Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: fulkerson, revision of MPFL reconstruction, lateral release, and a bit more...  (Read 59004 times)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Hi

Sounds like your doing great, not a fan of the mall idea, only  cause kates few outings which were only target people were very inconsiderate and in a hurry and she got knocked arounded and you will have lots kids at the mall and I dont think they fully understand what you have been through and they maybe in rush knock you over etc you get the idea I was with kate and amazed at how much hurry everyone was how careless they can be around you.  I would save the mall til your down to one crutch what about a Movie that was kates first outing she was able to elevate it during the movie was a great first outing and she was exhausted from it and didnt want to finish the movie,  I dont know if you realize how much stress your body is under busy busy healing so you need  to save engery for that.

You are doing so AWESOME, check with your Doctor on the swelling ours had to start kate on I think Advil for the swelling but it was her foot.

Keep up the good work

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
You're doing amazing with your SLRs especially being so soon out of surgery!! Congrats!!  ;D

I just read your post on how sick you felt and I had that same experience, except I think mine was withdraw symptoms from the medication Percocet...  :P  I got so shaky, sweaty and felt very nauseated but eventually it subsided and I called the doctor to change medications.  It's no fun being sick especially when you're already in pain and cannot do much about it.. Other than that reading your posts it sounds like everything is coming along smoothly and you're on a roll with at home exercises!! Keep it up, but like the doctor said don't over do it!! ;)
Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
went to Target today and used one of the wheelchairs because it was hurting already when i got there, and i do see what you meaned by rude people, they would stare at me and just stand right in the way and a few even alost ran into me while i was in the wheelchair

the swelling has gone down now, i have had to wear a compression stocking, 2 ace wraps, ice, and a ton of elevation on it before it would go down, but now it has started to go down and im just using the icem elevation, and the compression stocking

while i was in the dr office on thursday he asked me if i could get my foot off the table and i did a full SLR, then went to do another, and he told me to stop and chill, that one was enough and he didnt want me to put too much stress on my knee yet OOPS!!! but he also said that the x-rays looked good and the screws were holding well :D so i guess im fine and hes just wanting to be very cautious

i figured that getting so sick with the Percocet was in part due to the fact of i took it on an empty stomach, started moving around before it started working, and had let the pain get really bad :/
today i managed to back off with the meds a LOT in total i have taken 4 Percocet all day, the dr doesnt want me to take ibuprofen for at least 6 weeks because it can mess with bone healing and we dont want to deal with that :/  get to start PT on monday  :)   im really ready to be cleared to do so much more, but i have to take it slow, idk which is more annoying, having to chill and not be independet or the pain from all the stuff he did
my only other problem is that im really tired and sleepy after i do much of anything and my dad is getting mad at me for it, he thinks that im staying up all night on facebook, which i am not, and then wanting to sleep all day. actually im spending time awake in bed because im having VERY vivid dreams and am finding it difficult to sleep at night because of them, therefore during the day i am really tired and tend to nap a lot when i am not doing the exercises. did anyone else have similar dream issues?
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
okay, found out something a little bit odd. so im sitting at my grandmothers house today, and my phone has no service except for when i put the phone directly on my knee!!!!!!!! i laughed so much when i realized this!!!!!!!! if i take it off my knee and move it 6 inches from my knee then it has no service, and if i move my knee from this spot then it has no service here either. my knee is giving my phone service!!!!!! hahaha :)
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
Glad you stayed out of the mall, People can be so clueless it really is sad.  Yes the ADVIL is not good unless you really have to Kates foot was so HUGE we had no choice but we were only on it a few days to get the swelling down and boy it was a like a miracle drug.

I have heard of people having very vivid dreams on the pain meds.   It is very common for you to sleep alot kate slept almost the entire day off and on and at night she would be  up and then nap up and then nap and at night it was sometimes hard to sleep for whatever reason so we watched the entire season of Burn Notice, Monk, Pschy and In Plain Sight my goodness my house became like a Video store when she couldnt sleep we put in a TV show and I left off Greys Anatomy..............lol  . Sometimes she would cry waiting for the next pain killer pill while we watched these shows.

Have you thought about having your parents read some of the Knee Gurus I think it could be very helpful for your dad.

good luck you really sound AWESOME so glad it is going well for you.  Keep up the good work

suzanne

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
thanks mrs.agres, but my dad hates getting on the computer, and when he gets home he is conserned with the gardens we have b/c we have 3 really really big gardens, and he would just tell me that he has had knee surgery before and he knows what it is like (he has had scopes because of torn cartilage, never anything any more major than that) he is getting mad at me for wanting to sleep and i know that he wouldnt read any of these posts.

the pain isnt too bad actually, except for when im trying to sleep, and then its bad and when i wake up its pretty bad, but when i in the CPM it isnt too bad, and it gets bad if it i dont have it propped up too, but if i keep it elevated then the pain generally isnt too bad, but i am tired and sleepy during the day and find it hard to sleep at night :/

im starting PT on monday

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
thanks to everyone who has been here, yall have already helped me soooo much, because i know that yall know what it is like and truly understand what i am going through, whereas my parents and friends dont understand. one of them understands that it was a major knee surgery, but doesnt fully grasp what im feeling. right now im confused and want to go do stuff, and i cant sleep because of the odd dreams, and my dad wants me to stop sleeping during the day and staying up at night :/ but when i fall asleep during the day the dreams are not as vivid and i am able to get some rest.
i think im going to have a breakdown before this is all over :'( i hate having vivid dreams and also hate having to rely on other people and not being able to do anything, i want to go drive and work on my car so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(
also why am i so emotional right now?  ??? i normally dont let my emotions bother me at all, and im the one that my friends know they can come to for advice and if they are upset then ill try my best to help them, right now i feel like curling up in a ball and crying!!!!
i did cry when i found out that one of my friends is leaving for Paris Island within the next few days for Marine boot camp, the part that made me cry is because he is 16, and he will be gone for the entire summer  :'(
i hate to break down and cry because my friends have always said that im really strong and i dont want to break down now.
last night 2 of my best friends were hanging out and they told me to get better so the 3 of us could hang out, they dont know how much i do want to hurry up and get over this surgery, and last night my best friend left on a road trip and wont be back for 3 weeks, and i wont be able to talk to her except for maybe 2 times during the trip

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
why does it seem as if everyone else on here is able to bend and all?????????
 :'( i have to be in my brace at all times and it is locked in extension, i am using the CPM machine and my os wont let me go above 45 degrees at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(
i am going to start PT on monday
i really want to be able to just go do something!!!!!!!!!!!!
this sucks!!!!!!!!!!
i want to go ride my dirtbike, work in the garden, drive, work on my car, hang out with friends, go bowling, just in general GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND BE NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
I feel your frustrations!  It's maddening to be stuck inside, foot up  high, doing absolutely nothing of interest for days on end!!  I am STILL frustrated that I can walk normally and for long distances, curl up in a chair, or move around easily.  It's getting better each day, but I just want to be normal again too! 

Sleeping is normal after surgery.  I assume you're still on some narcotic pain meds, and those can knock you out.  They also cause pretty strong dreams (or semi-day dreams for me...I'd wake up talking.  Embarrassing when you're asking Mom how they manage to screw weather balloons into the clouds:)).  I kind of want to kick your Dad's butt because you NEED to be sleeping.  A major part of your healing happens while you're sleeping, so it's important.  The meds and the change in your lifestyle (aka not being able to do anything) will mess with the emotions.  Also, being in pain makes me pretty darn grumpy and frustrated.  So not being able to control your emotions well is kind of normal after such a major surgery and during the long recovery process.

Perhaps you could print off some of these posts for your parents to read?  It is REALLY hard for people to understand what you're going through if they haven't been through it.  My Dad and Sister really have no clue what is going on with me and my emotions.  Luckily, my Mom, who is legally disabled, understands a lot more.  She has a neuromuscular disease that causes quite a bit of pain in her lower body, and causes muscle athrophy (it's called Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, if you're interested).  She gets my frustrations and lets me vent to her.  We understand what you're going through, so feel free to vent here!  :) 

And it terms of bending-not everyone gets to bend.  I've read about some people who are in a straight brace or locked in extension for a few weeks.  I was allowed to bend, but had to keep the brace locked whenever I was moving.  I think part of the reason to not bend is so that your screws aren't messed up with the Fulkerson.  And it just hurts too. :)  You'll gradually get to start bending more and more.

Remember- it will get better.  It's a long recovery, but by summer's end it's likely that you'll be living pretty normally.  You'll hit a turning point sometime, and be amazed by the progress.  We all just have to be patient...which sucks. 

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
YOU jogged my memory I had people on Knee guru tell about at the two week mark kate would have an extreme MELTDOWN and she sure did day 10 it was maybe that is what your experiencing so it is totally normal.

I LOVE LOVE the idea of printing off the posts great suggestion, The beauty of this site is you have found a support system which is what you need, your parents also need one but they may not know it, as caretaker to kate this site was PRICELESS for me, If it werent for HEIDI and her guidance and support i dont know if i would have done as well as I did,  I owe her the world, you should read her posts they may help you.  I think she is on page 3 now HEIDI63

Have your dad go with you to your next doctor appointment and maybe have him explain the amount of sleeping your doing and if it is okay.

Keep up the good work, you may want to take a pain pill to PT to take after or slightly before everyone likes to do it little different.  I think there is advice about that from people on my post

best of luck suzanne

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
hey naturegirl and agresknee
today is day 10. it has been tough to say the least :/
i dont go back to my os for 4 weeks because he said that everything looked good. so by then i will hopefully not be sleeping anywhere near as much.
did manage to take a shower by myself today, we have a normal shower, and the side of the tub is about my knee high ot a little above, and there is no hand rail inside. and my mom wasnt home, just me, dad, and brother. after the shower i was really tired though, it wiped me out because i was having to be so careful, and my shower isnt big enough for a chair or anything.
there is pain behind my knee and the percocet hasnt helped at all with it :(
when not in the cpm my knee feels sooooooo stiff and sore, all i want to do is be able to move again, but if it wernt for him having to do the cartilage plugs because of cartilage damage already, then i wouldnt even have a cpm and would be stuck in extension for now.
the brace is uncomfortable and also makes sleep harder, which isnt helping my mental state at the moment either.
Can anyone tell me why quad sets hurt, but I can do a SLR with easeÖ ???
And there are parts of my knee that are numb and itch at the same time, its so annoying!!
i prob should take up another hobby, one that is more suited for a girl b/c most of my hobbies are more male dominated, but i love working with my hands and feeling free, which i feel free when im on my dirtbike, but for now and even for a while after the brace comes off I wont be cleared to ride my dirtbike, even though I donít do big, it still puts a lot of stress and jarring on my knees because of the bumps and standing to avoid all of the beating, that makes me sad now 
also I want to work on my old car (a 1971 Opel GT) (straight shift) and drive my everyday car (also a straight shift) the Opel has a good bit of body work to be done, and a lot of it requires me to be on my knees, or crouched down, and using power tools while on Percocet prob isnít the best idea either. And I really want to drive, but I would have to borrow a car from my grandparents b/c there is only one car here that is an auto and my mom drives it
This is hard right now, its summer, I live in the country and donít get to see my friends very much because of the drive, plus im 17, still a kid and this is
my third knee surgery and im scared and my dad in particular doesnít get the fact that I need sleep, am not trying to be lazy, and I want to do stuff, and my dr is being conservative b/c he doesnít want me to end up having to have another surgery
 this form has been amazing, it is a place to ask questions, get answers, get support, vent, and be understood
thank you to everyone on here

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
WHAT AM I DOING STILL UP?!?!?!?!?! IT IS 2 AM AND I CANT SLEEP!!!!!!!!

okay, now that that out of the way, i have some interesting news!!! :)
went to PT today for my eval, and the therapist did the eval and looked at the protocal and told me tat im where most people are after they have 2-4 weeks of therapy. with all of the limits and precautions that i have right now i am at my max limit and can go no further, so the therapist is going to talk to my os and see if i can hold off on startinf PT until i can do more, because i am already to do everything that PT was supposed to help me with and teach me. after 6 weeks, i will then be able to not be as cautious and will be able to do more. i went to the os on thursday and he didnt want to see me for 4 weeks, which would put me back in his ofice 5 weeks post op. right now there is nothing that PT can do with me that i am not already determined enough and pushing enoug that i am not able to do yet. so fo the time being i shall wait and see what i hear back from the therapist or from my dr.

in addition to the question about quad sets being hard and SLR's being easy, has anyone else had issues with SEVERE ITCHING ON THE INCISION SITE!!!!!!!!! IT IS NUMB AND ITCHY!!!!!!! :'(

today after the eval, i went to the mall and was on my leg for about 35-45 mins, and when i got home there wasnt much more swelling than before, i was also able to sit in the front seat of my moms rav4 suv. all in all it was a good day if i could take away the itching (it is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and being unable to sleep. i really wish that i could change those 2 things.

also i want to hang out with my friends now, TOY STORY 3 COMES OUT ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but it will prob be better to wait till tues or wed to go see it so it wont be as packed and i can use the seat in front of me to prop my leg on and be more comfortable during the movie.
any thoughts?

and i hope that everyone is having a good week so far :)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
Sounds great kee up the good work have fun and enjoy TOY story we are going to see it after the crowd thins

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
Not sure about the quad set/SLR since at least at my PT I do a quad set straight into an SLR so that doesn't make sense- where does it hurt? Only thing I can think is maybe you're not doing it right? But as for the itching/numb- I get the same thing SO frustrating. What it is though is your insides healing I think- makes sense to me at least- if you cut yourself and then it starts healing and scabs over- when the scab is ready to fall off- it starts itching. So, I think what you actually feel is itching on the inside which feels like it's on the outside especially because you're numb. I usually just apply pressure and it helps a little but gosh it's annoying lol Keep up the good work! =)
8 years old: first dislocation left knee/therapy
teens: first dislocation right knee/therapy
2008: birth of first child/dislocating often even in sleep
03/2010: dislocation/trip to ER with knee dislocated in fully bent position
05/2010: MPFLr & LR

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
thursday will be the 2 week post op mark

have managed to cut down on the pain meds A LOT havent taken anything over 19 hours and the pain isnt too terrible
i think the itching has also got somethng to do with the steri strips - i took 2 of them off, and under them it was red, raised, and really itchy :/

the quad sets were hurting b/c my knee was in negative extension when i was doing them, if i make sure to not over-extend then it doesnt hurt

WARNING!!!! TURNS NEGATIVE FROM HERE ON DOWN ON THIS POST!!!!!!!!

the numbness is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and im ready to just be able to do things normally again, my sleep pattern is messed up and ive never been one who wakes up easily or in a good mood, so add that with a messed up sleep schedule, and frustrations, and pain, itching, numbness, and not being able to do everything = a grouch, so im in trouble for snapping on my mom when she tried to wake me up yesterday, and my grandmother today. i didnt mean to, but i was finally comfortable and they were telling me to get up :(

havent been able to see my friends so thats a bummer as well, im trying to look at the big picture, but when all of your friends are posting stuff on facebook about camps and beach trips, and youth retreats, and going to italy, and just in general about the fun stuff that they are doing, it kinda becomes harder to keep smiling esp when it takes 5 mins to go from my room to the living room and sit on the couch :(

sorry about a bummer post, but its the way im feeling right now, i just want to curl up in a ball and cry, but wait, i cant even curl up in a ball to sit on the couch, so that idea is out  :'(

support