Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: fulkerson, revision of MPFL reconstruction, lateral release, and a bit more...  (Read 59028 times)

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
OMFG Amen on curling up into a ball...you don't know how many times I've had that exact same thought!!!!! Ahhhhh. And I feel ya on the sleeping too..I'm still on lots of pain meds and it makes me sleepy all the time and waking up is HELL because it always hurts even more from being in the same position the whole time. Ouch on the doing the quad sets in hyper extention...how the heck do you fix that part???
8 years old: first dislocation left knee/therapy
teens: first dislocation right knee/therapy
2008: birth of first child/dislocating often even in sleep
03/2010: dislocation/trip to ER with knee dislocated in fully bent position
05/2010: MPFLr & LR

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
Bad news - im having an allergic reaction to the steri strips, they are causing a red raised itchy rash and it is kinda spreading, it is where the tape is and on the side, kinda starting to get everywhere

cupcake - OMG I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant get comfortable anywhere b/c i cant curl up, i also dont norm sleep on my back so that makes it harder to get to sleep
way to fix hyper-extension while doing quad sets - a small pillow under my leg, or a beanie buddy (im 17 but still sleep with a stuffed animal, pathetic i know, but its like my security blanket, and right now my best friend) but im not sure what im going to do to keep it from hyper-extending later. i have a collegen disorder which allows my tendons and ligaments to be really stretchy, so after recovery im going to have to be really careful. the last time i was in PT, the final visit, when they cleared me, my ROM was -15 to 140, and i wasnt even trying to get a negative number, actually if i had streched, i could have prob gotten -18 to -20. so for now im going to put a small pillow or something under my knee

my knee is hurting now, and im finding sleep difficult, so im going to take somethinf before i lay down, but i havent taken anything all day, even did my PT and didnt take anything

oh that reminds me, im going to do an at home program for the first 5 weeks b/c im able to do everything that protocal will let me do at home and dont need help :) so until after then and the protocal will let me do more im going to do it at home, which is good b/c it saves me an hours drive to do stuff that i can do at home :) yay for starting PT before leaving the hospital :) and not loosing the ability to fire my quads

good night y'all
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
Hey!

I know how you feel when you mentioned not being able to do all the things your friends can do.  I will be a senior in college come September, and in all reality, this is my LAST summer.  Did I have other plans?  You bet ya!  I'm just now starting to work, and that's my life for now.  It's frustrating to spend my last real summer unable to do things I love (swim, camp, hike, bike, etc) but it's also great that I can recover without worrying about classes or missing work. 

By the way, I have a good deal of numbness on the lateral side of my knee.  The completely numb part is about the size of my hand, and the partially numb part is a bit larger.  Shaving is really weird!  And the numb part itches beneath the skin, and I can't itch it because it's numb!!  I end up rubbing hard, which works.  But it's still annoying. 

Shoot, it's 12am midnight and I still have tons to do.  The students come to campus for the summer program I'm working at TOMORROW...er TODAY...so it's D-Day right now.  Must drink caffeine and finish door decs.  Sigh...great for the healing.

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
hey naturegirl
yeah, it is frustrating to not be able to do what everyone else can, and hang with my friends this summer, really wish i could drive though.
but it is really nice to not have to worry about getting to class and studying for exams and keeping up because im going to be taking two college classes when school starts back (american literature, and calculus) plus my school is built on a hill and i have to walk 1/4 of a mile uphill to get from my car to the school. so that is a big plus.

yesterday i was walking with crutches and the brace for 3 hours, didnt have massive swelling and didnt need to take anything either, then i came home and ate, and after supper we then went back to town and watched Toy Story 3. when i got home i was tired, but my knee wasnt hurting that much :)

then today we went to Atlanta (its an hour and fourty mins one way) and went shopping for 4 hours (used a wheelchair because it was really crowded and i didnt want to be hit) after i got back in AL we went to walmart and i was in there on crutches for about an hour or so. im now home and there is not much more swelling than there normally is, although the top of my calf is a little swollen and sore. but the pain isnt bad at all.

along with going shopping, i also entered in a few races. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS ON CRUTCHES OR IN A WHEELCHAIR IS NOT A REASON TO RUN AND GET IN FRONT OF THEM AND THEN STOP, OR TO GET RIGHT BESIDE THEM AND THEN COMMENT ON HOW SLOW THEY ARE BEING. IT IS EASIER TO MOVE IF YOU WOULD GET OUT OF OUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!! we are not trying to make you have a bad day by getting out of the house and going somewhere, please be nice for a few seconds and we will try to stay/get out of your way
sorry about that

does anyone else have problems with their brace, and it making your knee hurt worse, and increasing the swelling? also when i am in my brace, my knee is still bent at about 5-10 degrees, even when the brace says it is locked in extension :/ the PT and my OS didnt say anything about it, so i guess it is okay, but it is annoying in a way

well anyway, night y'all and hope that everyone has a good weekend
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
@mellophone Yes the brace increased my pain and swelling especially below the knee area in my shin. In addition to the MPFL I had a TTT and where my two screws are is super sensitive and rubs against the brace causing discomfort and like spiders are on it.. My screws are definitely detectable and I can feel them upon touching. I just hit 6 weeks post op this past Friday and for about a week now the swelling with the brace has not been noticeable. It'll get better!!

How was Toy Story 3?
Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
toy story 3 was really good :)
but the end made me realize that i am now a senior in high school, and in a year (or less really) that i will be moving away from my parents and family  :'(  but they are only going to be a phone call away, so :)

but today i am paying for my excursions the past two days. i have had more swelling, and this morning it was tight, but after a few mins in the cpm it was loosened up again.

camster, does that feel weird?

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
@mellophone - In response to your question about feeling weird, my guess is you're referring to the screws being palpable? Yes it's weird, giving me the chills when I touch them. I have read some fellow members try and rubs theirs to decrease the sensitivity. I shave over mine every night and apply lotion, which doesn't seem to be helping or decrease any of the sensitivity.. When driving I have to put my key chains through another loop because even just something rubbing it sends me into this creepy crawling feeling..  ::) ha ha if that makes any sense?? One is definitely more sensitive than the other and hurts more too. at some points in the evening it feels worst than other times in the day, which I find kind of weird.

Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
hmmmm not much to say, other than sleep is difficult, pain is not quite as bad, allergic reaction/chemical burn area is still itching but isnt as red, and im going stir crazy.

hope everyone is doing okay

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
Ditto on the stir crazy...too bad we didn't all live really close then we could have a "yay we had really obscure everyone I try to explain it to's eyes glaze over" knee surgery party =) I hope you start sleeping better soon!!

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
thanks cupcake and so true! that made me laugh so hard b/c it is true

okay yall, ive got a question

im 17, and my ligaments are already really stretchy (due to a collagen disorder according to my os  :-\ ) what do yall think is going to happen once i have kids... do you think im going to have to go through this again...

but my creative and problem solving working with my hands side is coming back :) see i cant carry stuff in my hands too well right now, and my shorts dont have pockets, so i made a pocket for my crutches out of a book cover and duct tape (i had both in my room) so now i can carry small to med sized stuff w/o tripping or slipping :D

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
I'd talk with your doctor about it when you're thinking about getting pregnant or (if it's a surprise) when you're pregnant. I bet if you wear a brace during pregnancy it will help. I was never very cautious about my knee and am paying for it now but I think if I'd worn a brace it would've helped a lot. Plus, you had a fulkerson which alone could solve your instability problems so it might not be an issue at all. I'll definitely be discussing my left knee with my surgeon before getting pregnant again though- my knee used to dislocate in my SLEEP lol ouch not fun.

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
cupcake i hear you on dislocating in your sleep, its not fun at all!
also had about 3 dislocations when it was bent 60-70 degrees, they hurt like heck, and when i straightened my leg, those didnt go back, i had to move the patella back by myself
true that i did have a TTT but what about the MPFL, i dont to have to go through that a third time
i will talk to my os when i plan on having kids, but thats a while away lol

and as for a brace, during a football game i had left my brace on the bus from where i was changing before the game and i could tell a big difference in the stability of my knee, even though the brace didnt keep my patella in place, it helped, but this year i wont have to worry about that because my os pulled me out of marching band and its my senior year.

okay, i know that this is a site for knee injuries, but i was in a car wreck (my fault, pulled out and was T-Boned, totaled the car because it twisted the frame two ways) back in march and hurt my shoulder, it had been feeling better unless i moved specific ways, but now that im on crutches it is making noises and it hurts again. i cant wait to be off of crutches so my shoulder will calm back down.

hope that everyone is able to make good progress in the way of recovery

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
today i was productive on my summer reading list :) yay!
pain hasnt been too bad, the last time i took anything was on sunday
but my hamstrings are trying to cramp up and i really want to bend my knee

but a few mins ago i was walking down the hall with the brace on, and using crutches like im supposed to do, and my knee decides to make a loud "POP!" noise, i even felt my lower leg shift in a lateral motion, there is not much of an increase of pain fom the TTT area, but it feels weird in general now. should i be worried?

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
but a few mins ago i was walking down the hall with the brace on, and using crutches like im supposed to do, and my knee decides to make a loud "POP!" noise, i even felt my lower leg shift in a lateral motion, there is not much of an increase of pain fom the TTT area, but it feels weird in general now. should i be worried?

No large increase in Pain...I would say nothing to worry about.

I have had the same POP happen after each Major knee surery (3 Fulkerson's, 1 Partial Replacement) and it has always been scar tissue breaking up.  Sometime it has even felt really good because it felt like it freed up my knee some!

Take Care and Good Luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
i think KW is correct but I would still mention it to your doctor on your next visit, did it give you any increased swelling