Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nervous....Surgery is a definite : /  (Read 956 times)

Offline sweetheart0517

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Nervous....Surgery is a definite : /
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »
Well I had a LR and debridement on my left knee about 5 years ago and now it looks like I'm set to have my right one done in three weeks! I have a chip in my knee cap and a crack from a chair lift accident while sking last year so he is going to go in and do the Lr, theclean up the crack and chip and smooth out my knee cap he said its pretty chopped up. I'm super nervous mostly about the anestesia.  :-[ :-\
I remember what to kinda expect from my last surgery but its been so long. I'm not really nervous about the IV I have had many of them now so am not really nervous about that. Ugh just the anestesia. Can anyone give me any advice on that and any help would be awesome I'm super scared. Will it hurt more from him shaving my knee and fixing the crack. I dunno I guess I just need to talk to some people who know where I am now....
Lateral release 1-12-2005
Pt for what feels like forever...

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Nervous....Surgery is a definite : /
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:11:36 AM »
So sorry to hear about your injury and pending surgery. :( I'm also facing surgery for the consequences of a skiing accident, though it's an ACL reconstruction in my case.

I can't offer you any advice on what to expect from your surgery, but just wanted to sympathize with you about fear of the anaesthetic. I've never had one before, and am dreading it. I've heard from friends that it's a lot better than it used to be and they're pretty good about things like giving you anti-emetics if you have a reaction, but I'm still very nervous about it. I just don't like the idea of being out cold, and really groggy for ages after I come round.

Good luck - I hope things work out for you and the surgery goes smoothly. Do you know when it will be?
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
Let them put the needle in the back of your hand and then close your eyes - don't do any of the counting down or anything like that - when you open your eyes, it will all be over...

We ended up discussing politics as they were knocking me out - but stopped as they put the second lot of stuff in - make sure they give you an anti-emetic (sickness) drug as that always helps when waking up. 

Let the anaethetist know you are nervous and you'll be fine - think of how good it will be when it's all over and done with - and hey, GOOD LUCK

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
If you don't want general anesthesia, ask for local. Once I discovered the magic that is local anesthesia, I would never have general unless I had to. If you don't mind an IV, you won't have any problems with a local/spinal. Then, you can choose to stay awake for the procedure or be sedated (like sleep--NOT like in general anesthetic) to either sleep or some stage of twilight.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Hi There,

The GA was also worrying me alot before my knee surgery as I had bad experiences as a child with GA at the Dentist being knocked out with sleeping gas which was really awful at the time. These days they do not use gas but inject the GA, unless they cannot find a vain to inject into, then they might use gas but is very rare these days.

You will find that the theatre staff will treat you in a very nice way if they know you nervous about the GA. The staff were fantastic at the hospital I had my surgery at and knew I was nervous so one of the nurses held my hand just before they injected the GA. I found just before you fall asleep is a pleasant feeling and other members have said the same thing.

But I understand you do not want a GA, so maybe have a spinal instead as mmrocker13 suggested and can discuss it with the anesthetist. I was knocked out for 2 hours and felt ok when I woke up just had a slight headache and sore throat, the drugs they use these days are great compared to what they used years ago.

Good luck with your surgery, you will be fine.

Nick  :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support