Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Apparent Miraculous healing of loose ligament  (Read 2729 times)

Offline kneesurgeonvictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Apparent Miraculous healing of loose ligament
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:48:27 AM »
Good news (perhaps)! After a positive test for ligament laxity at ***** Knee Clinic in 2008, and a Consultant in late 2009 reporting that I had evidence of cruciate ligament damage and laxity and no without an operation to correct looseness, another consultant at ***** Knee Clinic I went to see for a second opinion appears to have cured ligament laxity by the laying on of hands on my left knee, reporting to my GP that 'I have no ligament laxity'. Can ligaments heal spontaneously?  :o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:36:06 AM by kneesurgeonvictim »

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Apparent Miraculous healing of loose ligament
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »
That is absolute rubbish !

Get another opinion.

Once you have loose ligaments you can't change it.

I've got hypermobility and loose ligaments. Also a sports trainer and Allied Health Assistant. Once you tear or sprain a ligament it will stay that way unless surgically repaired.

Would really urge you to either see a sports physician or another OS.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »
I really would recommend that you go somewhere other than Droitwich as you've obviously got issues with the clinic. 

Do some research - find yourself a new clinic and a new consultant and maybe a completely fresh pair of eyes, without looking at your previous medical records may help

J

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
Hi there,

I would suggest going to see a sports physician. Whereabouts do you live ?

Also have a list of some top knee surgeons in London and other parts of the UK.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »
You definitely need to get this double-checked. Following a nasty injury four years ago I was told three times by doctors that I showed no evidence of any ligament damage. When I finally saw a fourth doctor as a result of the persistent pain and instability from the injury, it turned out the knee was very lax and he was sure I had a partial ACL tear. I went to work with a PT who also picked up on the laxity immediately.

The problem is that it's very hard for doctors to properly assess the laxity of a ligament with manual tests unless you're totally relaxed. With the earlier tests I was fairly recently injured and very nervous about how much they might hurt, so I found it very hard to relax - one of the doctors even commented on how tense I was. A history of knee problems and concern about pain do make it tough to relax during tests - I still don't always manage it.

If you've had a positive test in the past, it's highly unlikely to have fixed itself. I'd encourage you to get another opinion, or an MRI to take a closer look at the ligaments.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
OK, so you've been told you have no laxity, but does your knee feel any different to how it was when you were told you had laxity?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:15:38 PM »
I'm no doctor, but the only cruciate ligament I ever hear of being treated without surgery is the MCL. The rest, once snapped or stretched, are that way for the duration.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
If the ACL is loose, can it be tightened, or do they have to borrow from other tendons etc.?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
Prolotherapy mgith be able to tightene it but that could cause other problems lbecause it won't be strneghtened.  You'd need a knew one if what you want is a perfectly normal ACL.

You can see from my previous posts that I've fretted over what to do about the laxiy in my ACl and for the moment I've gone down the conservative route and it seems to be working.  When I had a scope my surgeon said I didn't need a replacement but I often questioned this when I had stability issues and wondered if somehow my acl could be weaker since it never had stability problems pre-op.  However with lots of exercise my laxity has dcreased and I can picot again, though still not as good as before.  the main thing is though, that I've had Lachmans after lachmans and it does seem to be less lax now than it was around xmas and there isn't enough movement going on to cause any trouble as long as I keep up with the exercises.  The annoying thing is that I've got to do these possibly for the rest of my life though my pt assures me that once I've got where I want to be with them once per day will maintain strength so i won't always have to do them 3 times a day.  If i twasn't for the painful sprain in my other leg I'd probably be back doing Karate, gently easing myself back into training.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support