Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Frustrated after microfracture surgery  (Read 17606 times)

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Frustrated after microfracture surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
Wow, that's awesome that you walked across the floor 30feet. I know what you mean about the psychological fear. I am scared to death. Last week in the OS office I tried to walk a few feet and every step I took I had sharp pain where he did the surgery. So he said to wait two more weeks of nwb. I know that some pain is normal, but I don't think sharp pain is normal. Did you every have sharp pain while walking. I just get so frustrated because that sharp pain that I felt I never felt before the surgery. All I had was aching and soreness. That's what gets me so mad. I went in for a meniscal tear and ended up with this. But from what I've read I'm not the first person to have this happen to them. Also, your defect is lateral and mine is medial (weight bearing). I think that's why I had more pain with walking than you did. I feel like this is a nightmare that will never end. I just want to get back to my life.
Debbie

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
Hi,

Lateral defects can also be weightbearing, it is the spot on the condyle that creates the issue, regardless of lateral or medial location. I have a 1.5cm squared medial lesion (grade 4) on the medial condyle. It aches at times and if I hit the wrong angle it hurts. I think after MFX sharp pain can happen - after all the surgeon has drilled holes in your bone and that is going to hurt with weight on it. I was recommended MFX for my lesion but decided against it (I am 41, want to be able to do impact work etc etc, plus my patella defects cause me more trouble..) and my OS said that people often have pain way after the period of non weight bearing...but gradually it goes......

You are not alone unfortunately in your surprise MFX experience. I know surgeons feel they are helping but it can be doubly frustrating to go in expecting a tear, and come out with MFX especially if you weren't have symptoms much before from the defect.

hang in there, MFX can be a long recovery. Remember that the muscles will also have weakened and that doesn't help with creating any form of natural brace for the knee to work in, hence more pain loading onto the spot thats sore.

Hope things get better soon

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Hola Deb

Claro que hablo espaņol, soy 100 por ciento panameņo!!!

Call me crazy but I would prefer to live in a cold climate!!! I like it more!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus ive always wanted to play football in snow.. seems so much fun

The comment made some posts ago makes sense, basically the surgeon has "broken" your leg in order to fix it.. although a very small hole.

And even though my MRI showed a meniscal leasion.. the doc said that both meniscus are fine (even the one that he operated on 10 years ago, which was a welcomed suprise).  So even the best doctors can get wrong diagnosis from mris

I also am 100 % sure most of the trouble is psicological the lesion will heal to some extent but you have to "let go" mentally...

Well deb, I had one misshap, I accidentally stepped on my crocs with my crutch and went to fell down, and put the leg down almost with full force but it didint hurt at all.. so that it a mental hurdle passed

I have a friend that also did this surgery, he does whatever he wants right now but he told me that its a long process... first you have to deal with the crutches then regain balance then regain strenght.. is complicated!

even though when I write that I am doing 7 pounds on pt may sound a lot that very little for what I want to do.. I need to do at least 150+ pounds (using both legs) to get my legs as strong as they used to be, and that takes time.

I just want to get out of the crutches and start going to the gym (I started going yesterday, it was complicated but it felt so goooood haha) and just get back into my daily routine... when I hit 4 months post op i'll see where i am at!!!!

impossible is nothing!!!!

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
Hi Deb!

Just wondering how you are doing!!!

Later!

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
Hey I'm actually going to the doc today and hopefully I can start walking I have to wean off the crutches for two weeks I use both crutches for one week one crutch then I'm on my own wish me luck how are things with you?

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:49 PM »
I am glad to hear that!

I am also going to the doctor today to eliminate both crutches!!! Hope everything goes well kind of nervous!

I took the rest of the week of so I can Ice the knee like every 10 seconds!!!! we'll see what happens!!

Good luck!!!

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Best of luck to both of you!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:39 AM »
Well, crutches are off!!!!!!!!!

I can walk "funny" but not a limp... no pain at all.. just a little discomfort, but I guess that because of not walking in two months...

I am very happy because the "snapping" I had everytime when I would start walking SEEMS like its gone away ... i tried to walk up and down the stairs... no pain !!!

This is very positive, but I wanna wait tomorrow to see if it swells... but im really happy for the results right now...

now comes the hard part.. really rehabilitating the injury...!!!!

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »
Hey Everyone,
Hope you are doing ok? I went to the ortho this past Tues. I assumed that he would let me try to walk again with the straight leg brace. He walks into the room and says "how are you feeling?". I said pretty good, my range is motion is excellent, my swelling and stiffness are minimal and I have no pain. Then he simply said that he wanted to wait until I get the custom fit unloader brace before I can walk. He said it would  take about 7 to 10 days. I was very frustrated because I couldn't understand why he wouldn't just let me walk with the straight brace until the unloader brace comes in. It just doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing I can think of is that he is just being really cautious with me, and he probably figures that the unloader brace will be less stressful on my joint than the straight brace. Just two weeks prior to this visit I had tried to walk with the straight brace and I had quite a bit of pain. So, my the time I get the unloader brace, I will have been non weight bearing for about 8 and 1/2 weeks. That seems like a really long time to me. However, if you read Dr Steadmans protocol for microfracture, he recommends 8 weeks of non weight bearing. So, I guess that's still within reason. I just worry about loss of muscle strength. All I have been allowed to do are straight leg raises and quad sets. I'm getting an exercise bike soon, so that will help. I gotta say that I am very nervous about walking. Considering that I had very little pain before the surgery, I really hope that I don't have a lof of pain or I will probably feel very discouraged. The rehab for this surgery seems quite extensive however. And I've read that it can take up to and year and 1/2 before you reach full recovery. I feel like I'm going crazy because Im already researching other options if the microfracture doesn't take. I think OATS is the best way to go, but who knows. Anyways, I guess it's one day at a time. Peace.

Offline poikiloid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • be nice to your knees
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
Hi Deb,
According to a few recent medical journal articles, I think it's becoming more common to use an unloader brace for a while once FWB. Do you know if you have any bow-leggedness, as it is even more recommended in that case.

Don't be surprised if you have knee pain for 6 months to a year postop. That's microfracture: slow slow slow. The knee is supposed to continue improving up to 2 years postop. The advantage is it's a more minor surgery than the OATS you mentioned. There is a lot of research going on, hopefully options that are much better than BOTH of these will be available in the next 10 years.  Keep your leg muscles, esp quad, in good strength, and your microfracture results should last a long time though. Steadman has already published patients doing fine after 17 years.

I have some questions about the unloader brace, if you wouldn't mind looking: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=51941.0
medial femoral condyle grade 4 articular cartilage "flap"-type lesion in r. knee, 1 cm diam (not arthritic: acute-trauma-like lesion, but unknown cause) diagnosed 2/2010 (age 28)
microfracture 4/2010
rehab based on Steadman protocol

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
Nursedeb & Saints21 ... wondering how you are both doing @ this point post MFX surgery?

I am now almost 4 weeks post MFX + ACLr and meniscal trim, but its the MFX thats daunted me most!  :o
29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
Hello!!

Well I am doing fine!! I've already played two flag football games with no problem whatsoever.. no swelling or pain afterwards  (I am not running, since I play QB I just throw the ball).  I've run, but still dont want to force the knee too much

still trying to regain muscle, long way off!!

But now I sprained my back haha!! cant catch a breaj!! I hope you are all doing all right!!!!

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
Hi Saints

Tomorrow I can start PWB with 2 crutches, this to continue for another 2 weeks.

Much like Nursedeb, no weights allowed during exercises, and only start bicycle in week 6, so its a fairly conservative protocol but not as prescriptive as some I have seen which require NWB for 8 week. I would be going nuts by then!!!  ::) As it is, this is very frustrating and a test of my patience.  :-[

I have decided there will be no running in my future, and just to protect my knee as much as I can. I definitely do not want to be staring a TKR in the face anytime soon, if ever!

I am glad to hear you are doing so well.
29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »
I  never run, I like more bicycle or eliptic machine

That being said, my basketball days are over!! just gonna play flag football because I can just sit back in the pocker and throw the ball..!!

Offline hikerhef

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 03:12:10 AM »
hi there..patience patience patience is the word..let your micrfrature heal..