Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A.C.I./M.A.C.I. Operation in the U.K.  (Read 7626 times)

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
A.C.I./M.A.C.I. Operation in the U.K.
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »

I have emailed a knee clinic in the U.K. asking them how much it would cost for an A.C.I. or M.A.C.I. operation.  They told me that the all-inclusive price for Genzyme Carticel ACI or MACI is 15,490 (including the hospital stay). I was told that ACI is somewhere around 9,000, not 15,490! Can anybody enlighten me on this issue?

Also, I told them that I would be travelling, and they told me that they advise their patients not to fly for a full month after the second implantation surgery. Wow! Anybody with travelling experience after this operation?

Offline tundi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: A.C.I./M.A.C.I. Operation in the U.K.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
Hi,

I've just had MACI as Spire Bushey under BUPA and the statements I've received so far for both stages total around 10500. By the time you factor in some additional physio and a few more follow up appointments with the consultant then the total will be around the 11000 mark.
Apr 10 RK - 2nd Stage MACI
Feb 10 RK scope - biopsy for MACI
Dec 09 RK scope - debridement
Feb 08 RK - plate removal
Feb 07 RK  - 2nd Stage MACI & Distal Femoral Osteotomy
Jan 07 RK - scope - biopsy for MACI
Jul 06 RK scope - debridement & Microfracture
Nov 02 RK scope - debridement

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:49:47 AM »
Thanks Tundi for your reply.

Who was the doctor who did the operation? I hope everything is going well. With this info, I can once again start to consider coming to the UK for the operation.

If anybody else has any idea of how much this operation costs in other hospitals, their input would be appreciated.

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
Any reason why the UK versus other countries in europe? If you are in US...most insurance covers ACI if you are eligible i think.....not sure MACI is done in the US yet

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »
I'm not from the U.S., and the health care costs are really high over there. Actually, I'm from Canada, and I've tried to find ACI/MACI services in my country, but to no avail.

I am open to doing the operation in another European country, especially if its cheaper. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'll be open to them. But the thing that attracts me to going to the UK is that I know enough people over there. That helps a lot.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 05:38:36 PM »
I don't know the costs of MACI at the hospitals here, but I've spent probably somewhere in the region of 2,000 on physio treatments alone.  Add in the gym membership fees and so on, it comes to more than the 500 extra that Tundi indicated for follow-up.  Not sure of ballpark estimates take into account different complexities, e.g. difficult locations, large areas, kissing lesions etc.  Maybe you could email for a breakdown.

As for travel, the advice is not to fly for at least two weeks even for arthroscopy.  Heard of a 24 year old exec who died from DVT because of flying within this window.  Depending on where your defect is location and on the surgeon's protocol you may need to use a CPM extensively for 6 weeks, which ties you down anyway.  Also helps to have leg elevated to manage swelling.

I've heard that they can do M/ACI arthroscopically in Italy and Germany, depending on where the defect is.  You may find recovery is a bit easier from this option, but I haven't heard of many reporting on this.  There is CARes which is being done in Wales I think, but don't know much about it.

Good luck with your search!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
Thanks for your response, Rennschnecke.

I would assume that it would be difficult to travel for about a month or 6 weeks after ACI.

What is CARes in Wales?

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:02:03 AM »
CARes (sp?) is a 3rd/4th/5th ? generation ACI.  It involves a membrane of some sort and either mini-incision or arthroscopy.  I can't really recall.  However, someone on the board posted about this a while ago and I think their recovery was significantly faster (like half the time if my memory is correct).  I believe it was a trial at Aberystwyth (Wales).

Probably the best thing to do is type 'CARes'/'CARES' in the search box for this site and see what turns up.  Beyond this it's probably worth a Google combined with ACI as a term.

I stress that I'm drawing on memory here and after 18 months of crutches, pain and rehab I'd say it has a good chance of being dodgy!

Hope you find something that fits your needs.  ;D
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »
Thank you Rennschnecke.

There's so much exciting technology coming out now; it's just a matter of results becoming more documented, and these treatments becoming more available to us.

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: A.C.I./M.A.C.I. Operation in the U.K. - CARES US Trial
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
Here is the CARes thread, just found it by searching the site, I've bookmarked it to read myself later

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33098.0

Regards

Andrew
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »
Thanks Andrew.

Somebody posted something in the general post section recently which I found very interesting:

http://www.cellcotec.com/index.php

Thought you might find this interesting...

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
Indeed interesting but too early to consider seriously, I went back and looked at the CARES trial which did not appear to have approval to proceed further from FDA, personally I don't care how many procedures are involved, I just want to have the best result and so far MACI seems to be the best for me, I now have date for stage II, 23rd Aug, its nine weeks after harvest because the company that's taken over growing the cells wanted a bit more time which is fine by me although I would have preferred sooner.

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »
Broxy - where your cells sent to Denmark as far as you are aware? or do RNOH now use a compnay with UK to do the cell growing?

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
I think so but will check as its a new bunch doing them now for Stanmore which is apparently why we have to wait 8 weeks rather than six to get them back for stage II.

Offline Goldigger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
Hi had my 2nd stage maci done last tuesday on my left knee, along with an arthoroscopy on my right knee. Torn Meniscus on both knee's.
I waited 6 weeks from the 1st stage to having the matrix implanted..I had this done at Stanmore under Dr Skinner.
Im sure it was Dr Miles who performed the 2nd stage..

Now im stuck on these crutches!! :(

support