Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: CRYO CUFF  (Read 4793 times)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
CRYO CUFF
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:10:39 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the self contained cryocuff thats the one that you dont need the cooler for.
I am having a scout around looking for some sort of cooler compresion thingy for my upcoming aclr surgery and have seen the one with the cooler and the one without and wonderd if anyone has an oppinion of which is best.
Sorry if this should be posted somewerel else but I wasn't sure where to post it
Thanks in advance take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: CRYO CUFF
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »
Can you provide a link for the cryocuff without cooler? I'm on the aircast site and don't see such a product.

for what its worth, i have the cryocuff with autochill so it has the motor for cycling the water and offering compression and i would totally recommend it for anyone considering an ice machine purchase. i was able to use a game ready and the polar unit for comparison and i still like my cryocuff. well, the game ready was of course awesome, but it is expensive and only available with a script i believe. the cryocuff isn't too bad on the wallet, especially if covered on insurance, and not having to bother with changing the ice out for hours, along with the compression, is pretty sweet. to me, the polar unit was l-o-u-d and didn't seem to stay cold as long for me.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:14:16 AM »
thanks for the reply sorry I have no idea how to provide a link it takes me all my time to do the basics on the computer ???
I found the product with the other cryocufs in the physio room link at the side of the KG page I think it may be a British company, not too sure.
To be honest I think I will go for the one with the cooler just wondered if the other one was worth considering as it was working out a bit less expensive and it is more portable as it is not attached to anything.
I really appreciate your input take care Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:16:32 AM »
Here is a link I found: http://www.buyaircast.com/product/11ASC.html

I had the regular cryocuff with the autochill feature for after my surgeries. I bought mine off of Ebay for a lot cheaper than retail. The woman I bought it from was great and answered any questions I had on how to use it. I never thought I would get so much use out of it. I liked the fact that the compression went away and came back as the cuff refilled with ice water.  If anyone ever has a fasciotomy surgery with scar tissue removal, do not use the cryocuff. The last thing your leg wants is to be compressed. It seems obvious now, but in a post-surgical drugged enhanced state I thought it would feel good. Not at all.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:27:24 AM »
Ah I see now, thanks for the link I must have missed that on the aircast site. That unit looks pretty cool, but I would point the following out:

- ice/water still needs to be changed every hour
- no compression

To me, because of how the cuff fits, it only cools the front of the leg anyway. I would just as likely go with bags of frozen peas if its a cost issue for why to choose the autochill and cooler versus the self-contained unit. Either way you are changing the cold therapy solution every hour, but with the peas method, you have a nice large contoured bag that you can just swap out and its cheaper than the cryo-unit.

If it's not a money issue, then I would go with the cooler and autochill. With the cooler you can get a quoted 8 hours before changing the cooler. For me in practice, it really only lasted for about 4-6 hours, but still better then getting up to change it every hour (or less). I got up and moved around pretty much every hour on the hour after my surgery, but I (and my mom) still appreciated not having to change the ice/water in the cooler nonetheless.

I see a lot of people getting units off ebay, which is definitely a more cost effective solution. Me personally, I wasn't interested in going that route, just didn't want someone else's cuff around my leg in an area I'm trying to keep free from infection. When considering a used unit, I knew I would still want to purchase a new cuff.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 04:10:02 AM »
Thanks so much for the info you lovely people I think I am pretty sure I will go for the one with the cooler the difference in price is not that much for the convenience of not having to change the ice too often especially if home alone .
Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »
Tez,

Do you want to borrow mine? My knee isn't being chopped yet, and if I have the foot op done then I think I'll be managing with simple ice packs and a towel as it is a smaller area to get the ice on and hopefully I might just go for simple scoping and be back up and about quickly  (have visions of freezing my toes off if the whole foot gets iced!!  :o). Cosmic has it currently but we could easily post it up to you for your impending ACLr.  ;D 

Its the knee cuff in Medium and the cooler unit.

Lottie xx :D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Hi Tez, just putting in my 10 pence worth  ;) I got the cuff with cooler and it was great.  I got big bags of ice which you can buy from supermarkets or even some local shops, filled it up once a day and that was that.  It really helped me get my swelling down and soothed when it was sore and was much more convenient than the ice packs I struggled with for the first few weeks.  I would definitely recommend getting one/borrowing Lotties. x
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice I really apreciate you all taking the time for little old me :D :D
Lottie you are soooooo sweet to offer me your cryocuff but my lovely hubby has decided to but me my very own ;D slightly out of character for him but I aint complaining lol,  I think the reality of this surgery is sinking in now that we know it will be sooner rather than later, but thank you soo soo soo much for the offer (((hug)))
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:10:41 PM »
I have just recieved my cryo cuff through the mail today I decided to order it in plenty of time for my surgery, as we are going on holiday at the end of this month and hope to have my surgery some time in July anyway I orderd a medium but they have sent me a large, could you kind people tell me if I should send it back and ask them to change it for the medium or does it not make much difference, and would the large work just as well. I have tried it for size and it dosen't feel too loose cos you can tighten up the velcro but this is before any water has been put in.
Advice appreciated Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:37:28 PM »
Perhaps try it with some water in and see what it feels like. Remember you'll have some swelling too, so the Large might not make a massive difference. I think its a question of comfort! I guess what you don't want is for it to be so large it falls down if you move about with it on (attached to a trolley system!!)....

How exciting - your very own Cryo Cuff.  ;D 8)

Who needs shoes eh?  :P

Lottie x :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »
Aint it strange how excited one can get about getting a cryo cuff it feels like I have a fantastic new outfit or something :P
As my daughter would say MUM YOUR JUST SO SAD
Lottie I didn't want to put water through it in case I decide to send it back but I think it should be ok with the velcro etc, so I may keep it, plus as you said if I have a lot of swelling then I may need the bigger one
Thanks for the advice Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Hoooray you got one  :) :) :)

Did you order it over the phone or via email.  Basically do you have anything that proves you requested a medium?  If so I'd keep it but you can always contest it if it IS too big because they didn't provide you with what you asked for.  I got a medium but should have got a small.  I over tightened the velcro straps and now the velcro-ness (oh yes) has worn and slips a bit.  :'( I don't even use it much anymore  (hooraaaay  ;D) but it still annoys me that I didn't get a smaller one!  ::)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline MOSKC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
New to the cite.  48 yr old athletic active male.  I hate to throw a bit a caution into this discussion.  I just had ACLr and medial meniscus tear repair.  After surgery, my original OS had a cooler wrapped inside the dressing.  Per the OS, I was told to run the machine as often as I could keep running.  However, after two days of therapy, I developed a large area of frostbite characterized by a large sized blister and streaks of purplish skin.  All settings were originally set by my OS.  I was admitted to the hospital about a week after the original surgery with calf pain and diagnosed with DVT.    According to all treating physicians, new OS & Fam Med, the frostbite and resultant DVT was caused by the Cold Cooler therapy.  I was hospitalized 4 -5 days for clotting and wound treatment.  I was released to home care.  However, three days or so later, my right calf became extremely swollen and the surround skin extremely tight.  The pain was beyond comparison to anything I've ever experienced previously in my life.  Having undergone two back surgeries, one fusion, I am no stranger to pain.  Morpheine only provided limited relief.  I presented to the ER where severe compartmental syndrome was diagnosed.  I had little time and was taken for emergency surgery.  My new OS performed a fasciotomy to relieve the compartmental syndrome.  My calf was situated in a vacumn bandages and the would remained open for approximately three days in total.  I was then taken back to the OR to stitch up the wound.  The pain was relieved after surgery.  It's a very complicated situation, but I felt you should know.  There is a class action already proceeding in Texas.  A little interenet research will uncover these proceedings.  Good luck.  MOSKC

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
MOSKC-

Sorry you've been through so much. I have had similar experiences (but to a much lesser degree than you have had to deal with!!), but I took a different path getting there. I have a large dark bruise-like scar from frostbite on the back of my leg from a gel ice pack that my PT applied when I was using the E-Stim machine. I was lucky that it did not blister or seem to permanently affect any nerves. I had a variant of chronic exertional compartment syndrome this past Fall caused by scar tissue that formed on the muscle fascia after my ACLr surgery. My main complaint was tingling and complete numbness of my lower leg after exercise, but I did get that intense throbbing pain a few times. My pain only lasted a few minutes but I came close to calling my OS several times,  I can't imagine dealing with that pain if it was constant and did not stop. Since it was not acute, my fasciotomy was able to be closed right away. Unfortunately it appears to be scarring over again so I may need to redo the surgery.

I read the class action suits you referred to in your post. I guess, the lesson is that we all have to not blindly trust our OSs and PTs when it comes to something that seems as simple as icing. In general, the advice that I've gotten here has been that if you think something is going wrong it probably is and you should trust your instincts. You know your body better than anyone else. The OSs know what should happen and often seem to go with the probabilities of the situations rather than looking at the individual situation.

I hope the rest of your recovery starts to get a bit easier for you.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy