Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture Surgery Recovery - Help!  (Read 3580 times)

Offline messie_jessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture Surgery Recovery - Help!
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
Hi all

I had microfracture surgery on my right knee 3 weeks ago. It was the second time I've undergone microfracture on that knee following 20 years of intensive skiing leading to a chondral defect on the bottom of my tibia. The first microfracture failed after 4 years and this is my last chance of recovery before progressing to a knee replacement - which as an active 27 year old, would not be a good solution for me.

Since the surgery, my knee appears to have been healing well. I am non-weight bearing on crutches for 6-8 weeks and have been put on total bed rest by my surgeon to allow the soft tissues to recover. However, over the last week a new symptom has appeared. On 3 evenings this week my knee has become exceedingly hot, glowing pink and radiating heat. It feels very swollen when it gets like this and it's hard to move at all. The heat seems to be spreading to my ankle joint and up and down my shin. I've been trying to cool it down with cold flannels. but the only thing that seems to help is to sleep it off.

Has anyone else experienced this after microfracture? Is it normal? Or should I be going back to my doctor?

All help gratefully received!
Medial meniscus right knee microfracture 2006
Medial femoral condyle right knee microforacture 2010

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Microfracture Surgery Recovery - Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
My knee kept getting really hot after my chrondoplasty.  It was like an oven.  Even as far on as 8 or 9 weeks post op it got hotand the pt was really worried it had failed. At 10 weeks the OS sent me for an mri at 15 weeks it proved that it had not failed  I took plenty of NSAIDs and used lots and lts of ice and eventually it went away.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »
I think that if this is a new symptom and you've had several weeks without the heat/extra swelling/pinkness then it would be worth checking things with your surgeon. Do you feel OK in yourself? Does your temperature rise when the knee gets hot? Do you have any extra pain at these times? Any extra sensitivity to the touch? Have you been using compression stockings since the op? It may just be that you have started to do a bit more and the knee is reacting - but personally given the fact it is moving into your shin and calf and is happening regularly I'd get it checked out.

Better safe than sorry in my view...

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline messie_jessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:27:32 AM »
Thanks for your advice guys. I've spoken to the nurse this morning who reckons the heat and discolouration is caused by nerve damage from the nerves severed during the operation. Apparently its a normal part of the healing process and should settle down soon - let's hope so!
Medial meniscus right knee microfracture 2006
Medial femoral condyle right knee microforacture 2010

Offline hikerhef

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:16:18 AM »
hello,

please keep posting your progress..as i have a similatr choice to make

My story:
45 male, very active. 10 years ago - bucket tear meniscus - othro removed entir emedial meniscus. 5 years ago microfracture and acl replacement - been pain free and very active unitl last month - now swelling, terrible knee pain, can't even walk flight of stairs. 2 opinions - 1 ortho recommends oxford partial knee replecement, other recommends arthro surgery to evaluate - will do a debridgement or another micorfracute - wants to delay replacement as long as possible. Thoughts or Advice? I thin i will get a third opinion as well. My goal is to be able to remain pysically active - hike, bike, weights etc. I have given up running

support