Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What is my recovery time ACL post surgery?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Patricia R

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What is my recovery time ACL post surgery?
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:52 AM »
I am two weeks post opp after a ACL reconstruction allograft hamstring, LM repair and a tibial plateu fissure. Also MRI confirmed bone brusing and bone marrow odema. This was all after a ski injury. Physio pre opp has been so painfull and I have been using cold therapy non stop. I have struggled to walk and weight bare before opp. Physio seemed to think I was being a drama queen and I felt they did not believe the pain I was in. I am now really worried about going back to pysio.

I am trying to walk for short times off the crutches. The skin around my scare is very swollen and sore to touch. Is this normal?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: What is my recovery time ACL post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
You can only go by your surgeon's protocol as only they know what exactly was wrong in your knee and what they had to do to remedy it.

I have had bone bruises and bone marrow oedema - it is very very painful and can take a long time to heal. If the bruises are actually on weight-bearing surfaces, which with a Tibial Plateau fissure, I'm pretty sure they are, then it is going to be extremely painful for a while yet.

If your PT is so unsympathetic, I would suggest that you ask to be changed to someone in the practice with more experience of your particular type of injury. If you cannot change, maybe reminding your physio of the OTHER injuries besides your ACL allograft repair might bring them back to reality. Alternatively you could look for another physiotherapy practice altogether.

As for the scar, yes they can be super sensitive in the early weeks. As soon as the wound is closed and the stitches/staples removed, then begin to gently massage the scars with vitamin E based salves. It helps to reduce the scarring and returns the flexibility to the skin. I actually used what is called "Melkfett" here in Germany. This is a natural product used for reducing soreness to cows udders/teats (Bag Balsam in the USA maybe?) that is sold in our pharmacies exactly for the purpose of treating fresh scar tissue.

The length of a rehab cannot be exactly quoted as every single one of us has different reactions to pain, the treatment we have received and how we actually heal.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline SuckyKneesInNC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: What is my recovery time ACL post surgery?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
Not sure what the recovery time is as I have never had that done but I can attest to the sensitivity of the scars.
I had major open knee surgery in Sep 09 and my scar still hurts so bad some days that I cant even bare to have a pair of jeans touching it and I have to wear shorts.

support