Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Grade 4 ostioarthritis  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Andipat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grade 4 ostioarthritis
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
I was diagnosed with grade 4 ostioarthritis in the patello femeral joint of the right knee 3 years ago when i was 30, this was found after i had a locked knee after a fall.
I had an arthroscopy done but since then i have not been able to kneel down, squat and also bend my knees to pick things up.
My knee also now gives way very easily and at the moment I'am off work due to injury from falling over, i'am off to see my consultant who performed the original surgery and i'm not sure what can be done next. I have also now got back problems due to not lifting with a straight back and bent knees and have had to have steriod injections in the facet joints. I'am constantly in pain what else can be done. I was told that the grading only goes to 5 which would result in TKR but they would be reluctant to do this as i'am only 33. I also have grade 2 in the left knee and have also had an arthroscopy on this knee with the same result, i have 2 young children and really could do with advice on what options there are i havent heard of yet.  :(

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Grade 4 ostioarthritis
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that.  It is especially ahrd with knee problems when you are young.  People who need new knees can't have them because of their age and it really isn't fair because a young person's life can be ruioned by knee problems and they've got to live through it for so much longer.  However you could find a consultant who is prepared to do a knee replcaement privately.  There are some OS's out there who understand the problems of younger patients but it is rare on the NHS.

There are treatments like OATS, ACI and MACI and also cartifill.  I don't know much about these but I'm sure there are many on this board that can help.  In the short term there are injections like sinvisc and cortisone but their usefulness is seriously debatable.

All the best
Kscope
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
If your arthritis is isolated to the Patella Femoral Compartment then you might want to look into a Patella Femoral Joint Replacement (PFJR).  It is a partial replacement of only the patella femoral compartment.

Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »
I'm 36 and I have OA in my right knee, at Grade 5, on my PFJ - so a little worse than you.
I've had OATS on my Medial Femoral Condyle (MFC) - already, as well as an ACL repair on my right knee.

Next Wednesday I'm going into hospital for a Fulkerson to relieve some of the pressure on my patella everytime I walk/move etc. The surgeon is undecided about whether to do an OATS at the same time due to my previous OATS and also due to the relatively poor success rate.

There are many things that can be done successfully, before they will even think about replacement. I also seem to recall that they will only do a TKR when multiple compartments of the knee are damaged, so you've got lots of life left in you yet!

Good luck and keep us informed
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

Offline hikerhef

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:04:07 AM »
hello - hang in there. I had grade 4 as well. Had microfrature and acl repacement 5 years ago..got 5 additonal years out of my knee. Just started having pain and swellin this last month. Consideirng a partial knee replacement or 2nd microfracture..for you why a TKR?

Offline hikerhef

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 03:06:04 AM »
hang in there - i had a grade 4 at age 40 - had micorfracture - got 5 years from my knee..now considering a partila knee replacement or another microfracture..why a TKR for u?

support