Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: torn acl,sprain,acl bucket tear & torn manisca  (Read 3250 times)

Offline cincbrenda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
torn acl,sprain,acl bucket tear & torn manisca
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:29:44 AM »
My right knee gave out on me a month ago and resulted in a torn acl, a sprain, a acl bucket tear and a partial tear in the manisca. I really dont know much about knee injuries and am hoping someone can explain all of this to me and kind of let me know what i will be looking forward to. I am waitng now for the ortho clinic to call me back with an apointment.I have been in a severe amount of pain for the last month and can not straiten my leg. It is also swollen with fluid and bows to the left when I walk.

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
Re: torn acl,sprain,acl bucket tear & torn manisca
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »
Hi Cinc and welcome,

I think your a little bit confused when it comes to your injury.

You''ve torn your acl, which is considered a sprain, Grade 1 isn't too bad of a tear, grade 2 sprain is considered more severe and a grade 3 sprain is a complete rupture.

The "bucket handle" tear is your meniscus tear. It simply means that you have torn your meniscus in a shape the resembles a bucket handle.  Was it your medial meniscus you tore ?

I am 4 months (today) off a (suspected) ruptured ACL, Ruptured MCL and a torn Medial Meniscus, known as the terrible triad. I have been doing intensive pt since about 2-3 weeks post injury and I am still in pain daily. I have the swelling, not as bad mind you but, it's still there. I still can't straighten my leg completly, they believe it's from some Meniscial tissue or ACL stump being stuck in my joint but, they're worried about my ROM after  surgery which is scheduled for some time in July. Too bad that you've had such a wait for the OS but, as you'll come to learn, ACL is just a patience injury... it will slowly get better but don't expect to be better anytime soon!

Don't mean to scare you but, that's how my post injury has gone so far, just waiting for surgery now.

Tony
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:35:50 AM »
5 1/2 months ago I dislocated my knee resulting in a torn acl, pcl, fcl, torn meniscus, and surrounding damage. I am still waiting for reconstruction due to lack of ROM, but it has gotten better. After my meniscus was 95% removed (not ideal), I developed scar tissue and I am trying to work through that before ligament and post lateral corner reconstruction. I was unable to bear weight for a while. My best advice is to find a dr. that you have confidence in, and don't let physical therapy "crank" on your leg. This happened to me which caused more trauma, more swelling, hotness, etc. Now I do long stretching amd massaging which has been very beneficial. The body heals in amazing ways, listen to your body, and find a good dr. Best wishes to you!
I would also be careful about weight bearing if your leg is bowing. I know it is important to keep strength but bowing doesn't sound too good.
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

Offline cincbrenda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »
 :PThanks for responding! I am totally confused about my injury for sure. I have seen three different types of doctors so thank goodness I go to see the OS june the 30th. Even with the MRI they cant seem to agree what all is wrong. Thanks for the advise about the streatching exercises also as it has worked wonders. I can straiten my leg a little more each day. All the docters can seem to agee on is," well take these pain pills untill you see the OS." Like wow how many do they expect a person to take! The pain is not really the issue, its getting back to my active lifestyle.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
I have learned that this whole type of injury [ligament ruptures] is a lesson in patients its 2 years ago theat I ruptured my acl but it was only diagnosed after a scope in Jan, so the fact that you have a diagnosis is a good start, so the important thing for you now is to get the leg straight, as you most probably have surgery in your future and most o.s will only do the surgery after you have full extension do you have a good p.t cos you need someone overseeing your excersises to make sure you are not doing more damage while trying to get the leg straight
hope this helps a little take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline cincbrenda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »
I have been exercising my knee everyday.I can get it strait but it feels like something is in the wrong place or blocking it.The pain is also almost gone also but it is still doing this popping thing and it feels like it is going to give out again. I am usually a very active person therefore not getting all my exercise is killing me. I have never been able to sit still for ten mins. I so want to throw on the roller blades!! Thank goodness for the swimming pool!The pool is a great place to exercisie and feels great. No skating, hiking, biking or running :'(! Man what a boring summer! Wow I can go fishing but if I get a really big one how do I get it in? Hmmmmm!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
It may be that the torn meniscus is blocking your knee from straightening fully, or a piece of the torn ACL is in the way. Or it could be scar tissue or the remains of the swelling from the injury - I had real trouble straightening my leg for quite a long time due to swelling in the joint. Are you working with a physiotherapist? They can help with suggestions while you wait to see the OS, and give you tips for bringing any swelling down.

I know just what you mean about the frustration that goes with not being able to exercise. I nearly went crazy after I tore my ACL and was on very restricted activities. Swimming kept me sane and fortunately I was able to cycle again before too long, but now it's summer I really miss playing tennis and being able to kick a soccer ball around in the park. My ACL reconstruction is scheduled for July 9th, so I'm going to be completely laid up again soon - what great timing, eh? I may actually have to start watching TV.  :-\

Take care, and keep plugging away at it - I remember when it felt like I'd never be able to bend the leg or get reasonable movement back, but with persistence things did improve.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support