Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Do I have a problem with my knee after ACL reconstruction?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline juliasmithx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi,

I am 11 weeks post op after an ACL hamstring reconstruction.  I went back to work (as a PE teacher) a week ago and am now on my feet a lot more than previously.  I have been wearing a knee support and have not been doing anything strenuous (e.g., no running or demos) but it is a bit sore at the back of the knee - I can only describe it as a pinching sort of feeling.  Do you think that I have a problem with the reconstruction or am I just being hugely paranoid!!??  I only ask as my physio said that this time is a very dodgey time as it is the time when the graft is at most risk of failing due to vascularisation?

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Julia

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Do I have a problem with my knee after ACL reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »
Hi Julia,

as a PE teacher they should have written you off sick for at least 12 to 16 weeks because you are on your feet all day! I was off for 16 weeks when I had an ACLr while teaching.

The soreness/pain at the back of the knee could be anyone of a number of things, but because it is at the back of the knee, it is unlikely to be your graft. It could be a muscle strain where the hamstrings insert or maybe just very tight calf muscles after your period of inactivity. Monitor it and report back to your surgeon/PT if it gets any worse or if it starts to swell.

You are right about the vascularization - everyone has a different timeframe but the rule of thum is take it easy in the period between 6 and 12 weeks for sure - no open-chain exercises, pivoting, jumping, etc. The primary aim in the early phases is to concentrate on reduction of the swelling, mobilization and getting full extension and as much flex as possible (not pushing it though). I was cleared for strength training at round the 16 week mark each time. As I'm now a desk-jockey after my last operation I was able to return to work at 6 weeks but wearing a brace.

What type of repair did you have? Did you have any other problems to take care off such as a meniscus repair/trim or an MCL sprain/tear? This kind of info can help people here to give you ideas and strategies to cope or whether you should get back to oyur surgeon ASAP!

Good luck and hold back on the demos for a while!

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline juliasmithx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Do I have a problem with my knee after ACL reconstruction?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks very much for your reply.  I just had a straight forward ACL reconstruction using the hamstring tendon - no other problems in the knee.  You have put my mind at rest though I think I'm just so worred about it going wrong!!!
I am being very careful and keeping off my feet as much as possible.
Thanks again :)