Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: fulkerson, revision of MPFL reconstruction, lateral release, and a bit more...  (Read 59804 times)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
i had surgery on my right knee on thursday 6-3-10
it consisited of a fulkerson, revision of MPFL reconstruction, revision of lateral release, chondroplasty of the patella, and cartilage plugs as well.
had a femoral block which started to wear off thursday night/early friday morning :/
they sent me home with a CPM and pain meds
the scar is kinda long and it isnt straight :/ but if itll fix my knee then itll have been worth it entirely
my leg is really swollen and have been icing it as much as possible
this is going to be a long road in order to get back to where i need to be
im young, and very independent but im not going to be able to do this alone, im scared, if anyone has any advice then i will gladly listen, thanks!
this is not m first knee surgery, it is my third, but it is by far the worst and most invasive
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
Wow that's a lot all at once! Why did you need a revision of your MPFL and LR? I just had that surgery and mine is extremely tight and my knee is not yet sitting in its groove by quite a bit so the thought of needing a revision makes me a little nervous lol

I'm young also- 26. This was my first surgery so I'm hoping it helps things but it's been a slow road. I was really debilitated by an awful injury that was not treated properly (I was in a straight brace for 2 months pre-op and no PT until a week before surgery because of the three drs I saw only the last one indicated the importance of getting my quad back before surgery). Anyway, it's been a long month post-op and things are not progressing as quickly as I would have liked but it's getting there and it definitely gets easier. Who do you have to help you at home? I hope you have lots of help. I know it's hard but you can get through it. I have a 22 month old and it's been killing me not to be able to care for her by myself but you have to count your blessings and thank god I have people in my life who have been more than happy to pitch in!

My only advice is keep at it and watch the pain meds. I am still on a pretty large amount considering I'm 5 weeks out but on days that I try to wean back- I've found it hard to do my PT etc and that's so crucial to recovery. I hope today is a good day and you're doing well! KUP on your progress. It has been great to be on KG and have other people to talk to who understand what I'm going through. As much as I love my friends and family- until they have gone through this they just can't understand.
8 years old: first dislocation left knee/therapy
teens: first dislocation right knee/therapy
2008: birth of first child/dislocating often even in sleep
03/2010: dislocation/trip to ER with knee dislocated in fully bent position
05/2010: MPFLr & LR

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
Hello!

I also had a Fulkerson, MPFL and LPFL reconstruction 5.5 weeks ago.  I'm 21, and it was my knee surgery.  I know how you feel right now.  I am stubbornly independent, and having to rely on others to do simple things was hard.  Having family and friends around is darn near a necessity right after surgery!  So long as you have someone around to help, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I agree that keeping up on the pain meds is really important in the beginning.  My Mom didn't want me to take them unless I was up and asked for them, and she tried to get me to wait a bit before taking them.  That attitude ended quickly when she realized how much pain that put me in, and then we got on a pretty tight schedule.  That allowed me to move around and do the exercises prescribed immediately post-op, which we hard!  To help with pain, be sure to ice it a lot and keep it elevated with nothing underneath the knee except air.  At first I had a pillow under my knee, but we soon realized the pillows needed to be underneath my calf or my leg wouldn't be straight, which is important. 

My scar was really crooked for awhile, until the swelling started going down.  It's still a bit curved, but once the swelling is completely gone, I think it'll be straight.  And it's over 8 inches long!  I didn't expect one that big!  But like you, if it'll fix it it's worth it!

Hope your recovery goes well!
-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
i had to have a revision of the MPFL and LR because the MPFL stretched out and the LR got tighter, so the patella was still sublaxing really bad
it is super hard to have to rely on other people b/c im 17 and extremely independent but am realizing that i wont be able to do it alone and the help of my mom (she is a nurse) is going to be much needed, but she has never had any knee trouble other than minor knee pain so she doesnt understand what i am going through because she has never had anything like this happen to her

the pain meds help a lot but im afraid of becoming hooked :/ but wen i dont take them then im unable to do anything, im less than a week out and am able to get around pretty well when im on crutches, but i cant do more than 2 straight leg raises in a row, and quad sets hurt A LOT! i feel a ton of pressure under my patella when i try to and its a little concerning

my scar is also curved!!!! WOO! thanks and hopefully as the swelling goes down itll look better

this is my third surgery and hopefully it will work
i am unable to have just air under my knee because when i do that my knee tries to invert and go backwards and it creates more pain and pressure

it is really good to have people on here that have gone through the same thing, because yall actually understand and it doesnt seem silly to admit the fact that i am scared to yall
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
I am so happy you moved your post you are getting responses already,  At this stage after the surgery you need the pain medication as time moves forward you can taper down and get off, but this surgery is so major you want to experience as little pain as possible.

Keep us posted and remember your mom loves you and wants to help you it is hard for her as well to see you helpless we cant understand but we do want to make it easier on you.

talk soon suzanne

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
It is hard to constantly rely on people, but not having to do the dishes is a benefit!  ;)  I went back to college 3 days post-op and had to rely a lot more on myself.  I had friends that helped get me food and such, but doing things around my room and transporting things was left up to me.  It was nice to be independent, and it forced me to figure things out on my own.  But it was hard.  A few times I literally sat in my room starving because I couldn't find any friends to pick up my meals. I moved back home a few weeks later at the end of the year, and having family support was nice again. 

Quad sets and SLRs will hurt for awhile.  If you are already in PT, you can ask your therapist about it to insure you're doing them right.  The therapist can tell you for sure whether it is good or bad pain.  I remember the first ones I did in the hospital bed the day after surgery.  I was crying, trying not to bawl my eyes out.  It'll get better.  Make sure when you do the SLRs that your leg is 100% straight, or it'll hurt more.  I agree with Suzanne that the meds are really important now, even though the side effects stink.  I had finals 2 weeks post-op, and still was on the pain meds.  Made for some interesting presentations, but it was still necessary at that point. 

If you can't have just air under the knee, but sure it's straight.  If not, you may lose the ability to extend it.  As I understand it, losing extension is worse than losing ROM because it's much harder to gain extension back. You may already know that from your previous surgeries though.  Sorry if I say things you already know! 

-Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
yeah, i think the pain would go down if i had an ice machine as well, b/c my knee is really swollen and it has a lot of pressure inside it right now
:(
i know my mom loves me and i can see that it makes her sad to see me hurting, which in turn makes me even more sad

that must have been some interesting presentations! lol

havent started PT yet, will hopefully start soon, but i had a negative ROM so if i do lose some extension it wont be quite as major as it would be for some people

right now im really scared about the swelling, my knee is HUGE!!!!!! and it hurts from the pressure inside it :'(

sorry my responses are so random but that is how my head works and is thinking of things right now

thanks to everyone who has taken the time to either read or reply so far

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
right now im really scared about the swelling, my knee is HUGE!!!!!! and it hurts from the pressure inside it :'(

The best thing you can do for the swelling is ELEVATE...not just up on a pillow or two in front of you....Up on a mountain of pillows ABOVE YOUR HEART.  Once you get that leg up in the air do Ankle Pumps ~ move your foot forward and back/side to side.  The elevation and ankle pumps combined with Ice (never directly on your skin) should help you see improvement in the swelling.

Take Care,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
First, 2 SLRs this soon after surgery is GREAT! I'm 5 weeks out and still can't do a SLR (due to poor quad strength prior to surgery I think). The quad sets hurt me too- I think it's because they pull your patella so much- but that's the point. As for the pain meds, I'm STILL on both oxycotin (at night only although to be honest I don't think it does much) and percocet 3-4 a day. Everyone's pain level is different. I want to be off the pain meds a lot but I can't. For example, I forgot to take my evening percocet last night because we went out to a movie and it was so interesting I was distracted. I felt fine so I decided to just take my evening meds and not bother at all with my percocet. I woke up at midnight after about 2 hours of waking up every couple minutes in pain because I wasn't in a comfy position and though I was freezing my knee was swollen and in an uncomfortable position. Anyway, my point is I ended up taking the percocet and icing my knee and moving to the couch (it was the first time I'd tried sleeping in a bed at my parents house- where we are staying so they can help with my 22 month old- and the bed was just too firm/uncomfortable). I'm definitely paying for my excursion/skipping pain meds today...but it's life- unfortunately surgery is just not easy. I know how you feel with your mom not understanding. No one who has not dealt with knee issues can understand. I seriously think it has to be the worst/most painful injury there is because of how much you need your knee to do anything.

Take your meds and keep up the great work- I still think 2 SLRs on your own is amazing and with that progress already you are going to do so great!

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
 ;D im so happy right now!!!!!!! i managed to do 6 SLR's it hurt like heck but im less than 1 week post op so im hoping to be able to do 10 by 1 week post op :)

took the pain meds before i went to bed, but they wore off during the night and i couldnt get to them or my glasses :( but as soon as my om got up she helped me fix that problem :)

this morning i felt really sick and almost lost it, i was really pale and broke out in a cold yucky sweat after about 45 mins to an hower that went away thankfully!

cupcake1007 im really sorry that you cant do a SLR, but like you have said it takes time and hard work, keep at it and you will get there :D

i want to go to the mall on thursday and hang out with some of my friends, but im not that sure if it is a good idea, any input?

Offline cupcake1007

• Forum Faithful
That's great!! You're doing so awesome =) If you went to the mall would you sit in a wheelchair or walk? Just be careful of overdoing it because you'll pay for it later. Plus, you want to watch the swelling and even now (though again I'm a bad case) if I'm and around a lot I swell a ridiculous amount. So, it might be better to wait a week or two but if you're able to get a wheelchair etc it might be really good to get out! Just make sure to listen to your body- most of the time it warns you if it's time to slow down (though sometimes it likes to take me by surprise =)!

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
the mall has wheelchairs, but i really hate being in one, i would want to walk but im not sure if my mom would go for me walking around te mall that close after surgery :/ and you are right, it would prob end up swelling up really bad if i overdid it and then the next day would be reall bad. mom was scared by the ammount of swelling and she took me by the pt clinic that i volunteered at and the therapist looked at it and said that it was looking okay, and that i was doing everything okay and that it looked good, the therapist said that in addition to ice, elevation, ankle pumps, and the compression stocking, that i could put an ace wrap on it and that will hopefully help with the swelling more. also being restricted to only 30 degrees of motion in the CPM and no active motion will make it harder for the swelling to go away and it will tend to get under my patella because the back of my patella is very irritated right now

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
 ;D got 20 SLR's done in a row today! may regret it later, but i hope i dont

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
Dang!  You're doing great with the SLRs! 

I agree that the mall is a risk.  Just be aware that your friends may walk fast and far, and may not realize when you get sore or tired.  I always have to tell my Mom at the grocery store "Hey, this needs to go a bit faster.  I am tired."   How far have you walked on your crutches?  The first time I walked across campus I  barely made it!  I have weak upper body strength though, which made the crutches a pain to use!  But if you do go, be careful and be sure to rest if you don't use a wheelchair.  I'm sure there's lots of benches and chairs-take advantage of them! :)  And just make sure your friends know you aren't recovered yet and need to take it slow.  Just be careful.  You don't want to be more swollen or painful later. 

Swelling sucks, and it just takes a long time for it to go away.  And it comes back so easily once your start getting up and moving more.  Movement does help, but being restricted with the movement does make it harder. Ugh.  I had pain behind my knee from swelling, and that area gets swollen very easily even now.  Massaging helps a lot, which my PT taught me.  You could ask your PT about massaging exercises (but you haven't officially started PT, correct?).

-Jen

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
you are correct, i have not officially started PT, but i had been volunteering at a PT clinic for a while so im doing some of the at home therapy that i can tolerate right now.
mom said i might be able to go to the mall sometime soon, but she didnt give me a specific date, and with being unable to drive im kinda dependent on someone else to take me b/c the nearest mall is 25 miles away
MASSAGE helps SO much!!!!!!!!!!! i learned how to do that gently before surgery because sometimes i would be somewhere and it would start hurting really bad and if i stopped and massaged it then it would help some, and it helps a lot now esp since i cant really move my knee.
today i went to the dr for my one week post op visit, he was pleased wit the progress enough to not want to see me for 4 weeks, he said that i could set up actual PT now, but i dont have any motion yet other than in the CPM, but i can increase from 30 to 45 in the CPM.
he was really happy to see me do 1 SLR, and when i did more he told me to take it easy and not over do it (oops). he also said that the screws looked like they were holding pretty well and i should recover without too much problem. all in all he seemed pleased with my progress :)