Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10  (Read 6109 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:48 AM »
Here I am alive to tell the tale. I have worked on this in spurts due to having some dizziness so I hope it is coherent

Since my journalism professors always told me not to bury the lede I will tell what I had done first, then go back to a timeline. My paperwork said I was scheduled for an arthroscope with synovectomy (the drilling.) I had that, plus some filing/smoothing of the top of the patella where I had some bone on bone and it was all pointy/spiky/jaggedy. The third procedure I don’t know- for reasons explained later- but it’s something medial. OS says all in all surgery was very successful and should solve everything!!!! I didn’t get crutches and I am getting around ok- very slowly- I am not supposed to fully bend the knee till the dressings come off and any turning or twisting is a no-no.

Sunday night, my parents made the normally 13-hour drive from Atlanta to Detroit in 11 hrs. We went out for beer (them), many many diet cokes (me) and pizza, then I stayed up drinking bottles of water and snacking on popcorn, cheese, whatever random stuff I thought might be fatty and keep me full. Had my last drink and nibble at 11:57 pm. Of course after all that liquid I was up a lot peeing all night and scared every pee would be my last given the 1 pm prego test situation.

I woke up at 9 am despite best efforts to sleep in.  I was already thirsty and starving because my normal work schedule has me with coffee at 5 and breakfast at my desk by 6. The family tried to be considerate sneaking breakfast bars and coffee in the kitchen, but Alan opened a can of Pepsi so loudly it sounded like a bomb. I wanted to tackle him for it. We sat, bored, staring at each other til we left at 12:30 for surgery center.
Check in was fast- 5 min. of registration paperwork, then back out to waiting area for 10 minutes before I was mercifully brought in for my urine test. (I had been holding it for almost 2 hours to ensure I could do it, and as we know girls with bad knees can’t do the pee-pee dance.) Then I answered the same 5 questions again (name spelling, which knee, address, etc.) and my OS came by to initial my knee. Changed into sexy gown at this time (got to wear my own undies, no paper for this girl... wish i wouldn't have worn a thong though)

The nurse checked my vitals and my blood pressure was ridiculous- 160 over something- so I had to sit silently with my eyes closed for 30 min. or so to get it down. It ended up being high the entire day but they seem to expect that in a preop situation. Truth be told, my mom and her yappy yappy yap kept making it go back up when my family came in so the nurse turned the monitor off, haha

At about 1:45 my family was then brought back to my holding area to sit with me and we waited… waited… waited… the nurse went to check on what was up and said my OS was still working on a “complex” procedure: “There are a lot of people in there,” she says. Uh oh. Then she checks the schedule and I wasn’t even meant to go into surgery until 3:15 in the first place! No one ever told me this before. We are all deflated at this point. My mom got a crossword from the nurse’s station and had to finally go out for a cig. This screws with my dad’s flight out so Alan and my dad decided to leave early for the airport so he could be back when I got out of surgery.

Finally I see the anesthesiologist, he offers general or spinal. I chose general and I must say here that I LOVED it! Nice warm flush feeling and I woke up feeling extremely refreshed.  I have been a bit queasy on and off but didn’t get sick or anything.

The last thing I remember was talking to the surgical nurses… something about us being 3 hot chicks… yes, I was already on my way under. Woke up to a different nurse telling me I was hysterical hyena-drunk girl laughing about something when I came to. I asked if I had called my hot surgeon a hottie to his face while I was druggy, and she said no… also that there are even hotter docs who come through that place, at which point I may have asked for an employment application  ;)  She then offered me crackers, a vicodin and a diet coke. I might have told her I loved her for that. Alan showed up right after, but my OS had already discussed the procedures with my mom (which she got 66% of), so he got the job of getting me back into my clothes and into my wheelchair, and off we went!

When I got home I expected to eat everything in sight but I don’t have much of an appetite yet. Ate half a chicken sandwich, half a side salad and the most important part was the strawberry shake! I have been drinking a lot of lemon lime soda and water though.

The pain is definitely totally different than what I’ve had… because it’s bone pain… but I’m setting alarms to stay on a medicine schedule. Ice packs aren’t doing much because my dressing is so thick, but my OS said I didn’t need to worry too much about ice yet, as long as I keep it elevated. So I am on the couch with every spare pillow in my house. Not super comfy, but  I am managing.

Nurse mom went to bed for the night but we are using our cellphones as walkie talkies if I need anything lol! Alan goes back to work tomorrow (well today as it’s now past midnight) so he’s off duty for now. I am really surprised I’m not more tired, and I was hoping for lots of sleep… but now I am just 15 minutes from my next dose of meds.

Hope this novel is enough for you for now! Also I hope it makes some kind of sense  ???
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: kris' scope, synovectomy and surprises 6/7/10
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »
Amazingly coherent, all things considered - I almost feel like I was there with you!

So glad to hear all went smoothly! I can't imagine going that long without eating or drinking (although I guess I'll find out soon enough what it's like). Was the third procedure a medial meniscus repair? Either way it sounds like your OS is optimistic, which is awesome.

I confess I'm delighted to hear that there might be a choice of anesthetic - I'm petrified by the idea of a general and am really hoping that spinal will be an option for me.

How does the bone pain differ from regular pain? Like you I've never been through anything like this before, so I'm curious.

Glad you're being well taken care of, and hope the night goes smoothly. Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow!

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:52 AM »
Hey Kris as Snowy said very coherent for someone whos just had surgery,, :) so glad its all over for you and now the healing begins.
It sounds like you will be well taken care of by your lovely Mum make the most of it and enjoy cos before you know it you'll be back on your feet fending for yourself.
A friend of mine a had a synovectomy a few weeks ago I think thats all she had but she is doing great.
I have to get ready for work but will check in later to see how your doing 2 weeks today till my holybags yipeeeee then a few weeks later i too will be starting a post op thread oh happy days ;D
Take care and feel better Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
Hi gals! As mentioned on fb I have sooo much pain today. I think I may have had a local at the site yesterday along with the GA. Considering how terribly bruised my IV spot is, I am even more glad I didn't opt for the spinal. I think it's a viable option for non-wusses, though, Snowy- and the anesthesiologist said they do put you to sleep so you don't remember anything- they just don't have to put a tube in. I have had terrible hiccups all day which we suspect may be from the tube. Basically every time I get up they come back! An excuse to stay seated I guess.

I think the 3rd procedure may have been a meniscus repair- that spot hurts the worst. Can't get a look at it yet since the dressings don't come off til tomorrow. I am hoping/assuming that my PT's office will be able to tell me what it is since they share a computer system with my OS' office. The "bone pain" is a deep achy throb- which I described before with my symptoms that got me here- but it's heavier, somehow, and sometimes throbs like a heartbeat. It's worst when I am trying to rearrange myself on my pillows since I sometimes inadvertently bend the knee and that's a no-no.

I got yelled at a bit by the surgical nurse who called this afternoon... I told her ice was pointless with all these bandages on, and she said shut up and ice, it will help, they ice people with casts on. I think that's a crock of s**t but I don't want to be a bad patient.

I still have very little appetite, not that I am complaining... but still not sleeping much. All of the meds are supposed to cause fatigue but I haven't felt it. I took 2 pills at 12:30 hoping to make it 6 hours, but woke at 6 am feeling like I was being beat with a sledgehammer. I've been up ever since taking one pill every 4 hours on the dot. (Set my phone alarm to play "Here I Am, Come and Take Me", the UB40 version... I think I'm so clever). Since the meds aren't making me loony I may try to drink a beer today, if nothing else it may help me sleep better.

Will report back tomorrow after I venture out into the world, but I am very dull today. So I'm off to read about the rest of the adventures in geekland :)

good knee vibes to all!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
Sorry about the pain that not so good could you not get something else that may help a bit more I dont know if its possible to phone your doc and get him to prescribe you something stronger or not but think about it.
The fact that they have not given you crutches indicates that it might not me a meniscis repair but maybe a trim or shave or whatever they do with naughty meniscis because i may be wrong here but a meniscis repair usually means no weight bareing for a while, I could be wrong I often am but who knows.
After my scope I had a really sore throat from the tube but didnt experience hiccups just shows we all react differently
Even if you dont think the ice is helping it deffo not hurting so may be worth doing just in case.
I hope you get some relief from the pain and you get some sleep tonight take care and happy healling Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »
How completely bizarre about the hiccups! I had no idea that that was a possible side effect of the breathing tube. I also didn't realise that they put you to sleep for the spinal. I think there must be another option for the ACLr, as I know that some surgeons let you stay awake and watch the procedure on the camera. That would actually be my preference (my friends think I'm completely insane) but my surgeon hasn't mentioned it so I'm not sure I'll have that choice.

Hope you can find out tomorrow what the third procedure was - it must be a little unnerving not to know for sure!

Here's to beers before bed and less pain tomorrow. :)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
yes I always thought they let you watch on a screen too! They say your brain doesn't register that it's watching you or something. I wonder if there was something about my procedure that made it so I wouldn't have wanted to watch? I am supposed to see photos at some point. It's not so much unnerving not knowing, I think it's probably relatively common for patients to have absentminded getting the rundown? I should have had her take notes.

I am hoping to be hiccup-free for therapy or else I am going to drive those poor people absolutely bonkers. I doubt I can bring my mom's fancy rock sugar for tea with me and that's the only thing that makes them go away... also having to eat spoonfuls of rock sugar all day hasn't been nearly as fun as it sounds!

It's now 2:15 so I am up waiting for my next dose of meds. I suspect that a little kitchen incident we had at dinnertime is adding to my pain... My dear mom was making us a roast chicken with rice and gravy (my favorite!.) When she took the chicken out of the oven, she decided to try to make gravy in my stoneware roaster dish... oh don't ask me what possessed her... it exploded on the stovetop and set off all the smoke alarms as hot gravy poured into the stove burners. (Alan wasn't due home yet for another 30 minutes) So I had to gimp upstairs and climb up on my wobbly IKEA desk chair to disassemble the upstairs hallway alarm and I probably wasn't supposed to be moving that fast. I was told I was only allowed one trip upstairs on Monday so we weren't sure if I was supposed to be making too many trips up and down yet... based on how it felt, I'll go with probably not!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
I'm fully expecting to be in no condition to take the rundown in, so my plan is to have J on standby with my iPhone to record it on a voice memo. A typically geeky response to the problem ;D

I hope the PT went well today and that your hiccups are starting to come under control. Isn't that strange that rock sugar fixes them? It might be worth squeezing the little web of flesh between your thumb and forefinger, too - that's a pressure point that can be quite effective for stopping hiccups.

I'm amazed that you were able to climb on a chair and disassemble a smoke alarm so soon post-op! Perhaps not the kind of PT that's recommended but it has to be a good sign that you were able to do that. Hope the roast chicken and what was left of the gravy was worth it. :)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
Hiya Kris how did p.t go today did you find out what the surprise part of the surgery was?
Please no more chair climbing especialy wobbly chairs YOU'VE JUST HAD KNEE SURGERY
how are you enjoying having your Mum to help you, apart from nearly setting the house on fire  of course ;D
You and Snowy talking about watching your own surgery makes my blood run cold my idea is put me to sleep do what you will then wake me up once its all done I deffo dont want to watch :o
I hope the pain is a bit better today and your looking after yourself ,or your Mum is looking after you I should say .
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:59:24 AM »
Hi all, sorry to be tardy but PT about killed me this morning. I was not expecting to get my bandages ripped off and put into the little CPM chair thingy first thing... 4 seconds hold at flexion and extension each for 7 min. back and forth. No idea the degrees but I wanted to cry! Also just trying to get the knee straight felt like a grindy mess. Have to start doing SLR and such tomorrow. Today was just about ICE now that I had more skin contact... 45 min. at a time, supposed to get 6 times in tomorrow. I also managed a shower, still too scared to scrub hard so I may be slightly iodined for life!

My OS didn't sign off on my surg report yet, so it's not in the system yet. My PT said he saw the pics though. He is going to try to get everything for me to see on Friday... still a bit of a mystery on procedure no. 3.

Sorry this is prob my least coherent post yet, but the sleep issues are starting to really catch up and I have been taking a lot more meds today. Waiting for another dose again now. Glad to at least escape the PT demons tomorrow but not looking forward to all those nasty stretches. Just getting my heel flat on the ground is a triumph and makes me want to not walk around at all... it gets terribly sore at the top of my kneecap where I was sanded or whatever.

Hope you're all having good knee day/night. In positive news I haven't had any hiccups today and mom avoided fire. Tomorrow we may order out Chinese just to be safe though :)
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
Ow...that sounds truly torturous! Hope the pain meds helped you get through the rest of the day. Hopefully the ice will be more effective now the bandages are off. As the swelling goes down that "grindy mess" feeling will hopefully start to ease off a little.

At least it's clean iodine now.  ;D How are the wounds doing?

I hope you feel much better after a good night's sleep. Keep us posted on how you get on with the stretches and how things are feeling today.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:53:17 AM »
Hiya!
Thanks for the positive thinking Snowy, clean and sterile iodine is better than the unwashed kind right? I have almost all of it off now! My incisions look ok- appears to be just 2 stitches each in my 3 holes. The hole on the medial side is the sorest but it's not red or swollen. The tapes are still hanging on for dear life so I'm just treating them to fresh band-aids and wrapping the whole thing up any time I am standing for longer than a couple of minutes.

Did my stretchy stuff all 3 times today... ankle pumps, SLR, the lay-on-stomach, bend-knee-back with other leg, kill-me-now stretch, some quad flexing with little pillows underneath, you probably know the drill. Felt sick during and after each set, but I've also been taking enough medicine to choke a horse. Good excuse to take a nap or 12!

What else... oh I slipped a bit getting out of the shower and almost had a cardiac event, I might start wearing flip-flops for safety!

Got a call from PT this afternoon asking me to come in at 1pm instead of 8:30 am so I can get more one-on-one attention from the PT director. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it... faster recovery means added torture, doesn't it? At least I can sleep in.

I am still hiccup-free and today I finally finished the Anna Maxted I've been passing out in all week. Time to move from the chick-lit to memoirs means I am going to have to start engaging my brains so I guess this is phase 2 of rehab?

happy knee night to all, I will be back after PT tomorrow... off to check on the rest of you!
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Just wanted to check in after PT... had to do CPM again except they call it the bio-something chair. My PT tried to poke at my kneecap but I made him stop because it was terrible... so he did some other hands-on things instead. Everything else was relatively pain-free except for the stationary bike, I was not ready for that yet.

They looked at my surgical report and it turns out I had a plica! Brad, my PT director, said my synovial fluid looked like it had "stalagtites" in it. So as far as I know, the 3 procedures were the patellar decompression, kneecap grinding down and the synovectomy. Should still get the full report on Monday.

I am walking much better today but still find that pain comes out of nowhere sometimes. This makes me nervous when I think about having to go back out into the world. We went to the grocery store after therapy and had to make a quick exit because my knee was starting to feel sticky and locky.

It's humid and on/off rainy here which is not ideal, hope you are all having good knee weather and have fun weekend plans! I am not planning anything crazy but my nurse/mom doesn't leave til Tuesday so we should be able to get some fun in! later gators.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »
Hi Kris how goes it with you lovely girl... ;D
Glad p.t wasen't too painfull today but sorry your still getting pain, I supose that will hapen for a while just make sure you take the pain meds before it  gets too bad or out of controll.
So did they do anything to the plica or does that not cause you any pain??
When you talk about going back into the world are you going back to work as fast as that, or do you mean just getting out and about generally?
I hope you are having a nice time with your Mum, it must be nice to spend some time with her and for her to look after you for a while, I am quite jelous :)
I should be in the kitchen preparing for a dinner party I am having tomorow night but to be honest I cant be bothered moving I am feeling very lazy tonight I should also be doing some prehab but cant be bothered with that either do you ever get times like that when everything just seems to be an effort :-\ :(   Oh well spose I need to move myself hope you have a good weekend and enjoy having your Mum with you take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »
Synovectomy? Ouch, no wonder you're in pain! That's quite a surprise to have sprung on you. Plicas are something I keep meaning to read more about.

Sorry to hear about the torturous PT but it sounds like you're doing pretty well in terms of the amount you're managing to cope with.

I'm at home nursing a cold, a malfunctioning computer and a sick cat at the moment, but thankfully my knees are behaving themselves today. We did go for a little drive down to the Granville Island Public Market and stocked up on fresh soups, veggies and deli meat for the next few days...time to start seriously working on this anti-inflammatory diet now that I have less than a month to go!

support