Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL injury from ice skating  (Read 1411 times)

Offline ABN173

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL injury from ice skating
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:59:38 AM »
  I have been in the military for over 20 years, including the airborne infantry for over 10 years.  I also figure skate (yes, I know how weird that sounds), I grew up in the rink as my mother was a skating coach.  Anyway,  In early February 2010, I was ice skating on a what we call a “freestyle session”  I was performing a combination jump with the 2nd jump in question being a double toe-loop. This is a jump where you take off on your right foot and land on the same foot.  Your left leg is supposed to stay crossed in front of your right until right at landing or perhaps slightly before.  In my case I opened from this position early and also had dropped my left shoulder.

This caused me to land on left leg instead of my right. The speed and momentum I had applied inward pressure and I felt my knee separate a bit with pain on my left inner knee.  I felt a “pop” but did not hear one per say.  Normally I shake off falls but not this time.  I went to the base hospital ER and they performed X-rays and said it was a soft tissue MCL injury. 

I should also mention that I had been taking “Mobic” for arthritic pain  during this injury (But I was taken off that as I was diagnosed for high blood pressure).   I went to see my own unit PA/physical therapist a few days later, he characterizes my injury as a class II sprain of my MCL. He said the fact that I still felt pain during all his movement test was a good sign and that I should recover in 2-3 months.  I did some research online to verify his information and it looked like I should recover by then.  He gave me a hinged brace to wear as well.  Anyway it has been about five months now and I still have discomfort (even during sleep sometimes) Yesterday, I had dropped something and squatted down to pick it up and experience a fair amount of discomfort, with some follow on aching throughout the day today too. 

I have recently been trying to ease back into the rigorous physical training we have to perform but I am not having much success. I am wondering why I am still in pain/discomfort and why I seem to “tweak” my  knee doing the simplest task like putting socks or boots on sometimes?  I still ice my knee a few times a day but really how long can I expect this recovery to take?  Also I am just over 40 years of age if that matters any.

I plan on going back to see my Doctor this week but I want to also hear other thoughts or opinions too. Thanks in advance. 

With regards,
Dale

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:02:33 AM by ABN173 »

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: MCL injury from ice skating
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
Hi Dale ~ Welcome & you've come to the right place for information. Having partially torn an MCL I know it will heal on its own in 6 to 8 weeks but I've heard often enough that it's never the same as it was before the injury.

What surprises me is that with your ongoing problems no doctor's suggested an MRI to get a better idea of what's going on inside your knee. Can you request one? MRI is apt to reveal what a doctor's exam or even x-rays cannot.

Like you I have ongoing problems but at least I know what I'm dealing with. At this point, you don't. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.