Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Up in the air!  (Read 896 times)

Offline vickyphillips

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Up in the air!
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
Hi, I had a horse fall on to my leg as it was slightly bent about 8 weeks ago. It was agony! I went to A+E and the doctor said it was just bruised. I was convinced it was far to painfull for that so i went to my GP 5 days later and he sent me back with a suspected MCL tear. I have now had an MRI and have a grade 3 MCL tear (pulled off the tibia) a partially torn ACL and a small fracture of the tibia. I wore a fixed brace, then a hinged brace and have just gone solo. I am also having physio. My PT today said that ACL is feeling really good but MCL is not repairing well at all. I am very active and dance, ride and bike, my PT said i will probably need surgery on ACL and poss MCL. I have heard alot of bad things about the surgery and was just wondering if anyone else has had a combination fixed? I, also worried about recovery times as i have a horse and am worried im gonna have to sell him! I am 21.
Any advice??? Sorrry about the rambling essay!

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Up in the air!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
if your acl is doing Ok then you can live with a partial tear.  I had a scope and OS said he found a partial tear but he said I'd be OK to return to karate with it.  I havn't yet but that is because of the other knee.  So you might just need the mcl repaired.  I don't know about the recovery for that but I've been told that with ACL reconstruction it takes 9 montsh to a yaer to get back into your sports again.  ACl reconstruction is reckoned very successful if you have a good smooth recovery with a good pt.  I've also heard that the new ACl is no more lvu7lnerable to tears than you old one before the injury, but plenty of people do seem to manage it anyway.  A lot can go wrong if you overexercise it too early but also if you under exercise it.  If you don't have a problem with instability then you don't need it.  My knee is asstable as ever now that my quads are strong.

As for the MCl I don't know
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support