're enduring. Don't be afraid to make it clear to the OS just how tough things have been.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
OMG you have all the luck! Wine market research! Where do I sign up? I'm sure grapes are also an important part of an anti-inflammatory diet!  ;) I could also probably get into the "football" action if I were watching at a pub- I wish I knew someone without a day job who could accompany a recovering cripple for a day-drunk... an excuse to drink cider in the morning!  :)

The good news is I am at home resting (un)comfortably today. The nurse/trainer at the OS abided my wish for 40 more vicodins and gave me a work note for this week. She said the return to normal activity for a batch of procedures like this is between 1-3 weeks so I am perfectly normal! She also showed me the pics from the scope, how gross! Hoping that I will get a copy at my next visit at the end of the month so I can show and tell!

I worked for about 4 hours this morning from the couch and I am starting to feel all sleepy and gross again so that might be it for today. Icing as we speak so I can attempt to do some of those awful stretches! When they took the surgical tapes off yesterday I had minimal bruising at the incisions, but today it looks way more bruised and I bet that's why it hurts so much more than it did when I went to bed! Seems kind of late in the game for this, if anyone can explain this I will appreciate it. I was shocked to see that I had NO stitches whatsoever. I will probably barely have scars... so I can still be a leg model after all!  ;)

PT was a mixed bag. Flexion is at 110 deg. and I can get full extension, but not reliably. That was good enough for the OS nurse, but big Brad thinks I am hampering my recovery with the lack of extension. My quad's not really engaging when I walk so he wants me to do the stretchy-band tied to the table leg pull-back thing (haha that probably makes no sense) 1000 times a day. I wanted to tell him to go eff himself, this was at the very end of my session and I was already tired and sore... I just stuffed the band in my purse and hobbled off in a huff. He really was sort of mean about it. I was also told at OS that the patellar mobility is only so-so from side to side so big Brad had to do lots of poking and wiggling it around. He's really not my favorite person at this time.

Mom and Dad took off for their 12-hour drive home this morning. Alan is going to skip his workout after work so I've only got about 6 hours by myself left. I got very spoiled last week. My first trip outside with my 66-lb. pit bull was scary, but I think she knows I am not 100% so she was well behaved. In the past she has had a tendency to pull and yank me with the leash, but the harness collar is a godsend!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:09 PM »
Hi Kris Aint Snowy lucky wine tasting that you get paid for some folk get all the luck ::)
How you doing now that your parents have gone home, its important take care of yourself!! now there is no one doing it for you untill  Allan gets back from work,
just remember no chair climbing and pleanty of ice, as for the torcher of the evil Brad dont let him bully you but he is prolly just trying to encourage you but he's  just finding it hard to be kind about it, the band excersises is one I do a lot of maybe not 1000 a day but a fair few, but good luck with trying to fit all that into your day.
Excellent news that your leg modeling days can continue ;) the scars from my scope are hardley noticable at all so if I was  10 years yonger [more like 30 :(] I could join you on the leg model trail.
I hope the pain gets better and you dont feel too lonely now your parents have gone home.
Take care Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:13 PM »
Tez I have been icing the bejesus out of this sucker and watching lots of bad tv. Did some of the stretchy-band thingers and I suspect there is no humanly possible way to do 1000 of them, even if I were feeling super. I intend to tell big Brad this tomorrow!

My biggest problem now, besides pain, is boredom for sure. At least I get to go see the PT folks at the ungodly hour of 8:30 am... that darned biodex machine will keep me company.

tez are you on a haircutting spree now that it's getting close to vacation time? edward scissorhands two-handed stuff?
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
Kris I hope p,t went ok today and the evil Brad was kinder to you today!!! just tell him if he gives you a hard time I will hop on a plane and sort him out ;)
Edward scissor hands has nothing on me you should see the hair flying :D busy at work is how I like it, I have some of the nicest clients known to man they are amazing  :) well most of them lol.
Take care hope your pain is improving and your feeling better
Tez   
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »
How are you doing? Sorry to hear about the torturous PT - I know they have to do stuff that's going to feel horrible sometimes, but there's no reason not to be nice while they do it! Are the stretchy-band thingers the ones where you stick the band on a table leg and then bend the knee a little before pushing back against the band to full extensions? I do 100 of those a day and that's quite enough.

How are things going now your mom and dad have gone home? Hope it's not too much of a drag having to do more around the house. Take care while walking that dog...I had a moment on the stairs last week with our neighbour's very sweet and enthusiastic Doberman. She came bouncing up to say hello and crashed straight into the bad knee. It made me appreciate our teeny tiny little kitties!

Hope all is going well for you today and the vicodin is keeping the knee pain monster at bay.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
tez I could use a good cut, how quickly can you be in Detroit?  :)

Snowy- those are the ones! Turns out big Brad was just being a big BUTT- I only have to do 4 sets of 20. Everything at PT went well today except I bent too low when I was sliding down on the total gym and saw stars- when I tried to climb off it I lost my footing and almost ate it big time. This set off a chain over the next hour of one of the PTs tripping on a stretchy band and another patient falling off the wobble-board!

I am doing OK by myself, the trips up and down the stairs are the worst because I was avoiding them as much as possible (Grr dirty laundry upstairs and washer/dryer in basement!) Alan bought a bunch of stuff to grill this week so at least I don't have to stand in front of the stove just yet! The pupster is being well behaved. Really everything's going ok, I'm still just really TIRED! All I did today besides PT was 4 hours of work from the couch and I am completely exhausted. Just wanted to check in with you geekers before I have a nap.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 03:56:47 AM »
That sounds a lot more reasonable. 1,000 a day and that poor knee would be worn out!

Sounds like your body wants to rest...best thing you can do for healing is plenty of sleep. Keep those naps coming!

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
Kris how are things going with you? I hope your starting to feel a bit better..
How is big bad Brad treating you here's hoping he is over being a butt and is ready to start helping you ::)
as for the hair cut anytime you want to pay my airfair over I am ready willing and able scissors at the ready, I could fly out to Detoit [never been there] then hop on a plane up to Kay in Vancouver and sort out her locks while I'm on the other side of the Atlantic.
well I can dream :P
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 04:55:15 AM »
Hey Kris...hope all is going well and that the pool is helping you. I have now started referring to my terminal knee extensions as "stretchy-band thingers" as I think that is a much better name for them. :D I have also discovered that they're much more tolerable when you tie the stretchy band to a balcony railing rather than a table leg, and do them outdoors in the sunshine. :)

Tez - perhaps you could do a haircutting circuit of all the various US and Canadian Knee Geeks. :)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »
Hi all! Back at work and sort of excited to be doing something other than stretchy-band thingers! I haven't tried them outside yet but was relieved when Big Brad Butthead told me to put a towel between the stretchy-band and the back of my knee. They hurt so much less now! I have to admit I've been a bit lazy on all of that stuff over the weekend... spent Sunday at my in-laws and was not about to bust out the SLRs in front of the barbecue grill!

Big Brad was nice on Friday but I get to see his (maybe not) smiling face this afternoon. I will probably be all stiff and swollen from a day's work so I hope he takes it easy on me (doubtful!) I spent a bit of time on Fri. and Sat. pool-walking at the gym, so I was feeling pretty bendy and loose, but turns out it doesn't stay that way 2 or 3 days later. At least I've found a bit of rehab that allows me to get some sun too.

I know Tez is off now on vacay but I hope you are doing well snowy!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »
Hey Kris - good that you are getting to give the grey cells a work out as well as the pinky ones. .... and hope your knee is withstanding the sitting (if that makes sense). What do you do?

Big Brad - Nice? What was the matter with him? Perhaps he just had wind and it was a gripey grimace not a real smile.

Oh I really ought to listen to you guys and make an effort to find (and go to) a pool!! It's sounds like you are really benefitting from the water.
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »
Back at work already - you brave woman! Hope it went well and the all-day sitting wasn't too much of a problem. Remember, SLRs in the office are quite socially acceptable among KGs. ;)

I'm doing okay - knees are taking a bit of a back seat to our kitty crisis at the moment. There's a long update on Cosmic's thread (which we seem to have turned into a running blog for the whole gang of us!) but she's doing a little better this morning. We hope she can come home tonight.

The pool is such an awesome rehab tool - I just hope it will work as well for me post-surgery! Cosmic, you really should give it a try; you could always just stick with the walking rather than swimming. :)

Good luck with Big Brad this afternoon! Let's hope he's having another smiley day.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
Hey Snowy I am thinking of poor Mara today! What a cutie, I stalked the pic on facebook.  ;)

So by the end of it, yesterday turned out to be very tough. By about 11:00 am the old knee started to get mad. I was icing and doing whatever I could think of, but by the time I left the office at 1 pm I was dragging my leg behind me. The drive home was terrible, I was in so much pain and it's about a 30 min. commute.

I was almost in tears when I got to PT... so of course big Brad had it scheduled that we were going to ramp things up! Fortunately, for the most part once I got warmed up from the treadmill, recumbent cross-trainer and bike I was feeling a lot better. I did say no to stretchy-band thingers and promised to do them at home instead because I was worried they would make me cry (and turns out they did!) I have also graduated to SLRs with ankle weights, which I thought would be horrible, but not really so much! I know I have to get this quad built back up because it's totally pitiful, and there are no more muscles around my knee either. Just a big doughy mess!

All of the hands-on mobilizations in big brad's arsenal were also particularly painful. He recommended I try going back to wrapping the knee when I am out and about which I did today... so far seems to be helping but I did take a painkiller once I completed my drive in this morning.
 We are in the midst of a patch of severe thunderstorms and I don't think that is helping things either. I wasn't sure I could stand up when I tried to get out of bed this morning... almost had to roll on the floor! Then of course I went downstairs to be greeted by a DOG PEE! grr

I gotta say that I never thought I would be walking in a pool like someone's grandmother, but it's been great. It feels awesome too, like an extra little ice treatment! I definitely don't think I am ready to swim (kicking? no thank you) so I will keep this up for now. The pt staff was all happy about it too (I will keep that "good patient" card in my back pocket for when I have another crap day.)

Cosmic- I work in media research. In a nutshell, I dink around/read on the internet all day long. Also I agree that big brad butt is probably just gassy when he is smiley- like a baby!

Hope your knees and overall health are doing great today- and your animals! For now I'm off to go read the "blogs" at cosmic's  ;D
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:09 AM »
Pleased to report that little Mara had a better day today. She found a sunbeam out on the deck that made her very happy, and spent some time snuggled up on the couch with J. Unfortunately it's almost time for us to check her blood glucose again, which means cutting her little ear to get a drop of blood - it makes me feel like the biggest bully in the world.

Sorry to hear that yesterday was a bad day. It still seems pretty early to be making the trek into the office; is there any way you can work from home? I did that for about 2.5 weeks right after my injury and it was a godsend. Mentally I was quite capable of working (and in some ways, quite grateful for the distraction) but there was no way I could have gotten myself downtown. Would they be willing to make allowances while you're still healing?

You could always try swimming with a float between your legs to keep them still - but then again the grandmother walking is probably better for the leg muscles. Maybe you should get into aquarobics as things improve. They have a super-popular class at our giant pool every Wednesday,  and I the underwater view I get as I pass by the 50-odd sets of legs running on the spot is highly entertaining.  ;D It does look like it would be awfully good knee rehab, though probably not for the early stages.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »
so happy to hear that Mara's spirits are up. I could use a little sunbeam chasing myself! How much longer do you need to continue the ear-sticking? I hope not permanently? I feel mean just giving my dog her daily doses of allergy pills.

I've been doing a little better now that I am getting back into the swing of things at work- and I've been keeping the knee wrapped up for support, which helps a lot. I still have a lot of pain by the end of the day and getting up in the mornings is especially difficult. (And not taking any pain meds except ibuprofen til I sit down at my desk! That's hard! But the vicodin will be done by the end of the week again so I'll really have to wean myself this time!) I have worked from home a lot since my knee injury, so I do have the ability to do so. Unfortunately I've had lots of people scheduling meetings with me since I've been back- I've got a couple of major new projects creeping up on me. Also 2 of my coworkers' resignations are effective at the end of the week so there's been a lot of shuffling, who's doing what, etc. madness. At least I've got vacation coming in another week and a half (gosh I'm so greedy!) At first I felt guilty about it, but at least this way they know that after this, they'll have me glued to my desk til Thanksgiving. (Ugh that's a terrible thought isn't it!)

The float idea is an interesting one. Not sure if I am coordinated enough though. I think I'd really like to do water aerobics in the future if the classes work with my schedule. I'm entertaining the idea of hitting the gym straight from PT and just making Mon, Wed and Fri "fitness days" so I can get rid of this lovely spare tire I'm carrying around (THANKS KNEE!) but I am still a little bit scared. Hoping I can talk myself into it for Monday- that will be 3 wks past so I really should probably be ok?

I spoke too soon on Monday about the SLRs w. ankle weights. Sure they weren't so hard then- on day 2, doing them with already sore muscles? Kind of difficult.

Already dreading pt for the day... I think the fact that I've already been in for so long- gosh now on and off since February... the novelty has worn off for sure!

Hope you have a great day- hugs to the kitty.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »
just went to the OS and the verdict is in- I am doing pretty well!

I think Dr. and big Brad are in cahoots, though. My patellar mobility is still bad, so I have to start doing the poke/wiggle Big Brad Patented Torture at home as well! Not sure how I am going to inflict such pain on myself, I might just teach Alan how to do it instead.

According to my OS, that issue is what's causing the swelling and pain I still have, because the fluid's collecting when it can't get around the kneecap. Once I can get that under control there should be nothing else holding me up. I'm past the point where I can hurt myself from twisting, so I have free reign to do whatever I feel like... which I guess means I better get my fat butt back to the gym. Oh, also I of course got another lecture about sunscreen on my incisions... that's what I get for showing up with this pool-walking tan!

It turned out that my dissolving stitches were the trick kind and didn't do their dissolvy job, so I had those ripped out today also. FUN! But now I don't have to go back for 2 months and I can cancel that appt if I feel I am doing well.

I wish that my overall healing wasn't hinging on self-mutilation- grr. The best part of my appointment was listening to this crazy lady on a cell phone talking about her, um, incarcerated sister who called her looking for bail $ and had her 2-year-old dropped at crazy lady's house for incarcerated babysitting. Some people don't realize that they are in public. The faces of my elderly fellow patients were priceless.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
Hey Kris ggod news that your os thinks that you are doing well, but you have to explain the poke wiggle torture to me it sounds pretty interesting, has evil Brad tried smilling again or was that one time enough for him ;)
Did they say why the dissolving stitched didnt dissolve or is that something that can happen to anyone and did it hurt getting them out????
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
hey tez, welcome back! are you working this week or just relaxing? won't be long for you now!

The poke-wiggle torture involves poking at my incisions and around the kneecap and wiggling the kneecap up and down and side to side. I hate it more than anything, so I am just THRILLED I get extra doses of it now!

I have no idea why my stitches didn't dissolve... I swear I'm not an alien or anything. He didn't seem too shocked by it, so I guess it just happens sometimes. I will say that having them removed hurt a little- maybe more than regular stitch removal since those are actually supposed to come out. Fortunately I had knee-wiggle torture on deck to distract me!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
Ah ha the poke wiggle thing dosen sound quite as interesting once you explain what it involves ;D but must be pretty painfull is that to stop scar tissue forming?
I am back to work on Friday so 2 days this week then the next 2 weeks at work and then the drilling and cutting will comence
I didnt think for a moment that your an alien a little strange sometime ::) but deffo not an alien ;D ;D
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
apparently the technical name is "patellar mobility massage"- but since when do I use clinical terms for ANYTHING?

brad will be back to his scowly ways today for sure. He cracked a smile on Mon. when he was trying to touch my toe to the back of his head, so if he can cause me some more agony i'm sure it will make his day.

well enjoy your last couple of days off... they never last long enough that's for sure. And might I add... takes a weirdo to know a weirdo!  ;)
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »
Oh how true  ;D ::) :-* :-*
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 06:59:53 AM »
Ack, I'm so behind on everyone's progress! This whole sight-seeing with the parents thing is more time-consuming than a full-time job!

First of all, yay on the good progress! But boo for knee torture pokeywiggles and stitch ripping. I didn't realise it was possible for the dissolving stitches to not dissolve. And thanks for the heads up about sunscreen on scars - I intend swimming as soon as my incisions have healed (legs trailing behind with the help of a float) so that's good to know. Not that we're getting much sun this so-called summer; it's the coolest June since I moved here five years ago.

We do have to test Mara's blood glucose for life. Normally we don't do it unless there are signs that her blood sugar is unstable, but given how sick she's been we're having to do it every night at the moment. Thankfully after yesterday's vet visit she's showing signs that her glucose is finally stabilizing again, so fingers crossed. She now has twice-daily insulin injections, weekly B12 injections, a steroid pill each night, probiotics mixed in her morning food and a multivitamin mixed in her evening food, and IV fluids every other day. Poor over-medicated kitty. At least she's really made progress in the past 24 hours, so we know she's on the right track now.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »
Hey Snowy aka cat nurse and tour guide! That is quite a list of medications... Glad she's doing better though. I am told that if the scars are properly sunscreened they will be almost invisible, but if you let them get sunburned they will stay red, angry looking and ugly for all eternity. Of course with my smart mouth, I asked "Isn't that what Mederma is for?" to which OS replied "Just wear some darn sunscreen."
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »
Sunscreen  :o

I wish someone had told me that one earlier  :-\. I've been trying to slowly even up the jigsaw suntan effect on my ACLr leg left over from a brief 40 minutes in the garden on Day 3 with the dressings on.
The walk to the coast yesterday did the trick .... the only bits on my leg that went red were the areas where my dressings had been that hadn't tanned before - so it's going to look worse before it looks better LoL

Off to the gym to continue my love affair with Mr Vario  ;D

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)